Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:41 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I was quoted $450 to replace the glass on my stove after i dropped a spice jar on it and it cracked, Technicians fee to come out to replace the glass was an additional $125,then another $100 in taxes to purchase the new glass.
I ended up scrapping the 2yr old stove and buying a new electric stove with coils.

Yeah, that 'more than $300' was only the bare bones cheapest minimum cost I could find just for the part.
Range Main Top | Part Number 12001851 | GUARANTEED FIT from Sears PartsDirect That did not include any tax, installation or anything. It would definitely be well into the $500 - $600 range after all was said and done. That is just out right insane for something that could easily happen again.

You might just as well live in a glass house or drive a glass car for that matter for as much sense as glass on a stove top makes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 10:50 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
My opinion of glass-top stoves is they suck! Sure they look nice but if you can't use them to 100% capacity then they are no good to me. You have to be so careful what you set on them, you have to be careful of the temps you use, careful of spillovers and especially careful of what pots/pans you use on them. And whoever came up with the bright idea of using ANY glass on a regularly used stove top has to be out of their ever living minds! Same with these new glass-shelved refrigerators. WTH?

My LL finally replaced my old broken down appliances with a used Maytag glass-top stove and a used Frigidaire with glass shelves. Of course with no warranty on them nor did he supply us with any manuals. I had to go online to research how to use them and what I could use on them. I have had them for about a year now and I am so extra careful with both of them because of the glass. Most all of our meals are cooked out of our home so I cook a lot and I really love to get into my cooking. I can't use 1/2 to 3/4 of the pans I own and had to purchase all new. I don't set any of my groceries, or anything for that matter, on them like I used to be able to do with the coil stove tops. No spoon rests, salt and pepper shakers........nothing. And we have never dropped anything on it either.

The other night I just finished making dinner and we sat down to eat and we kept hearing this strange cracking type noise on and off but we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Went to clean up after dinner and when sliding the sponge across the stove top I noticed a bump or a skip in my swipe. Looked very, very closely and discovered a hair-line crack just outside of the burner that had spread all the way to the back of the stove top. I did absolutely nothing to cause it.

So, because there is no warranty I am sure I am going to get charged for a new glass top. We are talking well over $300 (cheapest I could find which was at Sears). I looked it up because I just know my LL and how cheap he is and nickels and dimes every tenant who has ever lived in this building. I swear he was setting us up on this one knowing him.

Glass anything is just plain insane for ANY appliance that is used on a regular basis, period.
Well, what a bad experience. I'd be unhappy too.

I am curious why you had to get new pots for this stove. There is a misconception about iron. You can use iron on glass tops, unless the mfg. recommends against it. I used iron successfully on my old cooktop.

If done right, the glass used for stoves is fine for the purpose. Your case is odd, and if your LL didn't get a warrantee then he is shortsighted.

I know you can crack these if you leave a dry pot on the heated glass top, because my mom did that over a decade ago. I want to wish you luck with your LL. It sounds like there was a defect in the glass.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:23 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, what a bad experience. I'd be unhappy too.

I am curious why you had to get new pots for this stove. There is a misconception about iron. You can use iron on glass tops, unless the mfg. recommends against it. I used iron successfully on my old cooktop.

If done right, the glass used for stoves is fine for the purpose. Your case is odd, and if your LL didn't get a warrantee then he is shortsighted.

I know you can crack these if you leave a dry pot on the heated glass top, because my mom did that over a decade ago. I want to wish you luck with your LL. It sounds like there was a defect in the glass.

Not all of my pots/pans were all totally flat-bottomed and I also used to cook with a lot of cast iron which is what I loved using the most. I wouldn't ever use either of those with the glass top because I was too afraid of possible repercussions. There are so many things that are not recommended for glass top stoves as far as what you can't/shouldn't use on it as far as cookware, what you can't or shouldn't set on it and how it needs to be cleaned/maintained that it makes my head spin. It is a stove after all and it should be utilized as such and not just meant to look 'pretty' or to constantly have to be so careful with.
For instance: What Not to Do on a Ceramic or Glass Cooktop

LL picks this stuff up wherever he can as either used or free so of course he never has manuals nor do they ever come with any warranties.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:27 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
On another note, I actually like electric ranges now, I think having gas in a home or community is dangerous. A house blew up in my father's neighborhood last year because of a bad gas line.

