Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

i told you what i do , i design motor control centers and vfd and starter panels for fan and pump applications. been doing it my entire working career.

eddie you are wrong , no one cares what you do , you are just flat out wrong .. you need to re-learn the basics about fuse protection. the current is the same in a fault no matter which side of the line the fuse is on. you can doubt it all you want but it is as basic as can be. you need to complete the path through the neutral to get current to flow through the fuse and the only path is through that tv you speak of. the fuse will see the fault on either side.

anyway if you don't want the education i suggest you stop replying. other folks here may actually want to learn.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
I have a question. If the electricity flows from the hot wire, through the device, and out the neutral, if the hot wire comes loose inside the device, does the electricity spill out all over the inside and flood it with electricity?

Old 07-25-2014, 03:14 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
eddie you are wrong . you need to re-learn the basics about fuse protection.

anyway if you don't want the education i suggest you stop replying. other folks here may actually want to learn.
Nobody is talking about fuse protection but you. You can say i'm wrong until you are blue in the face but it doesn't change reality. The neutral is not fused end of story. Think i'm wrong all you want I get paid to work with electricity you get some kind of high to "talk" about it. It sounds like you have an inferiority complex against trade professionals.

Look at that circuit board and tell me where the fuse is.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Because electronic devices are fused internally on the hot leg not on the neutral. If you have them reversed there is no fuse protecting your electronics The circuit breaker at the panel might not trip if the fault current isn't large enough. However it might be large enough to damage electronics.
really eddie ? no one is talking about fuse protection but me? look at the above comment you made.

eddie stop and listen , no where did i say the neutral is fused in the usa. no where.

you told me i was wrong when i said regardless of where the fuse is it would react the same.

your comment above about having no fuse protection is what i called you out on as being b.s,. . here is what you said in black and white. you are wrong , that is all there is to it.

even if the fuse was on the neutral which we all agree it shouldn't be, the fuse will still react the same to the fault current and not make any difference as to whether the electronics fry or not.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-25-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
really eddie ? no one is talking about fuse protection but me? look at the above comment you made.

eddie stop and listen , no where did i say the neutral is fused in the usa. no where.

you told me i was wrong when i said regardless of where the fuse is it would react the same.

your comment above about having no fuse protection is what i called you out on as being b.s,. . here is what you said in black and white. you are wrong , that is all there is to it.

even if the fuse was on the neutral which we all agree it shouldn't be, the fuse will still react the same to the fault current and not make any difference as to whether the electronics fry or not.
You have twisted this whole topic from the OP. I stated the reason why polarity is important TO THE OP and you decided to chime in and say "that makes no sense" then you twisted the whole topic into all different directions about all different stuff.

The topic is about polarity. And I said why it's important so you can believe it or not who cares. I'm an electrician and get paid to do this, I don't just chime into threads like some people when they have no knowledge on the subject.

Out.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:

I have clue what you said there.

Maybe in an hour or so I will draw up a simpleton schematic so you can understand. You sound like a person that only understands by looking at pictures lol

I might be back later. I'm always up for owning people when I have some free time

Old 07-25-2014, 07:47 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Why do most outlets and plugs have polarity blades?

I have a general understanding of the alternating wave form but won't most 110v devices work just fine regardless of connection? It seems this polarity effort is recent and that older outlets skipped it.

What am I missing?
The black wire is hooked to the breaker in the panel and the white to a buss bar, and the bare on the ground bar, on the other end (outlet) the black wire goes to the brass screw, the white to the silver screw and the bare to the black screw.

In the old days they had fuse boxes and not breaker panels.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
You have twisted this whole topic from the OP. I stated the reason why polarity is important TO THE OP and you decided to chime in and say "that makes no sense" then you twisted the whole topic into all different directions about all different stuff.

The topic is about polarity. And I said why it's important so you can believe it or not who cares. I'm an electrician and get paid to do this, I don't just chime into threads like some people when they have no knowledge on the subject.

