Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times

Advertisements

I would never recommend their installers either...HORRIBLE experience in Vegas with the sub-contractors they used for flooring and I am a easy going type person. NONE of the subs spoke English...neither the store nor the sub -contracted company would take responsibility for the failure to install kitchen tile properly....they did no leveling or sanding of the concrete slab and in some areas this actually so extreme it posed a tripping hazard!
Totally got the runaround for MONTHS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
After living through 3 reroofing jobs I will say it's not a place I'm looking to pinch pennies or save a buck. When it was time I called a well known local roofing co. that's been around for years and will no doubt be around for years and let them handle everything. I just want it done and I don't want to think or worry about it for 15-20 years.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I would never recommend their installers either...HORRIBLE experience in Vegas with the sub-contractors they used for flooring and I am a easy going type person. NONE of the subs spoke English...neither the store nor the sub -contracted company would take responsibility for the failure to install kitchen tile properly....they did no leveling or sanding of the concrete slab and in some areas this actually so extreme it posed a tripping hazard!
Totally got the runaround for MONTHS!
Grinding a slab level is never included in the installation price. There's an acceptable amount of waviness expected in any slab, beyond that, the installer should have simply refused the install, instead of trying to make it work.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 14,358 times
This is always a mystery to me...I know these companies (big box retailers) buy and sell more floorcovering than anyone else. As a result they can AND DO offer lower pricing than ALL the competition. I should qualify that as ALL LEGITIMATE floorcovering retailers. If someone is operating out of their van...then they can offer a $40.00 a sy yd carpet for $10.00 a sq yd...saying that they beat even the big boxes. However, these "legit" installers offer the tailight guarantee...the carpet is guaranteed as long as you can see their tailights! Of course they all say they guarantee for x amount of time...I have only heard nightmares about trying to get anything accomplished when there is a problem. The bottom line is why would you buy from someone else who offers what might be a better deal? The old saying is: you get what you pay for...and I think Lowe's and Home Depot will be around long after those "cheaper, better guys" go out of business.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 14,358 times
Default Tailight Guarantees...

This is always a mystery to me...I know these companies (big box retailers) buy and sell more floorcovering than anyone else. As a result they can AND DO offer lower pricing than ALL the competition. I should qualify that as ALL LEGITIMATE floorcovering retailers. If someone is operating out of their van...then they can offer a $40.00 a sy yd carpet for $10.00 a sq yd...saying that they beat even the big boxes. However, these "legit" installers offer the tailight guarantee...the carpet is guaranteed as long as you can see their tailights! Of course they all say they guarantee for x amount of time...I have only heard nightmares about trying to get anything accomplished when there is a problem. The bottom line is why would you buy from someone else who offers what might be a better deal? The old saying is: you get what you pay for...and I think Lowe's and Home Depot will be around long after those "cheaper, better guys" go out of business.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
All they do is contract with local installers for a discount price. The installers give them a deal to get the volume. THus, whether you get good or bad people depends on whether your home depot has contracted with good or bad installers. More often it depends on whether your particualr job gets assigned to one of their better installers or worse installers. Frequently that well recommended local company you are looking for to perform the work, also contracts to do installations through Home Depot, only at a discount price. When they work through Home Depot, they do nto put their A list guys on the job. They are doing the owrk at a discounted rate and their name is not on the job, Home Depot's is.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM

155 posts, read 564,139 times
Lowe's contracts jobs out to contractors who do not have enough work...

The Contractors do not have enough work for a reason, they have a bad reputation,

A good contractor works for a higher price, so you want a cheap job find a cheap contractor, lot of them out there, and many find work at Lowe's even behind the counter..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post

The Contractors do not have enough work for a reason, they have a bad reputation,

A good contractor works for a higher price, so you want a cheap job find a cheap contractor, lot of them out there, and many find work at Lowe's even behind the counter..
I bought a toilet and installation from Lowes. A panel truck with lettering naming a local plumbing company arrived with and installed the toilet. While parked in front of the house they pit up a sign that said doing a Lowes installation which they removed when they left.

They removed old, installed new, asked me to inspect the job, asked me if I wanted the old toilet or should they take it away. I said take it away. I got their card for future reference.

I got a call from Lowes a day or so later asking was I happy with the install. I was.

Now two weeks earlier I had bought the same toilet at Lowes, lugged it home, hired a local plumber to install, and take the old away. My bottom line cost for both was about the same. The Lowes plumber was less but there was a toilet delivery charge.

All in all, I would go the Lowes route again.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post

This - THIS - is the entire story!

Lowes, Home Depot and/or Menards do NOT have their own installation crew(s). They offer "contractors" jobs for a certain price, and if the contractor wants to do the job, they accept. Good contractors are almost always too busy doing their own work, for better money, than the guys who accept jobs through Lowes & HD.

In addition, because these "contractors" are not dealing with you directly, they feel even less obligation to do the job right, or come back and fix what was done incorrectly. They have nothing riding on customer satisfaction.

When it comes to hiring work done, always try to find a local guy with a good reputation. Period.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
All in all, I would go the Lowes route again.
I'm glad you had such a good experience. Seriously!

You're one of the fortunate ones.

And the contractor is fortunate too, because next time you'll call him instead of going through Lowes. And you'll tell your friends and neighbors about him, which increases the likelihood that he'll get more business.

This is excellent, and the way it SHOULD be. Unfortunately, not everyone gets this kind of guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House