Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times

Advertisements

One of the houses I'm looking at has zero outdoor storage (no garage, no carport, no shed, etc), and this is absolutely an issue for me. The upside is that it already has a concrete slab in place that I'm guesstimating to be roughly 5ft x 7ft..didn't have a tape measure in the truck to verify.

If I bought this place, my plan was to go to a big box store like Home Depot or Lowes to buy a shed kit to get something set up ASAP....while I have the ability to build something from scratch, I'd rather just spend the money and get something up quicker. I also plan to build a large shop space on the property, somewhere around 30ftx40ft, but that obviously will take considerably longer, and I don't want my tools, motorcycle, etc just sitting outside in the mean time.

I had considered one of those large, vehicle sized tent setups as well, but I figure I could use the shed for other things in the future as well, and will weather a whole heck of a lot better than the tents.

Is this a decent route to go, or are there better options for either a kit or premade shed setup? I've never bought of the things, so I don't really know what's involved in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Craigslist first

Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Craigslist is a good idea, if you have several strong guys and can rent a flatbed trailer to haul it. The cheapest are the steel sheds, but it takes several days to put together with 1,000s of screws. Mine is 10'x10' and took two full days. For that small size 5x7, I would try also Ebay, but look for one with free shipping ad be careful, some of them are just plans or frames.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I was going to recommend Royal (not the ones at Lowes or HD), but it seems they've stopped making them.

It's a shame because I had a "half shed" for 15 years. At about year 12 I was getting the house painted and had to move it. I unhooked it from the base and lifted it onto 2x10's and slid it to the back corner of the yard. I had to lift one side over a set of steps at the deck. A year later I moved it back, but this time I used round fence posts and rolled it.

When I got back to the vase it fit perfectly. That is one tough shed and I hope the people that bought the house appreciate it.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:12 AM

15 posts, read 28,568 times
I am pretty sure the well like it and it looks good already.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
I purchased one of those Costco shed. Similar to this

http://www.costco.com/.product.10002...oryTopProducts

I've had it for about 7 years now.. Holding up well. I spent the extra time and $ to put it about 10" off ground. Materials seems to hold up well in the NE weather.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
We ended up going with Lowe's but after 2 years of research. I got sick of looking at sheds! We went to several companies to see what they had. Workmanship was a factor. Some used poor materials. One local company was outstanding but they couldn't build anything for us for a year. We ordered a shed at Lowe's. a 12 x 10. They built a loft storage area and we could have had a work bench as well (included in the price) but I didnt want that cutting into the space. They came out and built it in a day, from sun up to sun down. It's a nice shed and we haven't had any issues. It's also pretty cute and added charm to the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House