Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times

Advertisements

One last thing about the interior designers, I still always recommend people to hire one just to talk to because most people are NOT really experienced with art or have the knowledge of basic interior design.

Colors, choice of furniture, lighting, ect, all needs to flow from one room into the next which is different then what people normally do which is hodge podge non matching things they like together and hope for the best...lol

Your best bet to see top quality interior design is in a model home in a new development. Wow! I have been in some nice model homes in California, they are a site to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,767 times
Default They Dont't get it Cali

There is a calm about the back burner mindset of painting walls. ["I'll get around to it"].. ... Some never do, because the white doesn't bite them. If it was a vivid red instead.. let's say they bought a home they really, really loved, and it made them very happy, and they are busy people who cannot set aside the time to paint...maybe don't want strangers in their home while they are out working hard, long hours, but the red paint (for them) is annoying, irritating, not soothing, well, that would likely get them MORE motivated to buy the can of paint.. White paint DOES'NT light a fire to one's underside because its so passive a color, and creates passivity to the owner.. like a blase', detached relationship to their surroundings.

It doesn't occur to people to even go into a magazine, and find a photo that moves them, maybe they have similar furniture, and the background color works with the furniture pieces like their own, so they find an inspired color and copy it... because its just not a priority.

Remember interior design is an art that many do not dwell on or cultivate. Donating money to children with a cleft palate may be more of a priority than a $25 can of paint.

Your photos were over the top wonderful and it is certain anyone who can live like that would insist on color. God bless your money and your naivete.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
I know this housing bubble is hard on all jobs in housing... especially interior decorators since many people are decorating their own homes themselves than to spend for someone else to do it... hence it did not make sense in this economy for many 200+ home owners to hire a decorator period. Saying that, I just recently bought a 300+ home and specializes in kitchen & bath designs. Was into housing business 7 years ago.

I would say in today's economy, many people (homeowners or not) are suffering alike but to some without the extra cash to spend... a $50 can of paint can mean that $50 food to feed the family or $50 gas/ electric bill to warm the family. So I would say interior decorating would be materialistic in concept in comparison the the basic needs of survival besides the mortgage payment... even if for something as inexpensive as paint.

My house is painted white by the sellers and it is still white now.... but it doesn't mean that I am not spending on other necessary(s) to maintain the house (need a lawn tractor since it has 1 plus acre "like immediately, and good for plowing the snow too", bought a generator since we were out of power for a week thanks to "Hurricane Irene", looking into other improvements to make the house more energy efficient etc.).

Besides, according to trend... white walls are very very "in".
white decor 2011 - Google Search

Just google "white decor"....
All you need for the colors is in your decorations, furniture, items you want to focus on...

Going white does not mean going "cheap" either when one focus on their collections (maybe their bright red wassily chairs, their bright blue custom spun glass foyer lamp etc.... than the focus on the walls (or the wall colors). But that of course does not mean wall colours aren't important in decor but only means that everyone have their own preferences... even when it comes to colours, white may be just as cool!

Everyone may not be the interior decorator but that does not mean that everyone is not to decorate their homes since they aren't one.

My motto may not be very advantageous to my business in home improvements (also the decorating line of business) but it is a simple function is more important than design... function can help a home owner eat, like a stove to help cook the food), but design is not the bread that feeds (unless you have the degree & job in it). Home is where one person puts their own ideas & thoughts, their memories, their moments in.... NOT where someone else puts their "other" foot in and tells you what to do of your home.

No one else but the home owner should really be the one to make their own house theirs... as a homeowner, with an art design degree... no one will be telling me how to decorate my house as my colors is not theirs. In my opinion that is.

So, in this decorating business... one can definitely & rightfully blame the economy for why there are many DIYs than to save time but not money (so they themselves don't have to go through the trouble to actually "look" & "research" what goes with what) to hire a decorator that is going to mark up a percentage of everything they buy & do for their clients.

Colors or not is but a very very personal homeowner's choice... Not the choice of the interior decorator.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
People have plenty of excuses, but its not $50 to feed a family vs $50 in paint. if you can't feed your family, you shouldn't be buying a new house, you should be buying something either smaller, older, etc etc.

there are plenty of people who have money, who spend a lot on their house and "toys" who have white walls and nothing on them as far as pictures, paintings, window coverings etc.

In my opinion, you get a free pass for a little bit when you just move in, maybe a year? after that, if you have plain white walls, no pictures, etc, I judge. it may not be right, but I do.

its amazing what color can do to a space. it doesn't have to be bold, but adding something to the wall other than harsh builder white really does make it nicer.

we just "built" we did a whole house remodel. we picked a color for every room. when I was done I did think that I may have made a mistake or two, but I'm going to live with it for a little while and see. basially the downstairs seems too beige. the kitchen/dining room are an olive color, the living room is a beige, and the open hall is 2 shades darker than the living room.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
They might just leave it that way since it was clean and just painted, thus giving them time to think about a color they might like on the next paint job.

