Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times

Advertisements

Way too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:34 PM

215 posts, read 260,123 times
Our 54 inch TV is installed above our fireplace now. But we have very high ceilings and a viewing distance of about 12 feet. In our older home where the viewing distance was about 7 feet it would have been uncomfortable.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Don't do it. I like the look, but the functionality is unfortunately ruined.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:40 PM

468 posts, read 524,090 times
If you have to mount a TV over a fireplace, there are mounts that allow you to pull the TV out and down for comfort.

The premier over-the-fireplace flat screen TV mount | MantelmountMantelMount | The Best Off-The-Wall TV Mount. For The Perfect View Everytime!

I have never used or seen one.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM

336 posts, read 592,053 times
I am building a new house. The design of the family room is to have a TV over the fireplace so that it is watchable from the kitchen & eat-in areas. I don't like TV over the fireplace as I hate sitting in front rows at the movies. However, I understand why there should be a TV there. So, I worked with the builder to redesign low voltage wiring for the house. I will have two TVs in the family room, one on the center of the wall of the left side in the attached pic (where there are a bulk of wires) and one over the fireplace. I plan to use a HDMI splitter so that both will display the same picture source at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions of big screen tv above a fireplace-wp_20141122_010.jpg  

Old 01-14-2015, 04:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Sometimes there is NO where else to put a TV! Mine is above a decretive fireplace because there is no where else to put it! I have a ton of windows and about no wall space with my open floor plan. If someone doesn't like it, what do they want me to do, put the fireplace over a window? Maybe hang it from the ceiling in the middle of the room? Oh and I am a professional when it comes to homes. Real estate for over 20 years and flipped a bunch of homes. If you have no where else to put a fireplace, you kind of have to make do. I personally never felt like the fireplace was too high at all. Why not just relax and recline. I think a low TV is horrible if you are reclined like my family is. Higher is better.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post

As far as people buying my house in the future not liking the TV above the fireplace... I'm not leaving the TV for them anyway!! They can put there's wherever they want, or they can watch netflix on their laptop ...
My gripe isn't with people who choose to have the TV over the fireplace (not what I would choose but what others choose to do doesn't bother me) but with builders who leave no other option. When I look at homes, if I have no option than over the fireplace, it's a big negative.

Quote:
Sometimes there is NO where else to put a TV! Mine is above a decretive fireplace because there is no where else to put it! I have a ton of windows and about no wall space with my open floor plan.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sometimes there is NO where else to put a TV! Mine is above a decretive fireplace because there is no where else to put it! I have a ton of windows and about no wall space with my open floor plan. If someone doesn't like it, what do they want me to do, put the fireplace over a window? Maybe hang it from the ceiling in the middle of the room? Oh and I am a professional when it comes to homes. Real estate for over 20 years and flipped a bunch of homes. If you have no where else to put a fireplace, you kind of have to make do. I personally never felt like the fireplace was too high at all. Why not just relax and recline. I think a low TV is horrible if you are reclined like my family is. Higher is better.
Not according to most reputable professionals.

Before you get started - A Guide to Wall-mounting Your Flat-panel TV

Quote:
Ideally, the middle of your TV screen needs to be at about eye level while you're seated. You'll want to be comfortable while watching TV, and mounting it too high can result in neck strain. Plus, you'll probably see the best-looking picture when you view your TV head-on, rather than at an angle. If you opt for a higher placement, consider using a tilting wall mount to angle the TV down.
Sony recommends this, our A/V cabinet manufacturer recommends it, it's also preferred by most on the A/V forums. I've had it over the fireplace and it sucked. It was harder to keep clean, harder to view- it was just awful in our opinion. I think it's simply another 'design fad', no real root in common sense or logic.

Our flat screen is designed to complement my Klipsch surrounds and Yamaha A/V receiver- at eye level with the seating 10-15 ft from the viewing screen, and it's just about dang perfect. Quite enjoyable, especially when lounging on the family room sofa.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My gripe isn't with people who choose to have the TV over the fireplace (not what I would choose but what others choose to do doesn't bother me) but with builders who leave no other option. When I look at homes, if I have no option than over the fireplace, it's a big negative.
100% agree. I would not want a house that couldn't accommodate my A/V requirements.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
I get that it's the only option often, but not a fan. Something should give before making this decision, maybe the old Tom Clancy books and bookcase.

It's like a car with huge rims, not functional and looks bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House