Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 AM

920 posts, read 634,226 times

Advertisements

They are horrible for the mere fact that so many gorgeous mid-century homes were bulldozed in sacrifice of these monstrosities!! I weep at the loss of architectural masterpieces that were sacrificed at the foot of yuppie one-uppance.

No offense to anyone residing in these homes, just venting my spleen over the loss of some amazing "and affordable" homes. All that destruction has led to the remaining "jewels" to become scarce and desirable, resulting in over pricing and out pricing people from that market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
Big and tacky isn't my personal ball of wax, but if somebody else values living space over high quality materials (presuming safe building codes are still honored), what's the big deal? If you don't like it, don't live there. I'm sure most of the folks who do live in McMansions would also prefer the full Downton Abbey, but not everybody can afford to purchase and maintain a palatial estate.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Big and tacky isn't my personal ball of wax, but if somebody else values living space over high quality materials (presuming safe building codes are still honored), what's the big deal? If you don't like it, don't live there. I'm sure most of the folks who do live in McMansions would also prefer the full Downton Abbey, but not everybody can afford to purchase and maintain a palatial estate.
Unless you have a fully custom house built, most homes under a certain dollar amount are going to be built with the same materials and the same type of specs as "McMansions".

So, if the gripe is over materials, it won't just apply to new homes in the 3000 to 5000 sq ft range, it will apply to all of the "mass produced" homes currently being built.

You might want to personally forgo the 4000 sq ft home for a fully custom 2000 sq ft home, but that would be your preference for your situation. Other people might prefer the 4000 sq ft home knowing they'll only be there for 20 to 40 years and don't plan to pass it down to the next generation, in which case why buy a house that will be standing for 150 years, when it will be another person's in 30?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
With new building codes and building inspections, I don't know how a poorly built a house can be erected and pass inspections. There can be large variations as far as level of finish, but as far as not being well built I just don't buy it.
Here is one difference, some McMansions are built just to code which is the minimum standard.

Real Mansions are built to superceed the code in quality of materials and construction, size and number of rooms.

The very wealthy can afford Mansions. McMansions are for those who like to pretend they are wealthy or just don't care about quality.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Here is one difference, some McMansions are built just to code which is the minimum standard.

Real Mansions are built to superceed the code in quality of materials and construction, size and number of rooms.

The very wealthy can afford Mansions. McMansions are for those who like to pretend they are wealthy or just don't care about quality.
I agree with this to an extent, but as you say, not all McMansions suffer from a lack of quality or subpar materials, only some of them do.

Our house was built with 2x6 boards throughout, code is 2x4 of course. So that means thicker walls, more insulation, better heating/cooling, etc.

Really what it boils down to for me is that a "real" mansion is practically guaranteed to have a custom floor plan, with no other home in the area being quite like it. A McMansion built by a volume builder though, you know that your house exists somewhere else, whether in your neighborhood, or one of their other housing developments.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:48 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
McMansions are for those who like to pretend they are wealthy or just don't care about quality.
Pretending they are wealthy? What percentage would that be? Are 90% of people who buy new non-custom homes in the 3000 to 5000 sq ft range in some "Look at us we're rich" secret society? Is it 70%? What percentage is it?

Could it possibly be that some people want a certain amount of space and don't have the budget to build a full on custom home?

How many of these homes are having to be torn down in 30 or 40 years due to the materials not being good enough?

I'm just not understanding where some of you people are getting such crazy ideas.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Pretending they are wealthy? What percentage would that be? Are 90% of people who buy new non-custom homes in the 3000 to 5000 sq ft range in some "Look at us we're rich" secret society? Is it 70%? What percentage is it?

Could it possibly be that some people want a certain amount of space and don't have the budget to build a full on custom home?

How many of these homes are having to be torn down in 30 or 40 years due to the materials not being good enough?

I'm just not understanding where some of you people are getting such crazy ideas.
Because many are envious. My former in-laws were begrudgers. Remarks like:

Yes they have nice things.....but he works all the time and is never home.

Yes the house is big but.....I do not think it is built well.

Yes the house is big....but so much unused space.

Yes those big windows have a lovely view of the lake....but they must waste a lot of heat.

Yes the neighborhood is lovely....but it has no character.

Need I go on?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Though I do not profess to know what other peoples definition of a McMansion is, I will give you my view. It is an effort to try and pretend you are wealthier than you really are. A keeping up with the Joneses if you will.

Most real mansions cost tens of millions of dollars, in part because of the size of the structure, but also because of the size of the land. So if you wish to look wealthy enough to afford a 20 million dollar mansion, but can't, you go ahead and buy/build a facsimile of one in an area you can afford. That typically means it will be much smaller in both sq feet under air, and acreage.
I see good livable solid construction homes torn down in communities with growing affluence, only to have a monstrosity built in it's place with not much more functionality. In some cases not much more space inside either. These people are not poor by any means, just wanting to appear to be living the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

Bottom line is that some people need to stroke their own egos, and this is a modern way of doing so.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:07 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Not all big, non-custom homes are McMansions. But all McMansions are big, and sometimes they are even custom.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:14 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I bought my McMansion because I didn't want to lose any functionality of my home after having a child. In my old house, I lost my game room (it became the play room.) I lost my home gym (it became her bedroom) and my garage was too narrow to get my daughter in and out of her car seat easily.

Now, I have my game room and gym back, and my daughter has her own room and a playroom, and now we have a split 3 car garage with more room. Ego had nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House