Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Funny you said this because when hubby and i purchased our first home a family friend gave us their old refrigerator because they were getting a new one and well we were poor so we took anything that was FREE. We still have the refrigerator and it works great. The thing is probably 40 years old now. We've never had to have it serviced and it still keeps our food cold and keeps the frozen food frozen. yes it's not as big as the newer stuff out there but for 2 people it's perfect.

Same boat here. When we got married we actually had a new house built (in leiu of a "honeymoon"). We took the FREE stuff too. My mom is a REA and had a client selling their fridge for like $50 w/ no ice maker. It had a "manual ice maker" (my kids don't know what ice trays are). About 8 years later we finally bought a new one. Big white side-by-side w/ ice and water in the door. I HIT THE JACKPOT!!! The old one was relegated to the garage. They both were moved again 5 1/2 years ago and the old one is having trouble keeping things COLD. Fine for water, coke's, etc just no milk or meats and stuff. NEVER had a problem w/ it EVER.

OFFTOPIC: BTW, we have a lovely off-white loveseat that is looking for a new home. We got it for FREE from a relative after we got married 15 years ago. It has been in all 3 of our homes, my husbands office at work and the last location was in our media room. We FINALLY bought some media room chairs and it is now sitting in the middle of the game room. I thought about recovering it in black crushed velvet and some zebra print and hot pink pillows for my dd bedroom. She LOVED the idea. However, no matter how many holes the other couch in the gameroom gets in it we are NOT getting rid of it. It was the first couch we purchased brand new when we got married. My oldest sleepwalks from her room to the couch up there EVERY NIGHT! We make fun of her for it but we are keeping the couch so she can take it with her to college Sad thing is all of this furniture was "cheap" when purchased new back then and then handed down and is STILL AROUND!!! Just like all of those old appliances.

Oh, kind of back on topic: My mom and dad's tv went out recently. When she was buying their new one she made the comment that she could not believe the other one ONLY LASTED 17 YEARS. The guy looked at her like she was nuts. Two weeks ago our tv went out after 9 years. Nope, they don't make ANYTHING like the used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
1. If cost is a consideration, I'd go with KitchenAid or JennAir. Quality and reliable
do you mean to say if cost is, or if cost isnt?
those 2 brands, while not uber high-end, are certainly not the least expensive options.
Personally, you couldnt pay me to have another Jennair cooktop with a grill in it!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,026,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
do you mean to say if cost is, or if cost isnt?
those 2 brands, while not uber high-end, are certainly not the least expensive options.
Personally, you couldnt pay me to have another Jennair cooktop with a grill in it!
If cost wasn't a consideration, I'd go with higher end appliances, such as Dacor or Viking. I know what you mean about the old Jennair with a grill. I guess I was thinking of some of the Jennair wall ovens and refrigerators.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
When we bought our house it came with all GE-I would never buy GE again if we had to replace them.

Have a glass cooktop-easy to clean but I hate cooking on elec., great for baking tho.

Our first apartment came with a pink Frigadaire (40 yrs ago) and then it was over 10 yrs old-we moved that baby to NJ and it was still working great when we moved. Kept it in the garage for soda, beer, overflow.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times

gee, as long as we are dreaming, this would be the perfect thing for my french kitchen, think you could find a chateau to fit this into for me??

Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaten View Post
As far as brands go, I wouldn't get Fridgidair. I have not been impressed with my Frigidair appliances at all. They work fine, but they just seem to be too basic and the materials seem to be a little cheap. Plus the dishwasher is way too loud for my taste.
Just bear in mind that appliance "brands" have been sold and/or re-badged so many times, you can't really make a blanket statement about how good or bad an entire brand is, anymore, except for any independents who may make their entire line themselves.

Check out
Appliance411 Repair Parts: Who makes what?

I found it several years ago while shopping for a new kitchen-full of appliances during a renovation. I wanted quality, good consumer reviews, Energy Star ratings, and affordability. Yes, I want it all, and I want it now!

So I ended up with a Frigidaire stove (the name is just dumb on anything but a fridge, but I digress) and all the other appliances were made by different manufacturers. The stove never gave me any trouble. The only thing I didn't care for was the white enamel finish. A bear to keep clean.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Bought the Bosch dishwasher with controls on the top. Controls are not a problem, but we are not that happy with the dishwasher. This was Consumer Report's top dishwasher the year we bought it. This does not say a lot for consumer reports.
I agree 100%.
Consumer reports are only a vague guide IMO. Your mileage may vary considerably, and to your sorrow if it's an expensive item.
Comparative shopping is something I do as a kind of sport I refuse to waste good hard-earned money by throwing it away on junk - if possible. Sometimes you just get a lemon.

I tend to look up every single review I can get my hands on: user opinions, product reviews, what-have-you, from Epinions to individual chain store online reviews, to article reviews, and so on. Let Google go wild. Gathering ALL of this information and reading it, you will start to notice trends. If one person has a specific complaint about a product, OK, you can't please everyone. But if a significant portion of reviewers make the SAME complaint, you've got to sit up and take notice.

P.S. sorry about the Bosch...

Old 02-05-2008, 05:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'm looking to purchase all new appliances in my kitchen. Fridge, dishwasher, stove and overhead microwave. Opinions are appreciated...

1. Any favorite brands?
2. Stainless Steel - Love it or hate it? Anything better?
3. French door fridge or side by side? We want the French door but is it worth the extra money?
4. Lowes, Sears or somewhere else?
5. Stove top - I have to buy electric, so flat top or not? I heard the flat tops take a long time to heat, stain and discolor over time.
6. Dishwasher - Does anyone have the type with the controls on the top of the door, rather then the front? Any issues with that?

Thank you!
I have always shopped sears Kenmore, and now with computer, they have great buy 2 or 3 discounts. I look on line read reviws
then call the store so they get the commission. I just did get the kenmore dishwasher, it was 150.00 off. then I called the store, so the local guy
could get commisions, I also had a few questions. in some state if it is a build in, from the store, no sales tax! like dishwasher oven etc. a kenmore fan I did go white- to save 100.00 the controls are on front, it works great and is real quiet. I do think total was 650.00. with no sales tax and i had them install and take the old one out, and did 2 yr warranty, which you do not need.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
Quote:
so many folks dont realize that! If you get 10 years out of an appliance, you're a lucky one!
That said, there are models that last a lot longer than others, you have to do your homework, and ask the salesfolks LOTS of questions. You wouldnt believe the amount of product knowledge I had to aquire back when I was selling appliances!
my dryer, sears, kenmore, works as day one.
how old are you,? 15 years. my washer is, kenmore, now 9 years old, as the micowave- the dishwaher way loud, so have the kenmore. of the fridge, side by side white, ice maker works great! love kenmore! 9 yrs young! if you wish the car to drive, the washer to wash, the stove to cook? buy for what they do to meet your needs, not the fad, that to will change. If you do have money to spend, many bridges are for sale! Many dogs need a good home! like that ugly green fad! white is always in, and now with cars it beats the color silver? and unless you plan to stay, etc., housing etc., the times are not great.

Last edited by maggiekate; 02-05-2008 at 06:22 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
so many folks dont realize that! If you get 10 years out of an appliance, you're a lucky one!
That said, there are models that last a lot longer than others, you have to do your homework, and ask the salesfolks LOTS of questions. You wouldnt believe the amount of product knowledge I had to aquire back when I was selling appliances!

I have a 1927 Magic chef stove. Is that more than ten years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House