Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
This I disagree. It frees up space to put more furniture and decorations
Not in my case. Id have the same furniture whether i had a tv or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:26 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
We have a large entertainment center for our TV and all the extra electronic gear. I would never put a large screen tv over the fireplace.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times
We had this for about a year before I asked my husband to take it down. It was hurting my neck to look up and made watching tv uncomfortable.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
I think I read somewhere that the tv should be placed at eye level to where you sit to watch it. I don't think 6 feet up the wall meets that criteria.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,945 times
I personally think it looks bad about 80% of the time. It's my # 2 peeve right after # 1 - ceiling fans (in any room with ceilings under 16 feet). It also makes no sense, as electronics are sensitive to heat, smoke and dust particles. Why put it right above such an environment.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
the eyes shouldn't be in the "looking up" position for long periods of time, it isn't natural, nor comfortable, that's why TV's were made to be eye level and below for decades, before this terrible trend came into play.

like laying on the couch on your side, you cant look up for a long period of time, not comfortable....

Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
We have a relatively large family room. (Kitchen opens on to family room).

Using the kitchen as the reference point (6 on the clock face) - Window wall is 9, Fireplace is midnight, wall shared with garage is 3).

So there are only 3 walls - one is full of windows, one has the fireplace, one is bare.

The room is also longer than wide (though marginally)

We considered putting the TV on the bare (3'oclock) wall ... but then if you were standing in the kitchen/cooking/talking - you'd have to orient yourself oddly to see the TV.

So - above the fireplace was quickly decided on. Yes, its wood burning, yes we only use it 2 or 3 times a year.

We have Chests on either side of the fireplace, with art above. We have wall sconces on either side of the fireplace (TV is centered between).

Personally I don't think the TV is anymore of a blackhole than the fireplace itself is, and think it looks balanced.

We didn't want to have competing focal points (the fireplace is clearly set up to be the focus point), and we watch TV every day, so the idea of tucking it away in an awkward corner would be a pain. After all - the furniture is all oriented toward the fireplace, so it would be annoying to have the TV someplace else and have to move chairs/loveseat to watch.

We do have a split living room / family room. (LR in front of the house, FR in back of the house off kitchen) - so the living room does not have a tv and is more formally decorated. The family room is where we hang out, therefore TV is a fundamental activity (even if its just having the news on when I'm cooking after work), and a part of the comfy/informal vibe.

Anyway - no neck aches. But again - our room is large and the sofa is likely 12', maybe 15' from the TV. (TV is a 55").

As far as people buying my house in the future not liking the TV above the fireplace... I'm not leaving the TV for them anyway!! They can put there's wherever they want, or they can watch netflix on their laptop ...

Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 AM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Before flat screens came out, we all had a place for our televisions, no one ever had a problem. But now fireplaces for some reason are the rage in newer homes, and they are really where the TV would go....so now that we have flat screens and no console furniture TV's, someone came up with the idea of the TV over the FP.
I wonder if the problem is the focus on windows and the removal of walls. Now the fireplace is centered on the only wall, because the room is open on 2 sides and has windows across the other wall.

I like TV way more than a fireplace. I generally put it where it is most comfortable to view it, which is not 5 ft off the ground.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I wonder if the problem is the focus on windows and the removal of walls. Now the fireplace is centered on the only wall, because the room is open on 2 sides and has windows across the other wall.

I like TV way more than a fireplace. I generally put it where it is most comfortable to view it, which is not 5 ft off the ground.
One of our friends bought a beautiful new home that has huge windows in the living room looking upon the back yard, but the builder purposely left one large wall for the fireplace (centered) and two huge built-ins on both sides of the fireplace. One side of the built-in was specifically designed for a large flat panel TV (up to 70+ inches) and had glass cabinets below for an AV receiver and was pre-wired for surround sound. The fireplace itself is beautiful on its own.

As long as the builder considers this ahead of time, you can have large windows, an open floor plan, and a TV in a logical space thats NOT above the fireplace.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Maybe in a large room, tv above the fireplace makes sense. A large enough room where the sofa can be far enough back from the tv so as not to cause a neck strain when viewing. But in my small family room, I opted for the tv to be in an entertainment center when I had my gas fireplace insert installed. My nephews who helped with drywall & texturing the walls, suggested I put the tv above the fireplace. My room was just too small to comfortably watch tv from the sofa & loveseat.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions of big screen tv above a fireplace-family-room-8-10-12.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House