Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,080 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My sisters house floods often in the basement when it rains a lot. It always comes through the floor drain in the basement. I have seen stand pipes in older homes before. I told her I would look into it for her but can't really find anything online about them, like where to buy them, if they sell kits, how high they should be..etc...Any tips out there? Pro's and con's of them? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
PlumbingSupply.com - Flood Guards For Floor Drains - check valves to prevent flooding

Any local plumbing supply store should have them. Chance are the box stores won't. If you're moderately handy, they aren't very difficult to install, and the price is going to be less than $30 for everything.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
? A standpipe is a municipal water tower. - literally, standing pipe. It is used to allow stored water to have pressure. JimRom is right, a ball check valve would be a decent solution.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 PM

A standpipe is a pipe that sticks out of the drain that is 3 feet tall or so. There is a picture of one in the link that JimRom sent, but that floor guard looks way better! At least its not a pipe sticking out floor! Are those flood guards pretty affective? If the drain is 4" do you get a 3" so it will fit in it? Or do you get a 4"?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Technically, Harry is right. However, someone started calling the standing drains standpipes, and it stuck.

You get whatever size drain you have. If you have 4", you get 4". The standing pipe is actually a better option, as the check valves can sometimes get clogged with debris and not close properly.

Fair warning, if water is returning through the drain in the basement, it could be signs of trouble with the line. If the line is clogged and the only way for the water to go is into the basement, a heavy rain will flood the basement even with a 3' vertical extension on the drain.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM

Thank you guys! I bought the flood guard 4" "float" model in hopes that it will prevent water from coming through the drain. Any installation tips or tricks or is it pretty straight forward?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Pretty straight forward, assuming the house is modern construction.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:47 AM

367 posts, read 917,662 times
Default Question on standpipes vs float

My neighborhood in Chicago has problems with sewer backup during extreme downpours (3-4 inches). The city tends to be slow on the trigger to open the locks, probably since they hate to flood Lake Michigan with raw sewage. I lot of the homes were built before 1900 around me and tend not to have sump pumps.

I've been getting lucky over the years but recently lost my furnace due to water damage so am trying to come up with a inexpensive option. I have three drains and a toilet in my basement and was considering capping and removing the toilet. I have my eye on the Flood Guards.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/how-t...ood-guard.html

The question I have is can I get away with just installing the Float Model without a standpipe on my three drains. I have heard that without the standpipe I may risk damage to my basement due to extreme pressure but cannot seem to find any information on this. Anyone know if you need standpipes in this case or can I get away with a check valve?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
If the problem is the sanitary sewer, something like this would be a more logical solution:
Oatey 4 in. PVC Backwater Valve-43904 - The Home Depot

Placed outside the home, any problem stays outside the home.

If you have ground water and storm drain issues, then what you propose makes sense. Any pressure would be minimal, and a standpipe would only be a belt and suspenders approach in case of a valve failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House