Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM

76 posts, read 304,027 times

Advertisements

Is it better to brush or spray hardboard masonite? Some posts on here indicate brushing is better... however, I've been told that it's all about the application.

I have a quote to have the house sprayed with 1 coat SW SuperPaint - which according to contractor should last 5-7 years. The cost to paint it includes caulking and power washing. My house is relatively on the small side, 2 story though. Cost is quoted close to 3K - seems on the high end for 1 coat of spray. Trim will be brushed though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I know we have discussed this before and I'm sure I posted in that thread.

We built our home 20 years ago with Masonite. I've had the home painted twice. We usually paint every 8 years or so. I find that as long as you keep the masonite clean and you maintain it, you'll have to paint less.

Having said that, I have used The Paint Company both times. Steve BRUSHES. I can't remember...but it is either 1 coat on the masonite and 2 coats on the trim or is it 2 coats on the masonite and 1 coat on the trim??? Maybe you can find the old thread!

Vicki

Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
The important thing is to get the underside edges coated well with paint. It is far better to brush masonite siding. If spraying, everything should be backbrushed.

I would also HIGHLY recomend upgrading on the materials. I would use either SW Duration or Ben Moore Aura.
For a couple hundred more in materials you get a far superior coating.

Just one painter/carpenters opinion....

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Brush, without question. The lower lip and overlap needs to be extremely well covered to prevent deterioration. Moisture hangs on the lip of the siding board via surface tension, and if that underside edge is not fully protected, the hardboard siding (masonite is actually just a brand) will suck that moisture up like a sponge. Also, the nail heads should all be caulked/sealed as well due to those areas being another entry point for moisture. It is more expensive to paint that way, but not nearly as expensive as it is to replace your siding.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
sg-
couldn't have explained it any better.^^^^

Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM

76 posts, read 304,027 times
The undersides can't be properly coated by spraying? Why doesn't spraying properly coat these - just curious. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm being told by the contractor that it's fine to spray this type of siding.

And isn't is not good to seal the overlaps with paint? By overlaps, I mean if you stand under the siding looking up, you can see a very small gap between the lip and the board below it.
The house isn't painted like that now - meaning, these overlays aren't sealed.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:27 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
http://www.ci.aurora.or.us/RULES/OR%20Aurora%20Appendix_files/image030.jpg (broken link)
Masonite siding is basically a clapboard. Each board overlaps the previous board- as applied from bottom to top.
The bottom edge- that 3/8" thickness- on every board is what is suspect to deterioration and rot because it doesn't get a sufficient amount of paint when being sprayed. Versus being painted with a brush- getting a good coat of paint on that bottom edge.
And since the boards don't have a minute drip edge- they tend to hold a lot more water- as sg had mentioned previously.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Spraying is fine as long as the painters actually know how to spray.You should always overlap by 50% and at an angle to coat the undersides but most don't do this.There's no need to back brush paint if applied right only stain needs back brushing.

As far as the materials S&W Super Paint is good and if you want you can upgrade to either Duration or Resilience.Personally I'd stay away from the Aura,we've had more problems than good results with both their interior and exterior paints.At $50.00/gal. it should basically apply itself.

As long as it's prepped right and washed good you should get 6-8 years out of a paint job,weather conditions will pay a major factor in how long you'll get. The more sun exposure you have it'll break down the paint faster and I recommend re-painting the sunnier sides every 3-4 years.Also power washing every few years helps extend the life by keeping it cleaner and dirt free,especially here in the N'East where we have a lot of acid rain and harsh winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House