Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Pick a color thats not the same color as the vomit. Otherwise it can sit there far longer.

My carpet for example seems to be the same color. This is why I am pulling it all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:13 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
If you can teach a cat to crap in a pan, why can't you teach them to vomit there also?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
For the love of God! This thread is the best arguement I can ever recall against keeping cats.... though there are plenty of others as well.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM

37 posts, read 83,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
For the love of God! This thread is the best arguement I can ever recall against keeping cats.... though there are plenty of others as well.
ah, but 'zem so cute and cuddles!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:54 PM

37 posts, read 83,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Pick a color thats not the same color as the vomit. Otherwise it can sit there far longer.

My carpet for example seems to be the same color. This is why I am pulling it all out.
I would think the same color as cat vomit would actually be advantageous. I don't get it.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 PM

38 posts, read 133,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sori_liss View Post
I'm trying to decide how to re-do the flooring on my first floor.

What has been your experience with hardwood floors and pets?

I have a cat and sometimes he vomits (0-4 times/month). It can be quite liquid. If I'm at work or asleep, it can sit there for 8+ hours.

getting rid of Fluffy isn't an option.
Do yourself a favor and ignore the flooring snobs here.

There is a product that will meet your needs and looks fantastic. It's a type of sheet vinyl called Earthscapes or Flexitec (depending on who you buy it from). This product has a multilayer construction which includes a couple of dense foam layers that give it a small amount of "give" and keep the floor from being cold in the winter.

I have this in my house and it's by far the best flooring I've ever owned. The small amount of cushioning makes this floor more comfortable to walk on compared to hardwood or tile. This feature also keeps the floor from being cold in the winter, and is the reason it's completely silent to walk on. No clickety clack from shoes or dog toenails. It also has a nicely textured surface which makes the floor look very realistic, but also makes it a non-slip surface (especially relevant for kitchen & bathrooms). The dogs really appreciate the non-slip texture of the floor as well.

Because this is a sheet product, it's 100% waterproof (there are no cracks to collect urine and other liquids). The urethane wear layers make it stain proof, and also make this flooring tough as hell. We've abused this flooring so badly with heavy dog and foot traffic (including tracking in lots of sand thanks to Oklahoma red mud that sticks to your soles and tends to get tracked everywhere), not to mention tons of spills and unfortunately a lot of dog accidents as well. Any other flooring, including ceramic tile, would have been ruined over the last 5 years. But ours still looks as good as the day it was bought.

Another nice thing about this type of flooring is if its gets cut or turn (not easy to do but it can happen), it's very easy to do a spot repair. They just cut out a square and glue a new one in its place. You'll always have plenty of spare material left over from when you got the floor installed; just store it in your attic and if you ever have to do a patch repair, you already have matching vinyl on hand.

Everyone who sees our floor thinks its real hardwood. That's because it not only looks real but has a solid feel like a glue-down hardwood installation; it doesn't look or feel like laminate. I can't believe Earthscape\Flexitec isn't more popular; it's the best flooring product out there. I blame flooring snobs who diss anything that isn't real hardwood or ceramic tile and value bragging rights over practicality. These people apparently live in museum-like homes where shoes aren't worn, no one has pets (or children), and accidents never happen. Follow their advice and you'll end up paying more for a floor that gets destroyed in a few years despite your best efforts to maintain it.

Go with Earthscape\Flexitec and you won't have to stress about your floor any more - instead just enjoy it.

Here's some pics from our house:

More pics here: https://plus.google.com/photos/10798...IKJuf7KlcrzpgE

Old 08-05-2014, 03:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
Do yourself a favor and ignore the flooring snobs here.
Funny comment, considering yours is the only post that contains elements of flooring snobbery.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
ah, but 'zem so cute and cuddles!
It's well known that outdoor cats put songbird populations at risk. Also that they are a vector for various serious diseases. And their wastes are kept in a corner someplace and reek to everyone but the cat owner. But now I learn that they are serial and unrepentant vomiters as well. All that cuddlesomeness must be very compelling indeed.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
I would think the same color as cat vomit would actually be advantageous. I don't get it.
When its the same color you dont notice it, and it can sit and soak things. That can be bad compared to "oh look vomit-clean clean clean"

Plus...if it matches the color you often find it with your feet. Not optimal, cold or warm....that just sucks.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much! Sounds like vomiting cats + hardwoods is possible!
Yes -- strip hardwood... I don't think the engineered wood hardwood would work. The kind with the mdf click and lock backing. Water and MDF don't mix.

On the cat note -- have you tried switching foods? Or check with your vet -- vomiting shouldn't be all that common. We have one who has bad tummy issues -- IBS. And when he vomits it's like something out of a bad horror movie -- very watery, copious amounts and projectile! He's on daily prednisone and 1/2 a Pepcid AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House