Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM

121 posts, read 430,243 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago we tore out carpet on the first floor of our house and put down hardwoods. The new floor looks great, but now we have this echo echo echo effect in our living room--it has 20 foot ceiling, so really, we shouldn't be surprised, but it never occurred to us this would happen.

In an attempt to correct the problem, I put down an area rug near our couch and put a carpet runner on the stairs (which is located on the back wall in the living room). It may have helped a little, but not much.

The windows are about 15 feet high, and because they look out to our bird feeder and lovely woods, we don't want to cover them with curtains even though I know the expanse of glass isn't helping the echo effect.

When we were searching for a house in the Triangle, I recall that many that we looked at had high ceilings. Surely I'm not the only one with an echo problem around here?

I would appreciate any advice about what to do to absorb some of the sound so that our living area doesn't have that "empty house" sound.

I've looked at sound absorption panels online, but I would rather look at something sold locally before paying that much money for something that could totally change the look of my room. I have searched for a local option, but can't find anything. Have any of you had experience with this?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:45 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Artwork, painting on canvas on a frame, not a board, tapestry, textile art...
Anything with a soft surface, texture, multi-faceted that may be hung and not bounce sound so efficiently.

I was considering hanging a Persian rug for decoration, but it is an antique and there is a lot of sunlight. Something like that would help greatly with echo, I think.
And with the 18 1/2 ceiling, we have one side with a balcony, some wall offsets, and very little echo.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Curtains, valances, upholstered walls, tapestries...

Lots of different ways to break up the echo effect.

From very traditional looking stuff to high tech mod looking "speakers as art" I have seen dozens of was to reduce the reverberations.

Sound is not that different than light -- any hard surface is like a mirror and bounces the sound around. If you shine a flashlight at black velvet almost nothing gets reflected -- you can go for the George Costanza solution

Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Artwork, painting on canvas on a frame, not a board, tapestry, textile art...
Anything with a soft surface, texture, multi-faceted that may be hung and not bounce sound so efficiently.

I was considering hanging a Persian rug for decoration, but it is an antique and there is a lot of sunlight. Something like that would help greatly with echo, I think.
And with the 18 1/2 ceiling, we have one side with a balcony, some wall offsets, and very little echo.
This is good advice, any soft fabric material will help absorb the sound and reduce the reverberation you are getting from all the hard surfaces. In addition to the materials suggested above, you can install acoustical ceiling tiles or sound absorbing batts behind a lattice or grid of varnished wood, that has spaces between the wood slats so sound can penetrate and be absorbed by the softer material behind it. Rampart :: Products :: Acoustic Wall Panels :: RA 6 :: Acoustic Panel with Wood Battens

There are numerous styles of rugs that would look great as wall hangings, available in many different styles and sizes.

Rugs | Shop Area Rugs at HomeDecorators.com

Ceiling baffles:

Rampart :: Products :: Acoustic Wall Panels :: Ceiling Systems :: RAB 1 :: Ceiling Baffles

Rampart :: Products :: Acoustic Wall Panels :: Ceiling systems :: RAC 3 :: Oversize Panels

Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Hang an antique crazy quilt on one wall.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirlRaleigh View Post
The windows are about 15 feet high, and because they look out to our bird feeder and lovely woods, we don't want to cover them with curtains even though I know the expanse of glass isn't helping the echo effect.
You don't have to "cover" the windows, just use panels like this:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House