Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
This is a terrible suggestion. The OP has a right to peaceful enjoyment of his home, and the right to complain about it.

Moving to the country has its own problems, specifically: lack of noise ordinances.
In most areas mowing during daylight hours is legal. I have to wander just now his house is insulated and if windows are shut to be disturbed that much. I only hear a hum when my neighbors are cutting. That is with 20 plus HP zero turn mowers we use here because of one acre plus lawns. Of course since he ahs service likely he isn't a experts in mowing anyway. A self propelled mower at 22" a11/2 hours is bad for a large yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 06:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I can sort of relate because I like to open windows and have peaceful chirping and trees rustling. How long have you lived there? And this hasn't bothered you before now? Are you having a hard time staying on task and have decided to visit CDF instead of working? Looking for excuses? Get out there in your bathing suit, with sunscreen and lay in the sun a while. Then get back in there and put your nose to the grind.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The neighbors' yard is rather big, admittedly, but this guy's been mowing it now for an hour and a half. It's been this constant drone for half the afternoon. I've been glancing out the window every 15-20 minutes and it seems as though he's been working on the same spot all this time!

I think some guys either don't know how to mow a lawn, or they just enjoy the loud roar (plus the fumes and dust). I'm working from home, and sure, I can put on headphones and tune it out, but it does kind of ruin the peace and quiet here on this little suburban lane abutting conservation land.

We have a landscaping company that comes in about once a week and mows; they have this big, fast commercial rider-mower that turns on a dime, and they're in and out of here in 20 minutes. They're noisy, with 2-3 guys using blowers and mowers and trimmers all at once, but they're done so quickly that it's tolerable.

What's annoying is these amateurs, doing an entire lawn with a push mower and seeming to relish taking their time or just not being very organized about it. There oughtta be a law...
Quote:
So why can't they use SILENT PUSH MOWERS???
smack head
It seems if you are looking out the window every 15-20 minutes, you aren't really working. Perhaps you should just go into your office....

My dad has a HUGE yard and a riding mower. He mows some of it every day that it is not raining. It brings him joy and it gives him a feeling of accomplishment. He also feels useful doing it.

And a "silent mower"? Really? I think you need some medication or you are going to pop a vein.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:30 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
The neighbors' yard is rather big, admittedly, but this guy's been mowing it now for an hour and a half. It's been this constant drone for half the afternoon. I've been glancing out the window every 15-20 minutes and it seems as though he's been working on the same spot all this time!

I think some guys either don't know how to mow a lawn, or they just enjoy the loud roar (plus the fumes and dust). I'm working from home, and sure, I can put on headphones and tune it out, but it does kind of ruin the peace and quiet here on this little suburban lane abutting conservation land.

We have a landscaping company that comes in about once a week and mows; they have this big, fast commercial rider-mower that turns on a dime, and they're in and out of here in 20 minutes. They're noisy, with 2-3 guys using blowers and mowers and trimmers all at once, but they're done so quickly that it's tolerable.

What's annoying is these amateurs, doing an entire lawn with a push mower and seeming to relish taking their time or just not being very organized about it. There oughtta be a law...
Maybe it's tolerable to you because it's your yard. Your neighbors might hate it.

This seems like a lot of complaining about nothing.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:05 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
You know, I might be your worst neighbor if I mowed my own lawn. I have over a half acre, and I have a battery powered mower because I cannot start a gas mower due to a bad shoulder. I also mow SLOWLY because my knees are shot to sh*t. So if I were mowing my own lawn it would take me about 2 hours of continuous mowing, with additional time for weedeating. Fortunately I have a lovely local guy who comes once a week and does it for me. Maybe my neighbors don't like the noise he makes (doubtful, since they all use riding mowers as well), but they're not home during the day anyway. And if they are, then they can put on headphones - same as you. Geez dude, get away from the window and get to work!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
How is 90 minutes of mowing a large yard "endless"?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:53 AM

187 posts, read 270,347 times
Quote:
I can understand mowers and string trimmers. I can't understand leaf blowers. In the fall, when the grass has stopped growing, people are out there, roaring away with their blowers.
You do realize leaf blowers are for just that... BLOWING LEAVES. Getting them into piles so you can compost them or bag them is a lot faster with a blower than doing it with a rake. And yes, typically the grass has stopped growing by then...

OP you just seem like a grump who has nothing better to do than complain. You complain that your neighbor mows his yard, and I bet you'd be in here complaining if his grass was too tall. Go buy some earplugs and be glad you have a neighbor that actually takes pride in their yard.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:38 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
You do realize leaf blowers are for just that... BLOWING LEAVES. Getting them into piles so you can compost them or bag them is a lot faster with a blower than doing it with a rake. And yes, typically the grass has stopped growing by then...

OP you just seem like a grump who has nothing better to do than complain. You complain that your neighbor mows his yard, and I bet you'd be in here complaining if his grass was too tall. Go buy some earplugs and be glad you have a neighbor that actually takes pride in their yard.
Rakes are a lot quieter than blowers. Manual push mowers are a LOT quieter than gas mowers. Both are MUCH BETTER exercise, too. GOML!

Old 05-23-2015, 01:02 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Rakes are a lot quieter than blowers. Manual push mowers are a LOT quieter than gas mowers. Both are MUCH BETTER exercise, too.
Perhaps you should suggest this to your neighbor. Be sure and video his reaction so we all can enjoy it.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:19 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Rakes are a lot quieter than blowers. Manual push mowers are a LOT quieter than gas mowers. Both are MUCH BETTER exercise, too. GOML!
So insist that your service use them.

Oh everyone else should use them but it is okay for you to have multiple machines come in to work on your yard. I have one word for that - Hypocrite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House