Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
We now have a lawnmower for our lawn. We've never had a yard or a mower before, so this is all new. How do you transport the gas from the gas station back home for the mower? We put the gas container for the lawn mower in two plastic trash bags, and put it in the trunk, and filled it up and brought it back like that, and even though it was enclosed in two plastic bags it stank up the car horribly, and the smell of gasoline will not come out, even though it was in the trunk.

What is the right way to go about doing this so as to not make your whole car reek of gasoline? We don't have a pickup truck or anything like that.
The only addition I will add is safety,always place container on ground to prevent static electricity,very dangerous to fill on tailgate also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
I just put the gas container on the floorboard in front of the back seats and have no smell. I have a containter from Sears that requires me to push a button for it to pour but it seals just like any other gas can I seen.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Honda Dealers, the power equipment kind, have a great little gas can... about $30 for the small size.

Honda Generator No Spill Gas Can 1.25 Gal: Home & Garden at Bizrate.

It is a little heavier in construction and has the best spout I've found because of the spring loader push button that regulates flow... no spills and always secure.

I tend to think my set-up is the best... I have a portable fuel line with diverter valve installed in my truck... I just bring the mower up to the truck and pull out the nozzle and fill the tank... all the gas comes from the truck fuel tank... been doing it this way for 20 years

Old 08-17-2010, 07:29 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Transport has been covered by everyone else, but I'll tackle the odor issue. Place a coffee can full of charcoal briquettes in the trunk, it will absorb the odor. You can also use coffee grounds to overpower the gasoline odor if it is really bothersome.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I use the same gas can that you use, and have transported them home 9 miles from a station in the back of my Subie wagon. Never had any leakage or smell from this, although I do make a point of driving with the sunroof open and the windows down, just in case. I carry it just like it's pictured above, with the nozzle in place and the yellow cap on securely.

I think what happened is that you didn't have the nozzle seated in place and the black ring turned down securely to seat it. It doesn't need to be very tight, but it does need to be properly seated and sometimes they don't all line up readily. You might want to try loosening the cap a little bit, wiggle the nozzle to see if it's seated, and then re-tighten the cap again.

Also, don't use a bigger gas can than you need ... if a 1/2 gallon can is adequate for your needs, then only buy and store the small amount.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
No we used exactly the container that you posted here. It looked exactly like that.

And we put it in two trash bags as double protection against spills.

I don't think anything leaked in the trunk.

However, the car absolutely reeked of gasoline. The gasoline smell will not come out of the car. I'll have to leave the windows down for a couple of days and see if that helps. But right now it is undriveable practically.
Perhaps you overfilled the gas can and it spilled? I usually leave mine a half gallon shy of the "fill line".

Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Use extreme caution when gasoline is stored in a confined space such as a vehicle's trunk...

There was a tragic case several years ago where the can tipped in the truck spilling most of the contents... the driver, from inside the car noticed the strong smell of gasoline and it exploded when the trunk was opened... theory is there was a small spark caused from the trunk light.

There also have been cases where the brake lights sparked a fire...

Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM

118 posts, read 223,639 times
Never enclose the gas container in bags or anything else. Never put a gas container in a trunk. Never smoke when there is a gas can in the vehicle. The Fire Department recommends never having gas containers in a vehicle at all, but I don't know how you get gas for a lawn mower delivered.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:40 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Just get an electric mower and avoid the issue entirely.

Or get a good metal can like this one or a jerry style.
Shop Eagle 5-Gallon Metal Gasoline Can at Lowes.com

Old 08-16-2016, 06:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Not to be a gloom and doomer, but my dad spilled gas in his former car trunk and the smell never went away. At least it still smelled when he turned it in and the end of the lease. He tried all the tricks and thought it went away, but then when winter came and the car was sealed up - stinko. He left the trunk open in the sun, put in charcoal, coffee, various odor removers, steam cleaned the carpet int he trunk, took it to the dealer and they tried something they had. At least they did nto charge him when he turned the car back in. Maybe they could not smell it.

If it will not go away after a year or so, try replacing the carpet padding and/or the carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House