Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,688,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I'm a modernist and I love completely white walls. It's a matter of taste.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zqFoq3qej2...3-exterior.png
Hear ye, hear ye!

I have a modern line bright tomato red sofa by Nicoletti Italia, 2 pristine white wassily chairs from DWR, a floater modern table 36" by 36" from Ligne Roset and a very real antique 20's medicine cabinet of paper white just like the one pictured with West Elm's parson's table which is also in my living room.

And my walls, which I choose to keep is "white". White is very very "in" right now...
Decorating Trends for April 2011

Does not mean I don't appreciate color... just because I am bored with the "cafe trended" colors my old place used to have (avocado green, sage green, yellow, khaki, sand color, burnt orange) for the last 7 years... why can't "I" "the home owner" choose white simply just because "I like it"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM

34,110 posts, read 83,064,731 times
The very used house I recently bought came freshly painted by the sellers...
a light yellowy creamy "neutral" with white trim. Works just fine.

(Even if I'd be just as happy with white walls)

Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,688,360 times
To add...
It is not only the interior decorators and /or people educated with the ways of art that have the "right'" taste and needs to be hired so only they can show the other people (who aren't exposed as they are per say) the right way...

believe it or not, with today's internet world with zillions & gazillions availability of pictures to inspire people... there actually exist people who has never been into decorating be as good or even better than people into decor as their job or training. As there also exist interior decorators who just as equally have no taste and don't even know what works with what even though they could be years into their job field or educated up to the PHDs & then some.

Interior decorating is modern day job. Mankind do not need this line of job to survive. Unlike a builder/contractor who actually build that shelter (a basic necessity) for mankind. So I still don't buy that tag line that a homeowner needs to hire one or doom shall befall them.

Plus with the right amount of money, one can even access all the latest in the show gadgets (decor, furnishings) that supposedly only people in the interior decorating world are exposed to or are reserved for them to purchase for their clients... so if oneself is apt with the right inspirations & ideas, who else should control one's decisions but "the self"?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,553,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
People have plenty of excuses, but its not $50 to feed a family vs $50 in paint. if you can't feed your family, you shouldn't be buying a new house, you should be buying something either smaller, older, etc etc.

there are plenty of people who have money, who spend a lot on their house and "toys" who have white walls and nothing on them as far as pictures, paintings, window coverings etc.

In my opinion, you get a free pass for a little bit when you just move in, maybe a year? after that, if you have plain white walls, no pictures, etc, I judge. it may not be right, but I do.

its amazing what color can do to a space. it doesn't have to be bold, but adding something to the wall other than harsh builder white really does make it nicer.

we just "built" we did a whole house remodel. we picked a color for every room. when I was done I did think that I may have made a mistake or two, but I'm going to live with it for a little while and see. basially the downstairs seems too beige. the kitchen/dining room are an olive color, the living room is a beige, and the open hall is 2 shades darker than the living room.
except that some people are not into interior design. They are quite happy with a few things on the wall and they don't need every corner filled. It is what you put your focus on and for some interior design is not it.

Some people enjoy their home even if it isn't up to the interior designers idea of a great room. What is the most important thing is that the home owner is happy with their home where it matches with the other room or not.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,553,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Actually, it's not a priority for most people because they are not even aware that they have the OPTION to change the color.

So in other words, it's more that I CARE, and I can't help but show people that they have OPTIONS.

Admittedly, I'm more aggressive and blunt on this forum but in real life I would make the suggestion in a tactful way.

Now get to painting Scientist Mom! And you better use the GOOD paint like Benjamin Moore.
Have they been in a bubble? I would assume they would watch TV a few times and sure that they passed the paint swatches in some store from time to time.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
White and beige are colors that will go with any thing is why. Lookig at those pictures the first and last is something I could not live with personally.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
We went with flat Navajo White (the color that's in thousands and thousands of houses in the Southwest) for a reason: We have a lot of art, framed photos, decorations. A ton of books and bookcases. Didn't want anything competing with that. The rooms don't need any extra color. We just re-decorated our living room and it's "us". I love it. Very homey. Happy memories.

Plus we have outside views that vary from room to room. The white frames what is outside the windows and allows those colors to speak for themselves. The colors outside change according to the time of day, the season, the weather. The white is the constant that allows us to appreciate Mother Nature.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-12-2011 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We went with flat Navajo White (the color that's in thousands and thousands of houses in the Southwest) for a reason: We have a lot of art, framed photos, decorations. A ton of books and bookcases. Didn't want anything competing with that. The rooms don't need any extra color. We just re-decorated our living room and it's "us". I love it. Very homey. Happy memories.

Plus we have outside views that vary from room to room. The white frames what is outside the windows and allows those colors to speak for themselves. The colors outside change according to the time of day, the season, the weather. The white is the constant that allows us to appreciate Mother Nature.
I love Navajo white! It's so warm. Also, I've found that it too, changes just a bit throughout the day, with the changing light.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,587,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I'm a modernist and I love completely white walls. It's a matter of taste.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zqFoq3qej2...3-exterior.png
That is a VERY NICE home.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,514,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
That is a VERY NICE home.
It's designed by my favorite architect, Richard Meier, who did the Getty Museum. White is sort of his trademark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House