Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,498 times

Advertisements

We are getting close to closing on our new home, and behind it is a church. I looked up the info online & it says it is an African Methodist Episcal Church. Should we expect some noisy Sunday mornings? I don't really sleep in, but I'm worried because I have 2 dogs who bark a lot. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Congrats on your new home. And, yes, you'll probably have some noisy Sundays -- but the time to have thought about that -- and to have parked near the church on a Sunday morning to check out the noise/traffic levels -- was before you bought. There's nothing you can do about it now except keep your dogs inside.

When I was a child, my parents bought a house next to a vacant lot. A few years later a church was built there. The resulting traffic and noise made me decide never to live near a church when I grew up. And, even though I attend church, I feel sorry for the residents of nearby streets.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
Depends on how large and active the church is, how close you are to it, the type of neighborhood, and do they have a large parking lot.

When I lived in the city in a house apartment on the corner, there was a small church on the opposite corner (with no parking lot). Parking was always tight, so Sundays weren't any different. I liked to watch wedding parties arrive. Downside: teens used to hang out on the corner on late at night on weekends, since no one lived there.

At my last house, there was a small church 2 doors up that had been converted to a day care. It was sold, and turned back into a very active church. A little more traffic on Sundays, but not much, since the congregation was probably only 200 or so people, and I think only 1 service on a Sunday. Pros: I liked hearing the choir in summertime when my windows were open.

Now, in my current house, the house behind me faces the back (parking lot) of a VERY large, VERY active church (several services throughout the weekend). The only thing that affected me was I didn't like seeing all the parking lot lights every evening, and the headlights from the church driveway traffic went right in my windows (they had a lot of evening activities/meetings). Luckily, another house was built next to the existing house, and blocks much of the light. Cons: Teens used the parking lot a LOT for skateboarding, and the noise annoyed me (they don't anymore). Pros: LOVE the church bells, every hour, with hymns played 4x/day, and Christmas carols in season. Plus, it has a beautiful steeple that's lit at night and really looks pretty.

I have dogs, and a privacy fence helps a LOT with things that they might bark at.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Congrats on your new home. And, yes, you'll probably have some noisy Sundays -- but the time to have thought about that -- and to have parked near the church on a Sunday morning to check out the noise/traffic levels -- was before you bought. ....
Good point. However, the noise level on the street might not compare well to the noise level in the home. If you sleep in on Sunday mornings, and your bedroom is not facing the Church, you might not have a problem with noise coming from inside the Church. Granted, if they decide to have an even in the parking lot or in an outdoor tent, the noise might be more problematic.

Have you talked with the prior owners or neighbors about the noise? This would probably be the best way to get an answer for your question.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Some churches have external bells carillon, or loudspeakers that either broadcast music being played inside or simply call the faithful to service. It can be loud, but only for a short time. Unless they have a giant pipe organ, you are not likely to hear much of the service from outside the church. You will hear people coming and going and chatting along the way. they will likely have some outdoor activities as it gets warmer.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Eeeek. I would never buy a house near a church or synagogue or mosque -- you will simply have to put up with whatever noise they make.

I am surprised you didn't drive by on Sundays to see how many people were there, how noisy it was, etc.? That's pretty standard due diligence when buying a house.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Just attend the service. You will not notice the noise outside at all.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM

504 posts, read 852,048 times
I live in a small condo complex that kind of wraps around the church on the corner. I don't notice any noise issues with them, and I'm fairly sensitive to that sort of thing. This varies from church to church I'm sure though - these guys don't seem to have much bell-tolling or loudspeaker action. The only thing I notice is on Sundays when they overflow the church parking lot and line both sides of the street with vehicles, making it crowded and hard to see when you are pulling out into the street.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,879 times
We lived about 50' from a Pentecostal Church for a few years, and were never bothered by noise, even when we were outside.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Just attend the service. You will not notice the noise outside at all.
+1

Join the church and have fun on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House