Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:43 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
You could get the concrete "stamped", if you are looking for the look of stone or bricks.
I read that they can add color to it too so it looks more natural. I've never seen it in person though nor do I know how much extra it costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:48 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Couple things to consider.
Is it adjacent to house?
You will need to insure a slight grade to drain water away.
The degree of freeze thaw will determine how deep a base pad you will likely need.

You are looking at probably an 8-10" depth from desired surface level. Lime scaling for the below grade, tamper (hand or motorized rental type), and polymerized sand for the finishing of anything with individual bricks, pavers, uniform stone slabs (infill). There's likely some good DIY videos on youtube.

Other options:
Stamped concrete: there is lot of variety to this and can get most any effect of other types of surfaces.
Modular decking - easy to do yourself not as much character. (UDECX is one manufacturer)

An analogous comment
Can't decide.....Pavers or poured concrete patio?

Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Flagstone patio looks so dated.
A bit off topic, but I love the retro look of Flagstone. I have the original flagstone walkway, patio & inlay on the top of my stoop at my 1950s ranch house & it's in excellent shape. Looks like it was just put down. I would never change it out which I have seen some of my neighbors do.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:38 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
if the patio is done right and the color and medium are what you want, and YOU like it that's all that matters.

I never think of a flagstone patio as dated. It really is a classic look (which is not the same thing) -- and sometimes an "old money look." There are mansions with flagstone patios.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
if the patio is done right and the color and medium are what you want, and YOU like it that's all that matters.

I never think of a flagstone patio as dated. It really is a classic look (which is not the same thing) -- and sometimes an "old money look." There are mansions with flagstone patios.
Very good.

Although it wasn't mentioned, IF you have any place that you decide to have smooth concrete, remember that when it gets wet, it's very easy to slip on. The house I bought has smooth concrete on the front porch and it gets verrrry slippery. So slick, in fact, that I intend to coat it with something with texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House