Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:38 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I need to buy a new sofa, but I've so many awful reviews online about so many brands that I don't even know where to begin. I had my eye on a Crate & Barrel sofa, but the furniture I've purchased from there has not always been very sturdy, which makes me hesitant to drop $1500 on a sofa. I've considered Jennifer Convertibles, Ashley, Broyhill, Pottery Barn, West Elm, IKEA (yuk), Blu Dot, and Macy's (not sure of the brands), but nearly everything has lousy reviews. Some have good reviews from people who've just purchased their furniture and think it's great, though those reviews are not helpful, since I'm concerned about long-term use. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM

167 posts, read 864,817 times
Sounds like the same thing I went through. I needed something that was comfortable, looked good and was indestructable (three kids, one dog). I found the same types of reviews for everything I was interested in. Just when I almost gave up, I found a complany online called "Casco Bay Furniture." I swear this is going to sound like an infomercial but...I pulled the trigger and ordered a couch without sitting on it. It took a long time to get it, but it was worth the wait. Awesome. It is nicer than anything I saw or sat on in the furniture stores. It's worth a look!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Thank you! I'm terrified of buying something I can't sit on, though. How do I know what I'll get? I will have to consider this option, though.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 PM

I've googled this place and have found some really excellent reviews. Their sofas also look exactly like what I'm searching for, so thank you, thank you, thank you! I really appreciate your response!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I can tell you right now, that website mezz recommended has quality furniture. My down stuffed sofa was the absolute best sofa I ever owed. It was a darn shame my dog ate it.

I haven't been able to find a quality sofa for under 2k since. Now that I've seen this Casco website, I'm seriously considering buying a sofa from there.

Free delivery too! Who would have ever imagined that furniture would be delivered for free from the internet?

Mezz, how long did it take for your sofa to be delivered?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Two very high quality sofa (and furniture) manufacturers are:

Henredon

Bernhardt

Check out their websites ... it's really nice quality built stuff made to last ... but it isn't cheap.

You get what you pay for!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Eight months ago I bought this sofa (in a spring-green microfiber velvet) from ZGallerie:

It's called the Soho sofa. May not be your style, and that's fine. But the sofa does appear to be well constructed and sturdy. The "downside" would be that the seat cushion is foam -- not down, or down-wrapped foam. On the other hand, it's very comfortable. Firm, not squishy -- but not hard, either. I love it. Love the look, the lines, the fabric. Took about 8 weeks, I think, to be delivered after I ordered it, and cost was about $1200. One of the factors that decided me on this sofa was that they had about 80 fabric options from which to choose, with no price increases from fabric to fabric. (Unlike at Crate & Barrel, where the Petrie sofa I had my eye on started at $1600 for stock fabric and increased to $2100 as I selected fabrics.)

It's no Henredon, that's certain, but I don't have a Henredon budget, and this sofa was the perfect choice for me, my lifestyle, my taste, and my financial circumstances.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Hello,
I need to buy a new sofa, but I've so many awful reviews online about so many brands that I don't even know where to begin. I had my eye on a Crate & Barrel sofa, but the furniture I've purchased from there has not always been very sturdy, which makes me hesitant to drop $1500 on a sofa. I've considered Jennifer Convertibles, Ashley, Broyhill, Pottery Barn, West Elm, IKEA (yuk), Blu Dot, and Macy's (not sure of the brands), but nearly everything has lousy reviews. Some have good reviews from people who've just purchased their furniture and think it's great, though those reviews are not helpful, since I'm concerned about long-term use. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Don't know if this fits your taste but we love our Lazy-Boys sofa. I have one of their recliner for over 10 yrs and boy I absolutely abused that thing (I was single then), I ate, slept and everything just short of having sex on that thing, it simply refused to break and is comfortable as heck. So when I got married and we were looking for a "nicer" sofa, I did not hesitate to go back to Lazy-Boys.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
I'd stay away from Pottery Barn. Most goods I've purchased from them has been overpriced for the quality of the item. My 8 year old couch was purchased at Fortunoff (I think they are out of business), however whatever goods they sold were quality.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Keep in mind, most of the people who write reviews online are disgruntled customers. They may only represent a small percentage of customers, the majority of which might be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House