Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

I have a 2 story garage, I want to put windows in the second story one above the garage door and the other end to get air movement. The studs are 12 inches apart, is there a good tutorial for this....is it worth me doing it, I am pretty good at most anything....I can get most any tools...needed....

Can I just cut the 2x4's inside and the plastic siding on the outside and insert the frame, then the window?

Is it that easy? Or would I be biting off more than I should?

Thanks..

Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
You need to frame in the window. It is not too hard. Here is how I would do it, not necessarily the correct way:

From the inside run a temporary header across the studs. I would use a 2x12 because I have a lot of them laying around. You have to make certain that the studs that you will cut are supported by the header transfering the load to other studs. You do not want your roof to sag. Use a bizillion long screws.

Cut the studs where you want the window.

remove the borrom portion of the studs.

BUild a knee wall (from the bottom of the window to the sill plate) You could try to do this using th ebottom part of the existing studs in place, but I would not do it that way. I would just build a new mini wall and nail the plate to the sill plate of the existing wall. For me that is easier. Less likely to make mistakes.

Build a window frame with a permanent header inside the cut off studs I would use 2 2x12s for the permanent header just because I have them laying around.

Once everything is square and nailed in tight, remove the temporary header.

Cut the siding and put the window in (do not forget flashing if needed and be sure to lap the flashing properly. Think about how water will travel down the face of the building and lap it so that water is directed away, not into the wall ).

trim it all out.

What I might be more inclined to do is to use multiple small windows that will fit between the existing studs. that makes it really easy.

I am asusming that you do nto have drywall inside. If you do, then it will have to be removed first.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Coldjensens,

Thank you for the quick reply, I would rather put several windows in than 1 big window in the middle, I did not even think of that....

I will check out the multiple windows...

If not, what you have given me, I believe, will do me fine....

Any other suggestions, would be great....or hints, or "this is what not to do"
would be great...

Old 08-21-2010, 07:53 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I have a 2 story garage, I want to put windows in the second story one above the garage door and the other end to get air movement. The studs are 12 inches apart,..,,,
Why not just install some vents? You can even mount a fan behind to encourage air flow.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I have a 2 story garage, I want to put windows in the second story one above the garage door and the other end to get air movement. The studs are 12 inches apart, is there a good tutorial for this....is it worth me doing it, I am pretty good at most anything....I can get most any tools...needed....

Can I just cut the 2x4's inside and the plastic siding on the outside and insert the frame, then the window?

Is it that easy? Or would I be biting off more than I should?

Thanks..

Chuck

Before you go cutting studs out, make sure that it's not a load bearing wall. If it is and you cut and remove the studs the load above you can collapse and you could get hurt or even killed.

busta

Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 AM

I was wrong about the width, about 20.5 inches between studs....

Here are pics of what I'm dealing with...

The outside pic is above the garage where I want to put the window, the inside picture of the wall (without the vent) is on the inside of the wall where I want to put the window.

The 3rd pic is the back wall vent....
Attached Thumbnails
Put a window where a window never was...-img_2925.jpg   Put a window where a window never was...-img_2926.jpg   Put a window where a window never was...-img_2927.jpg   Put a window where a window never was...-img_2928.jpg  

Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Here are framing details for walls-
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/...ming_Walls.pdf
It will give you what you need to frame a correct opening- Leaning towards the side of caution, because you have prebuilt trusses and gable walls. In theory, you probably could add the window without the header and sustain no loss in structural integrity.
The outside of course is a little different. You can't just "cut the vinyl" and throw the window in the hole. You'll need to remove a lot of sections to expose the opening- trim the window with flashing membrane, J-channel, then cut to size the vinyl sections and reinstall.

But, I'm with ferret'; if your ultimate achievement is to improve air circulation- I'd add another gable vent and a power roof ventilator (if you have power) or ridge vent. All of which would be as cheap as the window and far more easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House