Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:07 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times

Advertisements

Well, I will not be cooking with cast iron on my glasstop stove. Here is a statement from a cookware publication on the different types of cookware recommended and not recommended for glasstop stoves:

Cast-iron pans, in general, are a good choice, but its surface might scratch your stove’s glass easily. Once it’s heated, cast iron pans get extremely hot and might shut down or even break your glass top stove. Due to its material and weight, accidental impact of these types of pans might crack or shatter your stove’s surface.

I still feel that cooking without worrying about the surface I'm cooking on is the best way. Many posters seem to like gas - and I do too. Too bad it's not available in our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:38 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, I will not be cooking with cast iron on my glasstop stove. Here is a statement from a cookware publication on the different types of cookware recommended and not recommended for glasstop stoves:

Cast-iron pans, in general, are a good choice, but its surface might scratch your stove’s glass easily. Once it’s heated, cast iron pans get extremely hot and might shut down or even break your glass top stove. Due to its material and weight, accidental impact of these types of pans might crack or shatter your stove’s surface.

I still feel that cooking without worrying about the surface I'm cooking on is the best way. Many posters seem to like gas - and I do too. Too bad it's not available in our town.
And a gas stove might burn your house down. The keyword is might. You take care of what you are doing and you won't have that problem.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
I like them, but I have an electric one with the coils right now. When I upgrade I am going to get a flat glasstop electric. We don;t have gas lines here which is fine with me.

I had a roommate once and he had a flattop electric and one time I was frying something and the oil overflowed and caught the surface on fire, I was able to turn it off and blow it out, but it was scary and I did not know they could catch on fire like that.

There were some round stain marks that seem impossible to clean but it looks much better than the coils.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:50 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I'm skeptical of smooth top ranges because I do a lot of canning -- I need constant, even heat for long periods of time, especially for pressure canning; and I need to be able to place a large, heavy pot full of water onto the burner.

I do better with coil burners and a heavy-duty canning element that I can buy for $50 and install myself.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:24 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm skeptical of smooth top ranges because I do a lot of canning -- I need constant, even heat for long periods of time, especially for pressure canning; and I need to be able to place a large, heavy pot full of water onto the burner.

I do better with coil burners and a heavy-duty canning element that I can buy for $50 and install myself.
The spouse brews beer - about 5 gallons of beer at a time, in a pot that is about 12" in diameter. At the other house he brewed in the kitchen using the highest power burner on the gas range. At this house, he tried it once and then bought an outdoor propane ring burner that is much faster to boil and easier to control the temp.

And EVERYONE who brews brew will have a problem with boil overs every now and then and that is a nasty mess to have to clean off a stove - it is a sugary, frothy mess of the kind that likes to pit glass. You can't just stop the process to clean up, either, not without ruining the temperature-sensitive batch.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I definitely hate glass-top. My BF has one, and it's a hateful mess to clean. I still have an electric-coil stove, and when I have to replace it, it will either be gas or another of the same. No glass-top for me!

How the hell is a smooth glass top harder to clean than the nooks and crannies of a gas or coil stove? I've had all types and the glass top is the absolute easiest to clean of all of them by a LARGE margin.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 PM

350 posts, read 415,751 times
I loathe electric stoves in general, but especially the glass top one in particular. I am looking forward to having a gas one put in!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Any type of kitchen stove takes a small learning curve to master it completely. I have cooked with wood kitchen stoves, kerosene cook stoves, gas cook stoves, and electric cook stoves, including all types of electric stoves.

The people that have problem with a smooth top stove, have not taken the trouble to lean to properly use it (speaking as someone that spent 10 years in the appliance business). If you are constantly boiling things over on one, you simply do not know how to properly use one.

If you do boil over or spill something on it, wipe it up right away and/or if it dries on the stove, simply take a razor blade scraper and get rid of it not let it set a few days before you clean it off.

As others have said, scrape as needed, a little Bar-Keepers Friend and a little water and the stove will look like new. Ours is 10 years old, and the top is clean and sparkles.

If you are having problems with your stove, it is your fault for one of two reasons.

1--You have not adapted to the stove and are not using it properly.

2--You are lazy and don't make sure it is clean after each use.

But these are problems with any type of stove, and I know as I had to keep telling users how to use the type of stove they had.
In my opinion, as a user of gas, electric coil, cast iron, glass top and induction in my lifetime, there should not be such a learning curve with this everyday appliance. I do agree there is. I think the glass tops cook the same way as the coil stoves. I noticed this when I had to use a coil type for three months in an apartment, in 2012. They work the same, with lag time every time you turned the burner on or changed settings. If I had to choose between either electric, or gas, I'd choose gas. However, if I had my choice of any sort, I'd choose induction, as I posted earlier.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:53 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,737 times
My opinion of glass-top stoves is they suck! Sure they look nice but if you can't use them to 100% capacity then they are no good to me. You have to be so careful what you set on them, you have to be careful of the temps you use, careful of spillovers and especially careful of what pots/pans you use on them. And whoever came up with the bright idea of using ANY glass on a regularly used stove top has to be out of their ever living minds! Same with these new glass-shelved refrigerators. WTH?

My LL finally replaced my old broken down appliances with a used Maytag glass-top stove and a used Frigidaire with glass shelves. Of course with no warranty on them nor did he supply us with any manuals. I had to go online to research how to use them and what I could use on them. I have had them for about a year now and I am so extra careful with both of them because of the glass. Most all of our meals are cooked out of our home so I cook a lot and I really love to get into my cooking. I can't use 1/2 to 3/4 of the pans I own and had to purchase all new. I don't set any of my groceries, or anything for that matter, on them like I used to be able to do with the coil stove tops. No spoon rests, salt and pepper shakers........nothing. And we have never dropped anything on it either.

The other night I just finished making dinner and we sat down to eat and we kept hearing this strange cracking type noise on and off but we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Went to clean up after dinner and when sliding the sponge across the stove top I noticed a bump or a skip in my swipe. Looked very, very closely and discovered a hair-line crack just outside of the burner that had spread all the way to the back of the stove top. I did absolutely nothing to cause it.

So, because there is no warranty I am sure I am going to get charged for a new glass top. We are talking well over $300 (cheapest I could find which was at Sears). I looked it up because I just know my LL and how cheap he is and nickels and dimes every tenant who has ever lived in this building. I swear he was setting us up on this one knowing him.

Glass anything is just plain insane for ANY appliance that is used on a regular basis, period.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post

So, because there is no warranty I am sure I am going to get charged for a new glass top. We are talking well over $300 (cheapest I could find which was at Sears)..
I was quoted $450 to replace the glass on my stove after i dropped a spice jar on it and it cracked, Technicians fee to come out to replace the glass was an additional $125,then another $100 in taxes to purchase the new glass.
I ended up scrapping the 2yr old stove and buying a new electric stove with coils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House