Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,729 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have some "natural" and inexpensive remedies for getting rid of household pest problems? This is to avoid expensive extermination services. I have some problems that I need some suggestions with and also for other families dealing with various isses.

Mice
Ants
Chipmunks
Fleas
Bedbugs

I can vouch for a cheap and easy flea remedy that no bombing or spraying helped me with. It is Dawn dish detergent and water placed in a very low container underneath a light at night. (I suggest a desk lamp that bends so the light shines right on the water) The light attracts the fleas to the bowl and the hop in and die almost immediately. All other lights need to be off in the house so the fleas are attracted to this one light. It takes at least a week or two of doing this to clear out the problem, but it's much cheaper and the other expensive methods didn't work for me.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share cheap ideas.

I particularly need a good one for carpenter ants and mice!
I also work with families that are dealing with bedbugs. Can't wait to hear some ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Did you look at Harry's sticky thread at the top of this forum?

For mice, one good trap is a 5-gallon bucket with a lid set up halfway across, goes all the way to one rim but only about halfway to the other, pivoting on a wire like a coathanger wire set across the middle. Bait with peanut butter on the "short" side of the lid. Mouse will go to the peanut butter, fall in the water, and this flips the lid so it is set for the next one. Or just buy a "tin cat", or for that matter the "old school" mouse trap made of wood is cheap, not that hard to use.

Or, of course if your situation allows for it, adopt a real cat.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Thanks M3 Mitch! I did not see Harry's sticky thread as I haven't been on cd in quite some time!! I will check it out. However, if anyone has any suggestions they want to share here..please do so!!
BTW, I do have a cat and she seems to rather go outside to find her mice and leave them on my steps! I've been using the good ole fashion traps, but they seem to keep on coming!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:13 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyVT View Post

I particularly need a good one for carpenter ants and mice!
Carpenter ants... get rid of the food source, usually rotting trees.

Mice... peanut butter and a trap

Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
We use fabric softner sheets [Bounce] throughout our RV when not using. Seems to keep the mice out. AFA ants, I have been told to use cornstarch, although I haven't actually tried it.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
The old solution for bedbugs was to put the each leg of the bed in a tin of kerosine. Of course, this didn't get rid of the ones already in the bedding, but it stopped new ones from crawling up the legs.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Not natural, but a cheap one stop solutin is Raid fumigators. Just over fumigate. Kills everything.

Be sure to put some in the attic and basement (carefully, they can catch fire i think).

Fumigators, not foggers. Just follow the directions on the box, but use a few more than their minimum.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

NAtural soluton for mice, chipmunks, spiders, moths, unwanted humans.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Coldjensens...Haha....I have a cat, and she's a good mouser. The problem is she thinks she needs to hunt outside more than inside!! You should see the crime scenes I've had on my doorstep after a good kill. Occasionally, she's practiced her sport in the house....FUN! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House