Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 06:29 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
I know this is an old response to an old thread - but you can even get induction capable cookware at Ikea. Induction is growing very slowly in popularity in the US - but it is growing. As a result, a lot more inexpensive cookware is becoming available and manufacturers are listing in their descriptions if something is induction capable.
One of the roadblocks to induction is initial cost. Traditional coil element units are cheap and are an easy DIY repair with very low cost parts. In rental properties in which the property owner must provide the appliance that initial cost to buy and cost to repair will have them choose coils over induction. If insurance companies lower rates on property if the owner switches to induction then rental properties may make the switch. A family on a low or fixed income can’t justify the initial cost of induction. Replacing cookware isn’t that simple for some families either. For some families they’re using cookware with sentimental value like Magnalite cookware for example. It was a gift or it was passed down from my mom or grandmother. For some, the inexpensive cookware they can afford don’t always have a perfectly flat bottom, one can’t exactly go to a store and take out each pot or pan to lay flat on a surface to see if the bottom is perfectly flat. Higher end cookware is more reliable but could be out of reach for some people. Natural gas, propane, and electric coils doesn’t care what type of cookware you use. Light weight cookware is a blessing to those with mobility issues like arthritis, spinal problems, or other medical conditions.

Another issue is if the current home has natural gas or propane and no electrical connection for an electric stove. How much would it cost to remove the gas line to the stove and run a new electrical line (breaker panel to wall) in order to be able to use an electric stove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 11:04 AM

1,492 posts, read 796,359 times
Also a regular electric slide in oven and range needs 30 amps where induction might need 90 amps.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Like most everyone I know, a gas stove is preferable for cooking. In the 3 houses we have owned 2 came with a gas stove, in the 3rd we replaced the electric with gas. It's a matter of personal preference, and what you are used to as a cook. For me it's the infinite power levels, not having to wait for the burner to heat up, and having immediately drop in temperature when turned down or off. In addition, with storm related winter power outages one can light the burner with a match and still cook.
With the planned shutdowns for fire danger as in California, the current trend for electrification and increased EV charging the temporary power outages may become more frequent until/unless the infrastructure is upgraded to handle demand.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:00 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olechick View Post
I have used these for over 25 years, and I am on my 2nd one now. I would love to remodel and have another but cannot find one. These are easy to clean and easy to use, you just cut the burner off about 2-3 minutes earlier than you normally would. It cools down just like a regular electric. You DON'T have all that awful glass to worry about spotting/streaking/scratching, etc. If you burn something on it-all you have to do is cut the burner up to highest for 2-3 minutes and it burns itself off! I don't know why this didn't catch on - I want it to make a come-back! LOL I really have enjoyed both of mine, especially the ease of cleaning since nothing could spill underneath! Glass cooktops are ok when they are brand new-my daughter in law goes half crazy trying to keep hers clean, and all I have to do is burn my off!
They sell commercial if you could use it - Vulcan - I think they are the same people who make wolf appliance s - located in MD

Old 09-21-2023, 07:42 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Tco

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
One of the roadblocks to induction is initial cost.
Because people are idiots and don’t look at TCO.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Also a regular electric slide in oven and range needs 30 amps where induction might need 90 amps.
False, 50.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
…replaced the electric with gas. …For me it's the infinite power levels, not having to wait for the burner to heat up, and having immediately drop in temperature when turned down or off.
You get all 3 desired attributes with induction.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:47 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Because people are idiots and don’t look at TCO.
Or they’re poor and don’t have the money to pay the sale price.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:30 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
What advantages did they offer to entice consumers to move away from available alternatives?
Easier to clean (food no dropping between the open coils).

We had them on a KitchenAid range when we built our house in late 1989. We did a remodel ~2010 and replaced the range with a similar one, except it has coils instead of solid burners. The solid ones became unavailable sometime during the 89-10 timespan.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:59 AM

752 posts, read 1,495,168 times
I had a stove with four solid elements in my old condo. It was a common American make (GE?, not certain) and from 1984, the year the house was built.
I loved having it as the solid plate elements were so easy to clean. The top of the stove was a black glass, which just added to the sleekness and made it all easy to clean. It had a green-led digital clock/prog. timer...it generally gave an appearance of appliance a bit newer than 1984 and so when I gave the kitchen a face-lift of new tile, counters, fridge, sink, paint, I kept the stove in place. It fit right into the newly rejuvenated kitchen! I sold the place in 2019 and the buyer, who was first to look at the property, remarked on that stove and was surprised to learn it was in fact original. I wish I still had one with solid elements! (The coil ones are just awful to clean and those pans under them get rusty and dirty very quickly....oh, and mice can squeeze down inside those by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House