Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,420 times

Advertisements

Mine was GE hated it, replaced it with a gas one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 09:51 PM

491 posts, read 375,765 times
the electric metal rod ranges were much better than today's glass tops. try stir frying chinese or searing scallops like a frenchman on a glasstop, it SUCKS. gas trumps both, but if had to choose i'd go with an old rod range over glass.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:41 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
What is a cal-rod stove? Is that the stove with the electric coils?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:56 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
[quote=Stagemomma;44550126]How on earth can something spilled on the stove go 'undetected'?

It's very easy for something to go undectected if there are more adults living in the house and only one (me) who does most of the cleaning. And on a black top stove it's not always easy to see if some colourless liquid has been allowed to dry on the top.

This is my main problem with these cooktops. They are not forgiving if you do not do the whole routine (clean them and then use cooktop cleaner) every time you cook on them. Besides the fact that I have lots of cast iron which I used to love to cook with and now cannot.

I see that lots of people are in my camp in not liking these new cooktops. I have to admit, tho, that in a small kitchen they are a godsend, giving you a couple of extra feet of "countertop" and I have enjoyed using them in these situations.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is no trouble getting rid what gets burned on. Take one of those razor scrapers (uses old type single edge razor blades) and scrape it off. No trouble at all. Recommended by stove makers. We find it is the easy way to maintain the stove. There is no other way to get rid of it.
That's the best way. When I used to have a glass top, I did find that it worked best if the blade was decently new with a smooth good edge and to spray some sort of cleaner like 409 on first as a lubricant to help avoid getting scratches. Then follow up with a cloth and more 409 or use Cerama Bryte for more stubborn stuff.

We liked our glass tops, but eventually changed to gas for better control of temperature as we started cooking more complex things.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
We have a gas on glass GE cooktop (a glass top with burners) and love it, though it sucks when it scratches. At our former house we had an electric ceramic (glass?) range and I loved it..way better than the ugly coils.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
I like mine, all my kitchen appliances are Whirlpool. I don't miss the electric coils, drip pans, drip pan liners, etc...much easier to maintain the smooth top.

I will replace the smooth top with a gas cooktop though once I remodel the kitchen, I prefer gas cook top over any of the electric.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:41 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
I don't get all the complaints about keeping a glass top clean. It takes me all of 2 minutes to clean the glass top after it has cooled down. I honestly think some people complain just to hear themselves complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

This is my main problem with these cooktops. They are not forgiving if you do not do the whole routine (clean them and then use cooktop cleaner) every time you cook on them. Besides the fact that I have lots of cast iron which I used to love to cook with and now cannot.
Why do you think you cannot use cast iron? I use cast iron all the time on my glass top stove with no issues at all. Obviously, because it is glass, I don't go banging around the pan on the stove.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM

306 posts, read 550,280 times
Add me to the list of people who hate them. I hate cooking on them, it takes too dang long to lower the temperature I use the method someone else mentioned of moving the pan to the next burner over. I wish I had gas again, may go ahead and install a vent / make it happen when I have to replace it.

The coils are ugly as hell, but they do cook better than glass IMO... And of course gas tops them all.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
I like my glass top Whirlpool. If something boils over, it doesn't go all down in the stove. I don't have to pull elements out to clean either. What I really want is a gas stove and cast iron cookware.
I use my cast iron on mine. Just really careful to put it on there carefully! It heats up fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House