Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 02:49 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

I read good questions, sense great enthusiasm, but I seriously doubt it would be your cup-of-tea. Holding a regular job AND be a GC is not good physically, psychologically, or financially.
Well, building own house is a plan for the future. I need to know more details in order to be prepared well.
My goal is to save more $, then move to the dream area without being attached to a job. And build a house for cash, so job won't be an issue at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:55 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well, building own house is a plan for the future. I need to know more details in order to be prepared well.

Read the second part again-

Building new house: budget planning

Old 09-22-2015, 04:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If you are building your garage detached, you could hold off until a future time to build it, and put your cash into the house.
I build my garage (shop ) first. (very FAST + (toilet and shower + kitchen)) That way I have a place to stash building material I get on sale or freecycle and an apartment for future guests / caregiver / boomerang kids I add RV site adjecent to shop for traveling friends (or to rent out)

Quote:
My goal is to save more $, then move to the dream area without being attached to a job. And build a house for cash, so job won't be an issue at that time.
BTW: you need to learn a LOT more details if you are considering a brick house is not framed with wood. Only in other parts of the world besides USA are 'brick' houses 100% brick. USA builders do not have the time to mess with a 100% masonry house.

We have built many, and had each of our kids design in CAD and build a home from scratch as homeschool projects. (I furnished the bulldozer and LOTS of free labor). They got GREAT reviews from all their inspections, especially electrical. We usually build for under $50 / sf, but materials are now REALLY, really expensive (to be improved with China slow down, but never again will be CHEAP.)

Majority of expensive stuff we get from Habitat ReStore / rebuilding centers, and freecycle / craigslist. I buy my windows from dealers who have a stock of mis-ordered sizes. (I design the home around the cabinets / supplies I have acquired).

My next home will be a 'rammed-earth' home with a steel super structure. In my chosen destination we have to ONLY have a septic permit. No other permits are required (rare). Where my kids built and we did several homes... was PERMIT city!!!! rural property that is Federally controlled (as well as by county). We had permits for EVERYTHING, including paint and roof colors. Electrical / well / septic / wind and snow load were all challenges for the kids to calculate and complete the engineering. They had to go to the regional Native American Indians and do archaeological and plant species surveys (all BEFORE getting permits). The kids each had to pass a 'septic installers professional test', it was good training for life! I have had septic systems for 50+ yrs, so they are good to understand! Keep them healthy and they will serve you well.

Don't expect you will 'get-it-right' on the first, second or third try... Be sure to design for your available materials... i.e. if carpet and vinyl come in 12 ft rolls, don't design a room that is 12'6" square

Read the "low-tax-house-design book", (out of print for many yrs, but you can find copies online).

Old 09-22-2015, 04:30 PM

168 posts, read 285,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
FL- you have to have a license to do just about anything.
GA- you have to have a "general license"
SC- you have to have a "residential license"
NC- you have to have a "general contractor's license"

So, if you think you're going to be doing any "construction" you're going to school first- is it worth it for "one" house?
In many (most?) jurisdictions there are exceptions for working on your own home... otherwise you couldn't even re-hang a door or paint a wall without calling a professional.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
In many (most?) jurisdictions there are exceptions for working on your own home... otherwise you couldn't even re-hang a door or paint a wall without calling a professional.
Being allowed to work on your own house doesn't exempt you from permit and inspection requirements around here. In fact at least one county requires that a homeowner pass a test before being allowed to do any electrical work on their own property.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

BTW: you need to learn a LOT more details if you are considering a brick house is not framed with wood. Only in other parts of the world besides USA are 'brick' houses 100% brick. USA builders do not have the time to mess with a 100% masonry house.
Yes, this is exactly what I want and only have to build because there are no houses like this on a market.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is exactly what I want and only have to build because there are no houses like this on a market.
Many MUCH easier ways to do this than with brick. I like brick too, but Brick can be a maint nightmare and cause you a LOT of grief down the road.

Tilt up concrete w/ exposed aggregate is fast and cheap. (can build your house in a day once the slabs are poured.) I helped an 80 yr old neighbor build a hexagon tilt up home. Went very well, I build some hexagon well houses that way.

My rammed earth will be very cheap, but a lot of work.

Define what you want out of your creation, but brick is very poor in wet or earthquake zones.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:19 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
...working on your own home...

Ya know, if you had been reading along you probably would have noticed the difference in the subject matter of this thread and your statement above.

There's a real distinct difference between "working on" and "building" a house.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Being allowed to work on your own house doesn't exempt you from permit and inspection requirements around here. In fact at least one county requires that a homeowner pass a test before being allowed to do any electrical work on their own property.

But... you seldom need a LICENSE to work on your home

Licensing is usually to protect consumers (bond / insurance requirements)

1) be sure all your contractors are licensed and bonded (check this on-line, don't ask, because OF COURSE they are licensed and bonded...)

2) ALWAYS get a lien release from contractor BEFORE paying final bill.

3) If significant materials have been provided by a contractor, make your checks payable to contractor AND material supplier, so they both have to sign / endorse,

Contractors need to make FAST money and don't like to be micro managed. so... if you want something different than the status quo / CHEAP... build it yourself or be prepared to pay the price.

Nothing hard about building a house, but it is a lot of trouble and can get you into serious trouble if you do it wrong.

Be wise, be safe.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many MUCH easier ways to do this than with brick. I like brick too, but Brick can be a maint nightmare and cause you a LOT of grief down the road.

Tilt up concrete w/ exposed aggregate is fast and cheap. (can build your house in a day once the slabs are poured.) I helped an 80 yr old neighbor build a hexagon tilt up home. Went very well, I build some hexagon well houses that way.

Define what you want out of your creation, but brick is very poor in wet or earthquake zones.
Thanks!
Yes, I am also quite interested in this technology. And also what about poured concrete walls?
Which technology gives stronger structure? Can I significantly reduce price compared to 100% brick with one of these technologies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House