I agree, white to me is ugly, but in some cases, it does look nice.

I am an avid painted so no room is to big or to small to paint, so painting is fun, but not everybody thinks like me or enjoys it as much as I do so therefore when moving into a brand new home with the flat white, is is just left that way.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 AM

356 posts, read 916,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Don't people know that the interior of the home is supposed to be PAINTED with color?! The builders only leave it flat white so you can paint it the color of your choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't get the all white house thing either. Just move to a sanatorium if you want that look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Builders paint flat white for one reason only; it is the cheapest paint job they can apply. With that said, I am in hundreds of houses a year, and a sizeable percentage do nothing interesting with the interiors. Sometimes it feels like I have been in the same house all week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
In my opinion, you get a free pass for a little bit when you just move in, maybe a year? after that, if you have plain white walls, no pictures, etc, I judge. it may not be right, but I do.
What is amazing me about this thread is the degree to which people care about the color of the walls IN OTHER PEOPLE'S HOMES. If you hate white/off-white walls and care to make wall color a priority in your home -fine, lovely... but it seems rude to me to judge other people's choices and priorities when it come to something as trivial as wall color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Some people actually like white or off-white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yup - our whole house is off-white. Thank you but we don't want or need an interior decorator. We get plenty of compliments on our home without one. We achieve color through our furnishings, window treatments and rugs. I find that using wall color limits decorating choices. Trends and fads in wall colors also come and go. Its less expensive and much more creative to change out accessories and only paint when needed.
I too like white and off-white walls. It is low stress, It is bright. Few things clash with it. I'm not totally against color; we are currently considering painting our living room a color to brighten up the room after buying beige furniture and my daughter wants her room painted blue BUT I cannot image my home with mostly colored walls. My bedroom has off-white walls with nothing hanging on them , but it is sunny with interesting slopped ceilings (cape cod style home), dark wood furniture in a slightly unconventional arrangement, and a pretty burgandy and gold quilt and I LOVE IT.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
What is amazing me about this thread is the degree to which people care about the color of the walls IN OTHER PEOPLE'S HOMES. If you hate white/off-white walls and care to make wall color a priority in your home -fine, lovely... but it seems rude to me to judge other people's choices and priorities when it come to something as trivial as wall color.
Agree with you Scientist Mom; why people are so judgemental of a home that someone else is living in, confuses me. Some people prefer colorful furniture and white walls. Friend lives in penthouse in NYC, white walls and black furniture...that's it. Penthouse costs a couple $M. Live and let live.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
there is a calm about the back burner mindset of painting walls. ["i'll get around to it"].. ... Some never do, because the white doesn't bite them. If it was a vivid red instead.. Let's say they bought a home they really, really loved, and it made them very happy, and they are busy people who cannot set aside the time to paint...maybe don't want strangers in their home while they are out working hard, long hours, but the red paint (for them) is annoying, irritating, not soothing, well, that would likely get them more motivated to buy the can of paint.. White paint does'nt light a fire to one's underside because its so passive a color, and creates passivity to the owner.. Like a blase', detached relationship to their surroundings.

It doesn't occur to people to even go into a magazine, and find a photo that moves them, maybe they have similar furniture, and the background color works with the furniture pieces like their own, so they find an inspired color and copy it... Because its just not a priority.

Remember interior design is an art that many do not dwell on or cultivate. Donating money to children with a cleft palate may be more of a priority than a $25 can of paint.

Your photos were over the top wonderful and it is certain anyone who can live like that would insist on color. God bless your money and your naivete.
+1

Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
People have plenty of excuses, but its not $50 to feed a family vs $50 in paint. if you can't feed your family, you shouldn't be buying a new house, you should be buying something either smaller, older, etc etc.

there are plenty of people who have money, who spend a lot on their house and "toys" who have white walls and nothing on them as far as pictures, paintings, window coverings etc.

its amazing what color can do to a space. it doesn't have to be bold, but adding something to the wall other than harsh builder white really does make it nicer.

we just "built" we did a whole house remodel. we picked a color for every room. when I was done I did think that I may have made a mistake or two, but I'm going to live with it for a little while and see. basially the downstairs seems too beige. the kitchen/dining room are an olive color, the living room is a beige, and the open hall is 2 shades darker than the living room.
I agree 100%!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post

Actually, it's not a priority for most people because they are not even aware that they have the OPTION to change the color.

So in other words, it's more that I CARE, and I can't help but show people that they have OPTIONS.

Admittedly, I'm more aggressive and blunt on this forum but in real life I would make the suggestion in a tactful way.

Now get to painting Scientist Mom! And you better use the GOOD paint like Benjamin Moore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House