Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times

Advertisements

I'm purchasing a house that has poorly functioning (20-30%) ambient electric heat built into the ceilings. My inspector said the best solution would be to disconnect that and connect new electric baseboards to the existing thermostats since they are all in good shape and the retrofit would be relatively simple. Replacing the ceiling heat would be complicated and expensive to say the least. I don't like the idea of all of that wall space lost but I can live with it. I'd appreciate any ideas / recommendations. It's a passive solar house btw so it warms up pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
The cost of a few thermostats is the least important factor in a retrofit.
Getting the wire to the spot(s) on the wall where the heaters go is the issue.

If you can get the wire there without too much disruption then those circuits can be run
through a relay and use a single 24V programmable thermostat.
---

Before all of that though my first thought is split pack heatpumps.
So... What is above the ceilings? Can you run the refr lines any easier?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
The main floor has entirely vaulted ceilings (no attic). The downstairs is partially below ground level so the walls all have an inch or so open space at the bottom behind the baseboards that allow easy access to run the wires. Upstairs they'd have have openings cut. I was also considering some sort of ductless heat/ac system similar to what you suggested but need to see how much it will cost. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I put electric baseboards in our sunroom. They were relatively cheap and connect into the 110 power supply. However they do nto put out all that much heat. In the peak of winter, they just keep the room tolerable (maybe 40 ish). The ones that put out a lot of heat run on 240. Maybe you arealdy have240 v. circuits for your existing heat.

You do not really lose wall space with radiators becasue you cna put furniture directly in front of them. Your furniture will have to be a couple of inches out form the wall, but usually you need to do that for outlet access anyway.

IT is expensive to heat with electric.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i find out of all heat sources electric heat couples itself to the room far better.

rule of thumb is figure 10 watts a sq ft if its an insulated area and 15 if its not.

another nice thing about electric is you still have heat if one heater fails as well as controlling each room seperatly.

when we had the house in the poconos i put electric baseboard in our bedroom so at night i didnt have to heat the entire house as much as the bedroom.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i find out of all heat sources electric heat couples itself to the room far better.

rule of thumb is figure 10 watts a sq ft if its an insulated area and 15 if its not.

another nice thing about electric is you still have heat if one heater fails as well as controlling each room seperatly.

when we had the house in the poconos i put electric baseboard in our bedroom so at night i didnt have to heat the entire house as much as the bedroom.
Are you in arizona?

We have two 1500 watt baseboard heaters in the sunroom, it is about 9x21. It is insulated but has a lot of windows. It cannot keep things warm when it gets below 20 outside, especially with wind.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Glass is killer for heating or ac but typically 15 watts per sq ft works for typical rooms that are surrounded by other heated rooms here in new york.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It cannot keep things warm when it gets below 20 outside, especially with wind.
What can?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
I would agree with Mrrational, that the Minisplits are the best solution. Also known as an air source heat pumps or Ductless mni minisplits. The Mitsubishi Hyper heat is the top of the line as far as efficiency. If these are out of your price rnge, I would never put in Baseboard units, been there, done that. I much prefer Radiant cove heaters. More efficient and they mount high on the wall so no room is lost. not much more money.

I have used them and they perforn well.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
I would first figure what is cheaper in your area: electricity, heating fuel, natural gas, propane, wood pellets, coal, or firewood. The next step would be to choose the right heater sold in the area, or a neighboring State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House