Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 09:13 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times

Advertisements

I recently had some work done on my home. While the workers were in my house, I had a book of stamps on my kitchen counter (which I shouldn't have left there).

The day after they left, I needed to use the stamps, and they were gone. And, these guys were the only ones that had been near the stamps.

I'm not 100% sure they took them since I didn't actually see this happen, but they had ample opportunity because I was away from the area where they were working for a while. Another possibility is that the stamps are somewhere else in the house, but I haven't been able to find them.

Not a huge deal since the stamps aren't that much $, but it's the principal of the thing. That's if they did take them, of course.

Anyway, has anyone ever been 100% sure that someone that did work on your house stole from you?! Just curious..

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 12-13-2015 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 PM

59 posts, read 89,501 times
If it's out in the open, then it's just a petty crime of opportunity. Of course we still feel violated, especially in our own homes, but what are you gonna do about it? Just remember to hide your valuables in the future, at least out of plain view. You are letting strangers into your house after all.

Petty thefts are quite common. I've had tools stolen on job sites, change swiped from the change holder in my car by the mechanic, etc. etc.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:21 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Campbell View Post
If it's out in the open, then it's just a petty crime of opportunity. Of course we still feel violated, especially in our own homes, but what are you gonna do about it? Just remember to hide your valuables in the future, at least out of plain view. You are letting strangers into your house after all.

Petty thefts are quite common. I've had tools stolen on job sites, change swiped from the change holder in my car by the mechanic, etc. etc.
Yes, I agree with you. I always try to hide valuables whenever I let anyone in my house (even if I know them), but in this particular case I neglected to do so. You're right, unless you see it happen there's not much you can do.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:37 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I recently had some work done on my home. While the workers were in my house, I had a book of stamps on my kitchen counter (which I shouldn't have left there).

The day after they left, I needed to use the stamps, and they were gone. And, these guys were the only ones that had been near the stamps.

I'm not 100% sure they took them since I didn't actually see this happen, but they had ample opportunity because I was away from the area where they were working for a while. Another possibility is that the stamps are somewhere else in the house, but I haven't been able to find them.

Not a huge deal since the stamps aren't that much $, but it's the principal of the thing. That's if they did take them, of course.

Anyway, has anyone ever been 100% sure that someone that did work on your house stole from you?! Just curious..
Yep.

Sunglasses (expensive sunglasses) by one of the landscaping crew. Told the owner of the business to ask his "workers" if they came across them in the back yard (he's a good friend of ours) without saying that they were left on one of the patio tables, and his immediate response was, "I was wondering where so-and-so got those". Employee was fired and we got the sunglasses back but he had bent them to fit his very large face and there was no going back. Now my husband sticks to the $4.99 pair he can pick up at Shop Rite.

Good friends of mine had a decent sized addition going on. They moved in with family for 3 months because they had to leave, their kids were little and it wasn't working out any longer (they were told this from the start, but stuck it out as long as they could). First morning back in the house she went to get a bread knife from one of the two knife blocks she had (expensive knives) to cut a bagel for her oldest and…no knives in knife blocks, no knife blocks to be found - and there was zero construction going on in their kitchen, so they didn't pack them away.

Their GM replaced all of it.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:40 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,299 times
Not a house but a car, we were both young and the unlicensed mechanic that was working on my friends car said he had to run to the store for parts with the car and he never came back lol.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:39 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Not a house but a car, we were both young and the unlicensed mechanic that was working on my friends car said he had to run to the store for parts with the car and he never came back lol.
OMG, haha!

That's horrible.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:00 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Never had anything stolen.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:03 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
A lot of burglaries stem from inside connections on legit jobs. The landscaper asks to use the bathroom (who would refuse?), unlatches the window, unlocks the garage side door, and clears the path to come back another time (or for a friend who gives him a nice kickback).

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,484,036 times
I've had movers steal from me. Normally I pack the boxes, tape them up, and the movers just move the sealed boxes. This time the company was paying for boxing and moving, so I thought, why not let them do it. They stole a fancy silver belt buckle worth about $100, and a change collection which was probably worth about $200.

The second time I had hired some local movers, small operation with a driver and two loaders, and one of them took money from my purse. I was moving my mother from an assisted living, so it was just a living/dining combo and a bedroom. I had my purse in the living room, dumb move I know. One of the guys in the bedroom called me in there to tell me something, forgot what it was but it wasn't necessary.

Once they finished up, I pulled out my wallet to give them tips and discovered that $40 was missing. The guy left $40, sweetheart that he was . It didn't take long for me to figure out that the two loaders had planned for one to call me from the room and the other to check my wallet for cash. That was the only time my purse was left unattended.

Here's the clencher though. I was planning on tipping all of them $20 each. There were no tips that day, and I didn't even call them on it. I was so stressed in dealing with the whole "mother" situation that I just wrote it off as ignorance on my part.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:41 PM

107 posts, read 100,949 times
I moved to Miami Beach by myself with my pickup and a small U-Haul. When I got there I hired a couple of guys to help me bring all the stuff up to my 11th floor apartment. Later I noticed that some tools were missing.

Oh well, I had gotten them free when we cleared out our office when the job moved. Olarityne was a nice portable sander which I still wish I had, as I love to work with wood and had redone all the woodwork in my old home. I also had one of those circular saws I think it was, which was way more expensive. I never used it so I ended up giving it away. They obviously didn't see it. I paid them of course to help but would have given them the saw if they had expressed the slightest interest.

Last edited by Noccidoggo; 12-14-2015 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House