Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 39,809 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We got our Lennox Heat Pump installed in July 2013 by one company, we have another company do our maintenance (we bought a pre-pay plan). The other company (let's call them company B) did our annual maintenance and was shocked at the amount of rust build up on the interior of our less-than-two-year-old unit. We called the company that did the installation (let's call them company A). They waived their diagnostic fee and came out today to take a look. (Side note: we have a 5 year warranty on parts.) Company A said that the build up was normal and that all it needs is a good cleaning (which is what company B should have done). So he cleaned it, and about 50% of the rust was gone. However, it's a classic "He said, He said" in terms of should I be freaking out and working with Lennox to replace it while it is under warranty. The last thing I want is to have it fail after our 5 year warranty has expired.

Do you think this rust is excessive? If yes, how do I get Lennox to fix it (considering the installer company just said all's good).

Thank you so much for your help with this! We are in Renton, Washington (if that makes a difference)

I have attached photos of the coils after they were cleaned by company A (the installer company).

Heat Pump info:
Lennox Elite Series XP13 Units
CR33 Series Downflow Coils
Attached Thumbnails
Excessive Rust around my Heat Pump Evaporator Coils?-postclean1.jpg   Excessive Rust around my Heat Pump Evaporator Coils?-postclean2.jpg   Excessive Rust around my Heat Pump Evaporator Coils?-postclean3.jpg  

Last edited by jwhippy; 04-28-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
I don't see much rust ..do you mean where the copper lines are entering the coil? The word excessive does not come to my mind.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Some rust is very common in your area, but you don't have anything to worry about if they clean it correctly.

Look at the site below so that you can see what rust really looks like !!

How to Clean AC Evaporator Coils - Foaming Coil Cleaner

Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
That is usual what happens to coil that causes them to leak and have to be replaced. The outside is hard on anything metal and reason to clean coils often and especially keep oxidation of coiling fins. If you clean with water hose more often then the chemical clean often if at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:26 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It is more than I would consider normal on that third photo. Typically, the sheet metal screws and shields/baffles rust before the frame. Our eight year old Goodman has only 1/10th that amount of rust on that frame, although there are a half dozen screws that are corroded. We are in a climate that sees a lot of AC use.

I am confused though that there doesn't appear to be any protective coating on the sheet steel in pic 3. With a Lennox, I'm surprised they didn't sport for a dollar's worth of zinc coating to limit the corrosion, even if it is mostly a cosmetic issue.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
I don't see much rust ..do you mean where the copper lines are entering the coil? The word excessive does not come to my mind.
Yes, where the copper lines are entering the coil So you don't think it's excessive. That's good to hear

Old 04-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Some rust is very common in your area, but you don't have anything to worry about if they clean it correctly.

Look at the site below so that you can see what rust really looks like !!

[url=http://www.handymanhowto.com/how-to-clean-air-conditioner-evaporator-coils-part-2/]How to Clean AC Evaporator Coils - Foaming Coil Cleaner[/url]
That's a lot of rust in the pictures in the link... I guess rust happens when you have copper and steel in an enclosed space that gets condensation. I still find it concerning to have ANY rust, but this is my first heat pump....I will be sure to keep on with our annual cleaning and maintenance (but may have to look over their shoulder to make sure they actually get a brush out and clean, clean, clean that rust off).

Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It is more than I would consider normal on that third photo. Typically, the sheet metal screws and shields/baffles rust before the frame. Our eight year old Goodman has only 1/10th that amount of rust on that frame, although there are a half dozen screws that are corroded. We are in a climate that sees a lot of AC use.

I am confused though that there doesn't appear to be any protective coating on the sheet steel in pic 3. With a Lennox, I'm surprised they didn't sport for a dollar's worth of zinc coating to limit the corrosion, even if it is mostly a cosmetic issue.
That's what I thought (more than what should be normal) but I have never seen the inside of a heat pump before. We don't have a lot of AC use here, mostly heat. I am not surprised that they didn't do anything extra (like put a zinc coating on it in the first place), we got this Lennox through a Costco partnership deal. Do you think it's worth trying to get Lennox to replace it? Especially since the company who installed it says that all is normal? Or should I wait a year or two and see how the rust spreads (we have a 5 year warranty). I would love your thoughts.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is usual what happens to coil that causes them to leak and have to be replaced. The outside is hard on anything metal and reason to clean coils often and especially keep oxidation of coiling fins. If you clean with water hose more often then the chemical clean often if at all.
Thanks! I think regular cleaning and maintenance is a must with this unit. I don't want it to die right before my warranty runs out.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:10 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
Go ahead and contact Lennox with the model and date of install. Their customer service will probably have an email that you can send the pix to. Try to get them to make a determination or hook you up with another contractor etc...try to send pix with some detailed shot with as much rust as possible.
Please let us know how it goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House