Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently moved into a bldg built in the 1920's. The apartment itself has been recently renovated, kitchen, floors, bathroom, etc. I noticed the water in the bathroom sink wasn't draining as quickly as it should normally then I noticed the water leaking from underneath. While I told my landlord and he did send in a plumber pretty quickly, I believe something was done to stop the leak while the sink water still takes about 20 minutes to drain when running for only 10-15 seconds.

While the bathroom has been renovated, the landlord says the bldg is old and he can't do anything about this slow drainage problem. I have yet to ask my neighbors about it. But am I to live without using my bathroom sink until my lease is up in two years?

I've read about baking soda, vinegar and boiling water which I will try this weekend. But I can't believe he can't do anything about it and it fine with letting me live like this. I believe the renovation might not have been done properly and my landlord is just not willing to get into it. There is no hair and should not be any gunk in the pipes as of yet, unless its from construction.

Any suggestions/ideas - I'd greatly appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyce12 View Post
While the bathroom has been renovated, the landlord says the bldg is old
and he can't do anything about this slow drainage problem.
told my landlord and he did send in a plumber pretty quickly...
1) I don't think your LL sent an actual plumber; probably his handyman guy.

2) The problem and any real solution is in the pipes in the walls
The drain pipe fittings in older buildings don't have the curves that new codes require.

3) Learn the term "closet auger" (meant for toilets). The handyman SHOULD have one.
Once the drain/trap below the sink is removed the business end of the auger is inserted
into the pipe at the wall and then spun and extended. If the blockage is nearby it'll work.

If it doesn't work... the landlord has a BIG job ahead of him.
Don't count on him volunteering to take it on.
Whether he can be forced to fix it right... can get complicated.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,913 times
Do you have the same problem with the bathtub/shower drain? The kitchen sink drain? Or is it just this particular sink?

When the plumber came to fix the leak, did you tell him/her that the drain was very slow?

I would check with your neighbors to see if they have the same problem.

Boiling water etc. is got going to do much good if there is a blockage in the plumbing under the sink.

If the slow drain was not mentioned when the plumber was there - he/she might just fix what was on the list to be fixed (i.e. a leak). If I owned the place, I would probably loosen the two nuts holding the U shaped piece of the drain underneath the sink to see if it is blocked - as that is where a blockage usually occurs. Since you only rent you might not be comfortable doing this.

If the neighbors do not have issues and the rest of your drains work OK - I would ask the landlord to have his plumber stop in to verify that the issue is not with the U trap piece under the sink being clogged.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
$4...ACE Hardware or Walmart...."Zip it"

Old 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
doesn't sound like much of a plumber if one did went to your house and left without fixing the slow drain issue, or at least confirm it's a bigger job than what he can do without tearing out a bunch of stuff.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:16 PM

753 posts, read 1,105,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
+1. I posted about this a few days ago in another thread. If the clog is in the trap, just pulling it out with the zip-it gizmo is going to be a lot faster and more effective than trying to dissolve it. If the clog is farther down than the trap, then you're out $4 and you need to get a plumber in with a drain auger.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Know your legal rights!

Have a read-
LSNJLAW - Repairs/Habitability

Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 PM

450 posts, read 799,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The Zip-It works like a champ for the hair clogs in the bathtub drain for which it was designed.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
The Zip-It works like a champ for the hair clogs in
the bathtub drain for which it was designed.
I actually just have used a hangar that I made into a hook on the end!!
You could try that before going to the store?
I don't bath my dogs in the tub anymore so we'll see when I
need to open the Zipit pkg up!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:29 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
Not sure if it will cure the problem but another fan of the zip it. It's amazing- I use it frequently in drains where I can swear there should not be any hair or clogs, and it brings up gunk regularly. I am not sure where I bought it might be home depot but it really is worth buying and having around. Even though it seems to be cheap plastic, mine is most likely over 5 years old and going strong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House