Out.
all i stated was the fuse would protect the circuit regardless of which leg it was on , it would just create a dangerous situation if it was on the neutral.

you tried to say i was wriong with that crazy example of the tv and your example was wrong.

thats all that transpired. twist it turn it any way you like but you made a mistake in thinking there would be no fuse protection .

the end.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
all i stated was the fuse would protect the circuit regardless of which leg it was on , it would just create a dangerous situation if it was on the neutral.

you tried to say i was wriong with that crazy example of the tv and your example was wrong.

thats all that transpired. twist it turn it any way you like but you made a mistake in thinking there would be no fuse protection .

the end.
That statement right there proves to me you have no knowledge how a 120v circuit works. So you are saying that if the fuse internally in a TV (why a tv is a crazy example of an electronic device to you is beyond me) was on the neutral side that the circuitry and electronics will still be protected??!?! WTF

Current enters the tv on the hot side and leaves on the neutral but it goes through a circuit board before the current leaves on the neutral. So if there is no fuse on the hot side what stops overcurrent or other faults from destroying the inner workings of a TV that enter through the hot wire??? If the polarity was reversed on the power cord of that TV then the neutral wire brings current into the TV WHERE IT IS UNFUSED!!! then leaves out the hot wire WHICH IS FUSED. Yes that fuse will blow AFTER it blows up the circuit board and other electronics. THIS IS WHY POLARITY IS IMPORTANT along with other reasons. I am just giving an example of electronic devices like TVs because the OP was asking about polarity on cords...TVS HAVE POWER CORDSSSSSSSSSS

This is getting REAL old I'm done. It's so simple I think my 8 year old nephew can understand this but you can't yet you are trying to convince me an electrician that I'm wrong.

I'll post a picture graphic later for you to understand (well not likely) but others will. For now I'm heading out for ice cream. Don't want to waste a friday night reading your nonsene...

Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
That statement right there proves to me you have no knowledge how a 120v circuit works. So you are saying that if the fuse internally in a TV (why a tv is a crazy example of an electronic device to you is beyond me) was on the neutral side that the circuitry and electronics will still be protected??!?! WTF

Current enters the tv on the hot side and leaves on the neutral but it goes through a circuit board before the current leaves on the neutral. So if there is no fuse on the hot side what stops overcurrent or other faults from destroying the inner workings of a TV that enter through the hot wire??? If the polarity was reversed on the power cord of that TV then the neutral wire brings current into the TV WHERE IT IS UNFUSED!!! then leaves out the hot wire WHICH IS FUSED. Yes that fuse will blow AFTER it blows up the circuit board and other electronics. THIS IS WHY POLARITY IS IMPORTANT along with other reasons. I am just giving an example of electronic devices like TVs because the OP was asking about polarity on cords...TVS HAVE POWER CORDSSSSSSSSSS

This is getting REAL old I'm done. It's so simple I think my 8 year old nephew can understand this but you can't yet you are trying to convince me an electrician that I'm wrong.

I'll post a picture graphic later for you to understand (well not likely) but others will. For now I'm heading out for ice cream. Don't want to waste a friday night reading your nonsene...
YOu are in way over your head. You are using some mental pictures of the electrical process that simply are not true.

From the point of view of an electronics guy he has two wires coming in. Between them is a cyclic voltage of somewhere between 90 and 250 volts and of uncertain phase relationship. So he does something or the other to regularize and limit the voltage and current to those with which he chooses to deal.

The grounding of phases is a local national custom that we mostly try to engineer around. We design to deal with what appears not what we want to appear.

The Electrical codes deal with a different problem...basically to avoid electrocuting either civilians or those who repair such systems. Secondarily the rules are designed to prevent fires.

The circuit board you show appears to be a fuse with an indicator. It will work perfectly well with a correct or inverted input...ie it works perfectly well if the input white is hot and the black neutral.

I think you need to go back and reconsider your opinion. You may very well be good at hooking up equipment and circuits but you really don't understand how this stuff works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House