Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times

Advertisements

1 word: awesome! (Except mines the new black stainless)
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone else besides me hate the glass top stoves?-image.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 08:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
They are actually not glass but a ceramic glass. I love them. I have had 5 of them and loved every one of them. I just got a $5000 gas range and although it looks great and cooks well I still like my ceramic top stoves better. I never have a problem cleaning them. A bit of easyoff and vim mix and presto... clean stove!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:29 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
I inherited one with the condo we bought. I hate it. I cooked with a gas range for nearly 30 years and loved it. Unfortunately, the condo is not hooked up for gas, nor does it have a ceiling vent (first floor kitchen, two story condo), so I can't replace the electric.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:08 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
I recently posted about this in the Food forum. I have a glasstop Whirlpool that came with the house & I hate it! But I hate cooking/baking on electric in general...had natural gas stoves all my life until this move. The uneven cooking temperatures from electric is a pain in the ---. Gas cooking & baking produces a much better end product.

When we moved here, a neighbor said that I wouldn't be able to use my trusty copper-bottom Revereware or my cast iron, that they would break the stovetop...that was 5 years ago, & I've not had that problem. For cleaning, I spray on window cleaner & wipe with paper towel, but there is no way that I'm going to tediously scrape with a razor blade. If someone can recommend a good cleaner for this type of cooktop, I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:46 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
... When we moved here, a neighbor said that I wouldn't be able to use my trusty copper-bottom Revereware or my cast iron, that they would break the stovetop...that was 5 years ago, & I've not had that problem. For cleaning, I spray on window cleaner & wipe with paper towel, but there is no way that I'm going to tediously scrape with a razor blade. If someone can recommend a good cleaner for this type of cooktop, I'd appreciate it.
When I had one of the stoves in question (and mine had a white top) I used Earth Brite All-Natural Clay Cleaner on it. It's some kind of clay from France (a thick, yellowish paste) that is slightly abrasive but doesn't scratch surfaces. I use it on my stainless steel sink, too, and it works better than other cleansers to my mind. I also had good results cleaning the floor of my shower with it. You only need a little bit, so the small container, which comes with its own sponge, goes a long way. That's good because it's expensive. But it's worth it to me.

It's sold on Amazon but I get mine from the Home Shopping Network on TV. It's a bit cheaper there and you get two jars. That lasts more than a year at my house. The clay dries out, but you just wet the sponge, rub it on the clay until you have some on the sponge and then apply the clay to what you're trying to clean. Of course you have to rinse it off well or you'll have a white residue. But it always left my stove-top looking shiny and clean. Earth Brite is also non-toxic and biodegradable, which is better than some freaky chemical.

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Natural-...ews/B005LFUP1S

Old 06-26-2016, 05:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I bought a glass top stove a few years ago and regretted the decision, cleaning the thing was a major chore and with in a month or so i accidentally dropped a spice jar on the surface and the glass top cracked,repair was going to cost $500,.i ended up scrapping the stove before i'd had it for a year and went back to the old dependable electric ring burner stove,also replacing an element is $10 on the electric ring stove cost to replace an element on that glass top thing was $125.
My choice Reliable ,dependable and will last for years=
http://theappliancewarehouse.ca/images/stove11.JPG

Old 06-26-2016, 06:03 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
I won't have one, not excited about any electric stoves in general, but really don't like these. I use almost exclusively cast iron.
Oh, and I have noticed that when houses are up for sale the house can need thousands of dollars in updates, and they will still have one of these stoves. I assume it has to be the "new best thing", and something small that helps sell the house?
This would be the first thing I would negotiate out of a contract! Especially with a matching microwave

Old 06-26-2016, 06:16 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I don't love them (well, I do love the induction type, but too poor for those), but they beat the snot out of the old coil type electric. Most people who enjoy cooking prefer gas over electric, that's simply a given, no need to mention it... I've bought 6~8 (different houses, some rentals), half of those used and I can't really find fault with them. I certainly don't Hate them, it's just an appliance, life's too short to hate something so cheap and easily replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
If someone can recommend a good cleaner for this type of cooktop, I'd appreciate it.
We've been using Barkeepers Friend on them since our first one in 2006. It doesn't scratch (acid, not abrasive), doesn't dull, gets up EVERYTHING, though some things need a little more rubbing (not harder, just longer) and it leaves a film that needs to be wiped off afterwards (windex).

All of our cookware is stainless, and it cleans THAT to look almost like new again too. We have both liquid (best for the stove) and powder (best for the pots) living under the kitchen sink.

We've tried all the "purpose made" cleaners, none do a better job though most cost multiples of times more.

Be warned, spilled sugar that's not cleaned up right away *WILL* eat pits into the top. I missed some while making candy one day and the stove has been "ruined" (according to my wife) for about a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I use almost exclusively cast iron.
Oh, and I have noticed that when houses are up for sale the house can need thousands of dollars in updates, and they will still have one of these stoves. I assume it has to be the "new best thing", and something small that helps sell the house?
Err.. I use cast iron with mine frequently, and they are some of the cheapest stoves out there.. I've paid $100 for a couple put into rentals (looked like new, was the cheapest replacements I could find).

Old 06-26-2016, 08:01 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
The old Cal-rods were so dependable. You could put your cast iron on them, they hardly ever needed cleaning because everything usually burned off, and if they ever burnt out, you could replace them.

These new guys need cleaning with expensive preparations every single day if you have more than two people in a house. Anything that is spilled on them and goes undetected makes a huge stuck-on mess that is sometimes impossible to get off. Any little thing will scratch them - and I don't have a cheap stove but one of the more expensive - and I'm dreading leaving my grown son in the house for two weeks while we go away because I know I will have an enormous job when I come back to get the thing back to new-looking.

Give me my old Cal-rod equipped stove again, please!
How on earth can something spilled on the stove go 'undetected'?

I've been stuck with gas for many many years. Those are HARD to clean. I'm due for a promotion and the FIRST thing on my list is a solid surface stove.

And BTW, who says any appliance has to remain new-looking? They depreciate the second you drive them off the lot.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:47 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
I have a KitchenAid glass cook top. I clean it with a razor blade, warm water with a tiny bit of Dawn, and use Cerama Bryte to finish it off. There's not much scraping to it at all unless you let it get real grungy. The trick to using Cerama Bryte is that it doesn't take much at all. Too much and you'll get a smeary effect. It still looks great.

I hate the coils, and worse than those are the sold element things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House