Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times

Advertisements

So, we are looking at a house that has a ton of recent upgrades, roof, HVAC, new windows. But they didn't quite get to the kitchen. It's the only room in the house that needs work.

The cabinets are in pretty bad shape and I don't think I want to reface them - besides the wall oven (on the far right at the end) is very small. It has a brand new cooktop, but I'm not attached to that.

If I were to pull all the cabinets out and redo them along with the appliances (I don't need high end), how much am I going to have to spend? Here's a pic - it is a small kitchen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CH Kitchen.jpg
Views:	7635
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	91593
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
$5000 to maybe $20,000 completely depending on your selections. Its a very small area and it would help if you would give the perimeter dimensions and say if the floor (which looks in good shape) is staying or being replaced.

EDIT: Oh, I guess you could spend more if you pick a Viking stove and granite counters and a commercial ice machine in the island, but consistent with the house, my estimate will stand. recessed lighting and counter top lighting $1500, cabinets (????), I like solid color laminate counters $1500, Fridge, stove and dishwasher $2500-$4000, Sink, disposal and faucet $1000.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
$5000 to maybe $20,000 completely depending on your selections. Its a very small area and it would help if you would give the perimeter dimensions and say if the floor (which looks in good shape) is staying or being replaced.
We are going to go look at it again before making an offer and signing a contract (I'll get measurements!). I was thinking $20K would be the low end, so you've given me hope that this won't be a deal killer. The floor is in good shape - I don't like it, bt that's another decision for down the road. Thanks for the input!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We are going to go look at it again before making an offer and signing a contract (I'll get measurements!). I was thinking $20K would be the low end, so you've given me hope that this won't be a deal killer. The floor is in good shape - I don't like it, bt that's another decision for down the road. Thanks for the input!

I think $20,000 is the right number because you can really make it nice within that budget. I would make lighting a priority. Get the lighting supplier to spec it (how many watts, how many fixtures and where they are located) not the remodeler. They never know what they are doing when it comes to lighting.

I personally would not want a $600 stove and a $500 fridge and a $100 sink, but they are the top sellers so it is possible to do a small kitchen pretty cheaply. $5,000 is about what they spend for an urban loft kitchen that size in renovations here. you will have to cut a lot of corners to get down that low.

Consider being your own contractor. All the tasks are simple and require little coordination. And, no one gets any serious discounts on appliances so there is no savings there. The cabinets are the item with the highest markup and you probably have a decent manufacturer who sells direct to the public locally with layout and installation. They are everywhere as far as mid price cabinets are concerned. The laminate counter guys install their own work. So a plumber and electrician are all you need to finish the crew. The electrician and the plumber can buy your fixtures with their discounts, just be sure to know what they are. they are not entitled to mark up the fixtures if they are charging you to wire, plumb and install them. Not doubt you already have a painter.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Are going to keep the same layout? If not, the floor could be a problem. It all depends on whether they tiled under the cabinets or tiled up to the cabinets. Personally, I'd change the the layout. That island looks too small to be useful.

Cost-wise, the range given sounds good. We did our kitchen a few years ago and the cost was around $11,000, not including appliances (they died over a two year period before). That was me supplying the labor, so add that cost if you're contracting it out. As another poster recommends, do go to a cabinet store to price out cabinets (vs. big box store). They're more likely to give a better discount. We got 50-60% taken off the list price, plus shipping was included. I believe big box stores will charge for shipping special orders.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Our kitchen is not much bigger than yours. We just got an estimate for having it completely redone, including moving some things like the stove and fridge around. We do have taller ceilings, but our cabinets do not currently go all the way up. The estimate was build all new custom cabinets, to the ceiling, with opaque glass at the top, led cabinet lighting both inside and out, thick granite tops, sink, faucets, move stove from island to a wall and switch from electric to gas, extend the length of one cabinet/counter, a new island and new flooring was about $37,000. This did not include the price for appliances.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
20k on the minor side to about 40k on the major side (Austin numbers)
Take a look for yourself-

Remodeling Magazine: Home remodeling, kitchen and bath design, renovation, and building products for the professional remodeler

Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
I'd say 20K is in the ballpark if you are not moving anything, just replacing appliances, cabinets, sink, floor. You could get by with less, but you'd likely have to skimp a bit and do a lot of the work yourself. Decent cabinets are not cheap. A french door refrigerator (my favorite, with freezer on the bottom), decent stove, dishwasher, sink and decent faucet will run about 5K alone and you still have cabinets, countertops, lighting and floors to go.

We remodeled a kitchen a few years ago and found our best deal for cabinets was through a building supply store. One of their cabinet suppliers was offering a great deal on quartersawn oak cabinets. They were drop dead gorgeous.

As to countertops, I love granite with a lot of movement in it. Love cooking on it. Love looking at it. It appears that you have several small runs of countertop so likely could get a good deal with remnant pieces from a larger job.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Wow, great input all. The story on this house is that we already own a home but want to move closer to work and the soon-to-be grandchild, but we don't want to give up our current house. We plan to rent out the current home and live in the new one for about 5 years and then decide if we want to move back to the old house or sell it. In which case we might rent this one out. So, I don't want to do anything fancy or high end, I just need functional.

And yeah, that island is pretty worthless, LOL.

The $37K doesn't surprise me, I remodeled a bath in our house and got quotes that high. I'm hoping to stay in the $20-25K range. We have a friend who is a cabinet builder if he's not retired yet, so we'll probably go that route for cabinets, and I love granite so we'll spring for that as well. The idea of getting remnants is cool - I could spring for something better than a level 1 if we do that!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Wow, great input all. The story on this house is that we already own a home but want to move closer to work and the soon-to-be grandchild, but we don't want to give up our current house. We plan to rent out the current home and live in the new one for about 5 years and then decide if we want to move back to the old house or sell it. In which case we might rent this one out. So, I don't want to do anything fancy or high end, I just need functional.

And yeah, that island is pretty worthless, LOL.

The $37K doesn't surprise me, I remodeled a bath in our house and got quotes that high. I'm hoping to stay in the $20-25K range. We have a friend who is a cabinet builder if he's not retired yet, so we'll probably go that route for cabinets, and I love granite so we'll spring for that as well. The idea of getting remnants is cool - I could spring for something better than a level 1 if we do that!
If you want nice, new and functional you can easily do the job for $10,000-$20,000 if you can do some of your own labor. If you want higher end you will pay high end prices. If you think you might sell it that soon after buying it, I wouldn't put too much money into it. Update it but don't waste money. JMO.

You will have to redo the floor if you take out the island.

Here is a neat site. I don't know how accurate it is but you can give it a try.
ImproveNet Inc.: Project Tools > Estimators > Kitchen Estimator

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House