Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to create a patio in my backyard. I'm doing it myself. I'm wondering if I should use flagstone, pavers or bricks? I definitely want something informal.

Does anyone have suggestions on which product I should use? Cost is definitely a factor.

Does anyone know from whom you buy the supplies? I know I'm going to need gravel, builder sand, and the flagstones/pavers/bricks; but where do I find suppliers for this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
I would go with concrete pavers if cost is a major factor. A nice tumbled paver will also hold up better in an informal patio compared to natural stone -- scratches don't show as much and pavers won't crack under the concentrated force of a table or chair leg.

A local landscape material supplier should be able to deliver everything; you might also be able to rent the plate compactor from them.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:38 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Keep in mind the different weights of those materials if you are truly doing all the work yourself with no one to assist.

Flagstone patios utilize quite a few large pieces. They are heavy! Even an 18" x 18" concrete paver is pretty heavy. The small ones (4" x 8" or so) aren't heavy, but the work is more tedious.

Lowe's or Home Depot should have everything you need.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:49 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
You need polymeric sand for the topping.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:34 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
Flagstone patio looks so dated.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Which product to use will inevitably come down to budget. Then, you HAVE TO figure in your time AND physical condition. And last but not least- how long do you want it to last?

The cheapest and least physically demanding is flagstone. You could literally just plop-it on the ground, fill in the gaps with Mondo grass and be done.

Pavers/bricks are labor intensive, start to finish. They both require a lot of other materials to do a quality install, along with equipment; especially if you want it to last.

I've seen several DIY paver patios over the years and they all had the same result- uneven, angulating surface due to an inadequate base (too much labor removing top soil, not enough base material, and/or tree roots (building too close to trees).

Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Which product to use will inevitably come down to budget. Then, you HAVE TO figure in your time AND physical condition. And last but not least- how long do you want it to last?

The cheapest and least physically demanding is flagstone. You could literally just plop-it on the ground, fill in the gaps with Mondo grass and be done.

Pavers/bricks are labor intensive, start to finish. They both require a lot of other materials to do a quality install, along with equipment; especially if you want it to last.

I've seen several DIY paver patios over the years and they all had the same result- uneven, angulating surface due to an inadequate base (too much labor removing top soil, not enough base material, and/or tree roots (building too close to trees).
I am definitely looking for the most cost-effective and easiest patio. I'm just hoping to get a few years out of it.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Lightbulb Concrete

Have you gotten a quote to have concrete poured? Cost-effective and fast.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Have you gotten a quote to have concrete poured? Cost-effective and fast.
No. But that is a good idea. I completely forgot about concrete. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:46 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,856 times
You could get the concrete "stamped", if you are looking for the look of stone or bricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House