Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,321 times

Advertisements

We just had our floors refinished without sanding by N-Hance. We had to be out of the house all day Saturday, came home Saturday night and could walk on them (in socks) Sunday morning. Our floors look completely refinished!! We still haven't put all of the furniture back (we were told to wait for it to cure a few more days), but the N-Hance contractor "recolored" all of our worn spots and then applied a Matte poly, which hides the dents and scratches from the lights shining down on the floor. The floors are maple with a dark walnut finish (no change there). Time will tell how well it holds up, but we are very, very pleased so far!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Thanks for your input Alisonia.

We have floors that they have estimated to be over 50 years old. Over time the house had termites and it looks like there are a couple areas they ate some of the flooring. Looks like someone took a drill bit to the floor and did very tiny lines. There are also dark stained areas and it looks like burn marks in a couple places.

I know a normal person would want to strip it totally down and refinish it completely so it looks brand new, but I love the fact that the floors are that old and show it. It's hard to make a floor look historic so the last thing I want is to 'fix' it. I've been thinking of doing a deep cleaning and putting down new poly. I think this thread just may have pushed me. I figure if I don't like the way it looks I've got no choice but to totally refinish it, which is the only other choice I have right now anyway, so why not?? I'll take before and after photos too..............

Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,099 times
I've been working on houses for more than 25 years, and have still not seen an acrylic (water-based/"four coats in one day") finish that stands up to wear like high quality polyurethane. I would never use it in my own house. Also, be aware that if your old finish is "broken" in high-traffic areas, and there is dirt staining in the wood grain, then the floor MUST be sanded down completely, 1/8th in. or more into new wood or you'll just seal the stains in with a light sanding and topcoat. It's all very tempting, and easier for the contractors, so they'll sell you on the convenience. Not worth it in the end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House