The only thing I don't like about an electric over is that it stays hot much longer than the gas one, and those coils are a pain in the neck to move around when you are cleaning the oven, but the bottom storage are is nice.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Not all of my pots/pans were all totally flat-bottomed and I also used to cook with a lot of cast iron which is what I loved using the most. I wouldn't ever use either of those with the glass top because I was too afraid of possible repercussions. There are so many things that are not recommended for glass top stoves as far as what you can't/shouldn't use on it as far as cookware, what you can't or shouldn't set on it and how it needs to be cleaned/maintained that it makes my head spin. It is a stove after all and it should be utilized as such and not just meant to look 'pretty' or to constantly have to be so careful with.
For instance: What Not to Do on a Ceramic or Glass Cooktop

LL picks this stuff up wherever he can as either used or free so of course he never has manuals nor do they ever come with any warranties.
This does not jibe with my experience. However my cast iron was old stuff. If you have older cast iron that has worn smooth, it should work fine. I would never use cast iron if I had trouble lifting it though. You definitely don't want to drop it on the stovetop! I am also using cast iron on my glass topped induction cook top with great results. I used iron on a regular glass topped electric for years before I got my induction.

I do not like "pretty" cookware or anything else in my kitchen. For me, function is everything. I do like simple lines which I find pleasing, but first things first--how does the stove, pot, utensil or whatever work?

I would never buy another glass topped cooktop, like I had before. I would want induction or gas. Both of these are superior in every way. However the OP posted about already having a glass top electric, and I tried to make constructive suggestions. For fast boiling of water for tea or pasta, I'd recommend adding a portable induction burner to supplement a slow response electric stove or cooktop.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Burton-6200-1...duction+burner

Read all the reviews first! You want one of these with the power to boil water fast.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:44 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
How the hell is a smooth glass top harder to clean than the nooks and crannies of a gas or coil stove? I've had all types and the glass top is the absolute easiest to clean of all of them by a LARGE margin.
Because nooks and crannies actually come CLEAN. You spill something on a glasstop and it burns on, and there is no getting the mess off. It looks awful. My ex had one, my BF, and my son in his apartment last year. All of them have permanent burned material on them.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,934,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Because nooks and crannies actually come CLEAN. You spill something on a glasstop and it burns on, and there is no getting the mess off. It looks awful. My ex had one, my BF, and my son in his apartment last year. All of them have permanent burned material on them.
I have to agree with those who think glass top's are easier to clean. I hated trying to clean the nooks & crannies of both my gas and coiled stoves as well. I find our glass top to be much easier to clean and never had any issues getting anything off it. See my earlier post for a cleaning kit that I recommended. Try that - it works great for us.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
All the replies here are interesting. There are lovers and haters of these stoves. The lovers, naturally, have never had issues with them, and the haters have mostly all had bad experiences of some kind.

Personally, I consider the glasstop stove the most fragile thing in my house, and having guests in the house who will be cooking (and cleaning) is a nightmare because of the dos and don'ts you have to go through them with about these stoves.

Something colorless was spilled on our stove (by someone else who will remain nameless), cleaned up with a swipe of the sponge, cooked on, discovered the next day by me, cleaned and scrubbed with Weiman glasstop cleaner (my usual), and two weeks later after multiple cleanings you can still see the spill if you look at the stove in a raking angle to the light. I spend more time cleaning up the stovetop after every meal than I do on the whole rest of the kitchen. This is not my idea of a work-saving appliance.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:50 PM

356 posts, read 281,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Personally, I consider the glasstop stove the most fragile thing in my house, and having guests in the house who will be cooking (and cleaning) is a nightmare because of the dos and don'ts you have to go through them with about these stoves.

Something colorless was spilled on our stove (by someone else who will remain nameless), cleaned up with a swipe of the sponge, cooked on, discovered the next day by me, cleaned and scrubbed with Weiman glasstop cleaner (my usual), and two weeks later after multiple cleanings you can still see the spill if you look at the stove in a raking angle to the light. I spend more time cleaning up the stovetop after every meal than I do on the whole rest of the kitchen. This is not my idea of a work-saving appliance.
For last 24 years I have owned gas ranges and absolutely loved them. When I bought my latest house in December it had a glass top stove. I figured it wasn't a big deal since I don't cook a lot anymore and I lived alone so I could control what happened to it. Notice I said "lived". LOL My DD and SIL are living with me for a few months and the stove is a mess! I try to keep up with it, and they do too, but bacon is not this stove's friend! I'm not stressing over it too much because I am wanting to replace my appliances with the slate ones, but I won't do that until they move out. I purposely missed the 4th of July sales so I could get the new stove after they leave. Hopefully there will be just as good Labor Day sales.

So in answer to the original question, I am not a fan of the glass top stoves, but I'm kind of stuck with them in my new place.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:37 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkelives View Post
Hated mine, but it was definitely an older model, and maybe they are better. Fascinating about the induction stove that you can touch with your hand!
Any type of stove can be touched with your hand.

On a more serious note , I have a friend who "upgraded" to it a couple of years back. When I visited recently, the inducting stove was converted to a spot where other kitchen stuff are put over. In short, they don't use it anymore and reverted back to gas stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House