Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 39,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Go ahead and contact Lennox with the model and date of install. Their customer service will probably have an email that you can send the pix to. Try to get them to make a determination or hook you up with another contractor etc...try to send pix with some detailed shot with as much rust as possible.
Please let us know how it goes!
Thank you. I will contact Lennox! I have some good rusty photos to send them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 PM

621 posts, read 1,125,180 times
Your level of corrosion is completely normal. Coils after 15 or so years are a mess and they don't suddenly get that way over night...incrementally worse year after year. As for replacement, a normal wear and tear condition won't be a valid reason for the factory. The contractor will want to be paid for any swap out, $400-800 that you'll be on the hook for.

Also, don't push for a lot of brushing. Spray on a suitable coil cleaner and rinse if required and leave it at that.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Your level of corrosion is completely normal. Coils after 15 or so years are a mess and they don't suddenly get that way over night...incrementally worse year after year. As for replacement, a normal wear and tear condition won't be a valid reason for the factory. The contractor will want to be paid for any swap out, $400-800 that you'll be on the hook for.

Also, don't push for a lot of brushing. Spray on a suitable coil cleaner and rinse if required and leave it at that.
Then I guess the corrosion on mine is abnormal... I just took the photo. Installation was around Sept 2007. I have NEVER used coil cleaner on the coils - compressed air, 2" paintbrush and vacuum, some Physan 20 spritzed on where some mold was attempting to grow. (Looks like I need to repeat that soon) The red arrows point out the corroded sheet metal screws. Note that the frame is nearly pristine.

Right now I'm comparing photos and costs. Goodman - MINOR corrosion & low cost Lennox High cost for the name and significant corrosion. Which to consider in the future... hmmm...

FWIW, coil cleaner is something you ONLY want to use when there is significant buildup, as it can damage the aluminum fins.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 06-16-2021 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 AM

7 posts, read 39,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Go ahead and contact Lennox with the model and date of install. Their customer service will probably have an email that you can send the pix to. Try to get them to make a determination or hook you up with another contractor etc...try to send pix with some detailed shot with as much rust as possible.
Please let us know how it goes!
Lennox doesn't have an email address (kind of annoying, but whatever). I called customer service and was directed to call their corporate office (office of consumer affairs). They basically said that it's up to the company to request a warranty job. So I can either go with the company that said it was super rusty and have them claim the warranty with Lennox, or trust the other company that said it was no biggie. The installer company is a preferred dealer of Lennox and the other company is not, so I guess I will trust my installer company. But I will keep a close eye on how the rust progresses and maintain a photo log and decide closer to the end of my 5 year warranty. I wish it was more cut and dry. Perhaps my next move will be to become a licensed HVAC technician so I can make that determination on my own.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM

621 posts, read 1,125,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Right now I'm comparing photos and costs. Goodman - MINOR corrosion & low cost Lennox High cost for the name and significant corrosion. Which to consider in the future... hmmm...

FWIW, coil cleaner is something you ONLY want to use when there is significant buildup, as it can damage the aluminum fins.
Lennox doesn't put out a better product than Goodman, ask any qualified technician.

Coil cleaning sprays, at least those I use, include corrosion inhibitors so...

Also FWIW, 1'' 3M filters such as in your image are horrible for air flow(efficiency). 1'' filters are only good for protecting the equipment which a 30 day filter is sufficient. Air quality improvement filters (pleated) need to be of the 2'' variety as a minimum and 4'' is ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House