Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times

Advertisements

Just seems like a waste of space. You have a toilet that can handle everything. Why put in a urinal that can only handle one thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM

205 posts, read 479,858 times
Our bathrooms are cleaned every other week in our office and there is no urinal cake in the urinal. People use it and flush it and it never smells. I don't have a urinal in my home but if I did I wouldn't think of it as a negative. I guess I'm more shocked at the negative stigma associated with urinals.

manderly: I can guess it's the same reason some toilets are built with different flush settings? Save water?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
If you've got a shower stall you don't need a urinal.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you've got a shower stall you don't need a urinal.
A shower or...

a window...

a sink...

a litter box...

or an empty shampoo bottle of hers...

Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,987,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A shower or...
a window...
a sink...
a litter box...
or an empty shampoo bottle of hers...
Oh come on ... now that's going too far ...

Spoiler
Cats don't like others using their bathroom.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
wife thinks im nuts??she may be right?? anyway we are going to build a new house and i was thinking of putting in a urinal in the bathrooms,then i wont have to put seat down,wont miss my target,wont get any seat wet??floor wet, lets hear it guys/girls what do you think..........
I love the idea and have considered the possibility if my family ever gets around to custom building. There is no reason that your own personal urinal would get "really nasty". Public urinals at, for example, the ballpark get gross because some drunk ole' boy does not have control over his stream width, stream direction or flow rate and gets urine all over the floor at his feet. This forces the next guy, who may not be drunk or an ole' boy, to stand about 1/2 step farther from the target than he would over a pristine floor to avoid getting his shoes really nasty. Since he is farther away, when he starts to lose system pressure near the end of the delivery and during the three shakes he gets MORE urine on the floor. This forces the next guy to stand even further away and with a wider stance (which further erodes stream and flow rate control). In other words, I submit that the problem is not the urinal itself but rather their usually public nature. Think about it this way: if the only place you ever saw a toilet was at a movie theater, gas station, football game or other public venue (particularly those with alcohol sales on the premises) you would think that toilets were pretty danged disgusting also and probably wouldn't consider putting one in your home.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just seems like a waste of space. You have a toilet that can handle everything. Why put in a urinal that can only handle one thing?
While a urinal doesn't "do" number two, a bathroom with only a toilet is just a single seater.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
If you get a urinal, get the kind that sits in the floor and goes up the wall about four feet. Those are less likely to result in messiness.

Have you ever used a urinal while wearing shorts? Depending on the kind, most of them have quite a lot of spashback which you do not notice when wearing pants. It is just a tiny mist that will not show up, or smell bad or anything. Still I do not want it on me. I quit using them even in public after using them while wearing shorts.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 AM

132 posts, read 467,351 times
They make high end urinals......I've personally installed them in 2,3,4 million dollar homes.
They do not smell, and because they use very little water they are better for the environment.

To add to the women verses men argument, I've worked as a plumber at UMass Amherst, Amherst College, Smith College, Mount Holyoke, in the dorms, frat, and sorority houses, and trust me women are by far nastier then men.

If you want a urinal get one, just design your bathroom accordingly.....

I find it amusing how disgusted, and down right nasty some of the responses were to your question, but after looking at the profiles I understood.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
While a urinal doesn't "do" number two, a bathroom with only a toilet is just a single seater.
So you expect multiple people to use the bathroom at the same time because it has a urinal in it?

And not only doesn't it do number two, it also doesn't "do" women. So it is only covering 25% of possible situaions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House