Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

You must have a good life if that is all that is bothering you.
Seriously....You work from home...with all the joys and noises of a regular neighborhood. Get some ear plugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 02:57 PM

19,770 posts, read 22,673,762 times
You're irritated someone takes pride in mowing their lawn? Jesus, what next? Building a picnic table causes too much 'banging' with a hammer?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:18 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
It's funny, because I detest the landscapers and don't mind the do-it-yourselfers. Why? Because we don't have commercial-grade equipment that can be heard 5 houses down. I work from home every day so with 90% of the houses here having landscapers, it is an absolute annoyance with all the droning nearly every... single... day. And no, it's not just 20 minutes per house. It's under an hour per house if I'm lucky. Doing it yourself is an hour with the size of our lots, but you don't hear the entire neighborhood doing it. Not only that, homeowners don't usually blow, let alone blow dust all over the air and into the street. So annoying - the worst noise is always the blowers. Ban them.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
How does mowing your lawn with a push mower make you an amateur?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
And, if the next door neighbor didn't mow his lawn, the OP would be raising hell because the grass was too high. Some people just like to b****.

IT'S A LAWN MOWER........people DO mow their lawns !!

Don

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM

190 posts, read 286,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Moving to the country has its own problems, specifically: lack of noise ordinances.
I hear gunshots from the local gun-range every Sunday morning when I read the paper.
That is the Sound of Freedom.

Gotta laugh at city folk that move to the country, then complain about farm noises or smells.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The neighbors' yard is rather big, admittedly, but this guy's been mowing it now for an hour and a half. It's been this constant drone for half the afternoon. I've been glancing out the window every 15-20 minutes and it seems as though he's been working on the same spot all this time!

I think some guys either don't know how to mow a lawn, or they just enjoy the loud roar (plus the fumes and dust). I'm working from home, and sure, I can put on headphones and tune it out, but it does kind of ruin the peace and quiet here on this little suburban lane abutting conservation land.

We have a landscaping company that comes in about once a week and mows; they have this big, fast commercial rider-mower that turns on a dime, and they're in and out of here in 20 minutes. They're noisy, with 2-3 guys using blowers and mowers and trimmers all at once, but they're done so quickly that it's tolerable.

What's annoying is these amateurs, doing an entire lawn with a push mower and seeming to relish taking their time or just not being very organized about it. There oughtta be a law...
Well, I don't think that you can just tell your neighbor to stop mowing his yard unless he can do it in 20 minutes. How about double-paying the landscape company that takes care of your lawn so they can take care of both your neighbor's yard and yours at once?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 PM

190 posts, read 286,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
How does mowing your lawn with a push mower make you an amateur?
Because they walk on their own two feet - instead of hiring a "service" to carry them around like Cleopatra.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
I hear gunshots from the local gun-range every Sunday morning when I read the paper.
That is the Sound of Freedom.

Gotta laugh at city folk that move to the country, then complain about farm noises or smells.
I could not DISAGREE more, and I say this as someone who is not bothered by the noise the original poster was mentioning. However, I most certainly cannot stand the noise of barking dogs, and I've dealt with those quite a bit. You deal with people who think that their yorkie camped out near your property yapping its stupid head off constantly is just "part of living in the country," or that their 9 hunting dogs howling and yapping constantly is as well. It's not. It's noise pollution to a great many other people.

I think a lot of people move to the country because they want QUIET. They don't want other people's noises trespassing uninvited into their living space. They hear all of this talk about moving to the country because of the quiet, only to then encounter these other forms of noise. Where are they supposed to move to, Mars?

The real problem: people don't take noise pollution issues seriously enough, and tell other people "tough" or "get over it," dismissing their legitimate concerns. People who live in the country too often think of "city folk" in a derisive and hateful way vs showing some respect for how they feel. Newsflash--the people who have transplanted from the city have every right to live there, and their opinions are just as valid as those of the people who have always lived there.

I happen to like how living in the country affords me some latitude, I enjoy popping firecrackers--something that in the city would get me in a lot of trouble. I am glad that there is no one complaining about the noise. However, here is the thing--if I had someone close by who was bothered by it, especially if they were to speak of how they had post-traumatic stress disorder from having fought in past wars, and spoke of how they moved to the country for some peace and quiet and "can you see what you can do about controlling that a little'--you know, I am going to show respect for them. I'm not going to be all high and mighty about how "I'm not breaking any laws" and "you move to the country, you're going to hear pops and bangs" and "if it bothers you I don't know what to tell you." No, I am going to show some COMPASSION, and see if I can't work with them. Maybe they frequently go to the VA buildings and visit their war buddies every Tuesday and Thursday, and I can enjoy my firecrackers on those days they're absent.

I can understand that we don't want to deal with people who gripe about EVERYTHING, to the point that you feel like you have to practically whisper and walk around on eggshells, I totally understand that. Yes life happens and there is a certain amount of inevitable "noise of life" that is going to occur just from the fact that people exist and actually do things. HOWEVER, I also submit that one should not dismiss another person's feelings altogether either and show no compassion, and make out like how being in the country gives you the right to not respect where someone else is coming from who is trying to enjoy their living space free of constant noise.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:47 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
And, if the next door neighbor didn't mow his lawn, the OP would be raising hell because the grass was too high. Some people just like to b****.

IT'S A LAWN MOWER........people DO mow their lawns !!

Don
So why can't they use SILENT PUSH MOWERS???
smack head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House