Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:27 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurhammond View Post
If you are lazy, Roomba is definitely the way to go. Quite expensive but worth it over the long run. Think of it as hiring a slow, clumsy maid that still gets the floor completely vacuumed.
I just saw a Roomba 880 in action and I'm looking forward to getting one. My sister has one on each floor and they do a great job. Seriously cut down on heavy vacuuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We gave up on Roomba after our fifth one. They rarely last a year for us. Usually the battery stops working and a new one costs almost as much as a new Roomba (or more sometimes).

We also have never found a vacuum that works for us. We bought some that work extremely well when they work, but all of them seem to jam or replacement bags are hard to find, or they cannot suck up birdseed and just throw it around, or. . .. . We finally gave up. We have five or six vacuums that do not work waiting for me to look at them, but we just let Ruth do the vacuuming once a week. Now my rigid shop vac has worked wonderfully for more than ten years, despite terrible abuse (running it with no filter, leaning it out in the rain, falling down the stairs, flying out of the back of my truck. . . ), but it is impractical for area cleaning.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 AM

I plan on getting a Dyson Cinetic Animal tomorrow, so we'll see. I've been very happy with my old Dyson, except it was a bit hard to push on carpet.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Most of the old vacuums that are still around have one thing in common and that is they are a little more noisier than modern vacs. The industry is geared to make them quieter because the biggest buyer is the hotel industry. The best vac I have is the basic upright by Eureka I bought for around $80.00. It's loud because the housing is not heavy but that makes it lightweight. I can buy parts online to switch out any thing.

Animal hair is problematic because it can restrict air flow in a vacuum even if the bag or filter compartment is not full. We have dog that sheds profusely so I use a youtube trick where a guy runs a squeegee on a long handle over his carpet like a rake. Works like a charm.

I think most vacs are made in either Korea or Germany by one of two companies. Companies like Dyson go overboard trying to show all the cool stuff their vac can do when they really just need to do two things, run a fan and a belt Things haven't changed since a salesman came to my house trying to sell me an expensive Rainbow Vac for $750.00 thirty years ago.

I would buy something basic with a bag use it frequently so dirt doesn't get ground to finely and switch out the belt, and bags every thirty days and buy a new beater bar yearly.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Most of the old vacuums that are still around have one thing in common and that is they are a little more noisier than modern vacs. The industry is geared to make them quieter because the biggest buyer is the hotel industry. The best vac I have is the basic upright by Eureka I bought for around $80.00. It's loud because the housing is not heavy but that makes it lightweight. I can buy parts online to switch out any thing.

Animal hair is problematic because it can restrict air flow in a vacuum even if the bag or filter compartment is not full. We have dog that sheds profusely so I use a youtube trick where a guy runs a squeegee on a long handle over his carpet like a rake. Works like a charm.

I think most vacs are made in either Korea or Germany by one of two companies. Companies like Dyson go overboard trying to show all the cool stuff their vac can do when they really just need to do two things, run a fan and a belt Things haven't changed since a salesman came to my house trying to sell me an expensive Rainbow Vac for $750.00 thirty years ago.

I would buy something basic with a bag use it frequently so dirt doesn't get ground to finely and switch out the belt, and bags every thirty days and buy a new beater bar yearly.
Not sure why you would want to mess with a bag or even filters, when vacs do a great job without them. So i got a great deal on a Dyson Cinetic Animal today, and test drove it. It could suck the wallpaper off the walls, and seeing the dirt in the canister is very satisfying. I still find it a bit hard to push on thick carpet, just like my old one, but otherwise, Im a happy camper. I still hope to get a Roomba for a daily once over.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:25 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure why you would want to mess with a bag or even filters, when vacs do a great job without them. So i got a great deal on a Dyson Cinetic Animal today, and test drove it. It could suck the wallpaper off the walls, and seeing the dirt in the canister is very satisfying. I still find it a bit hard to push on thick carpet, just like my old one, but otherwise, Im a happy camper. I still hope to get a Roomba for a daily once over.
Bagless is more convenient. The big push for bagless was commercial cleaners letting bags burst. People with allergies like the bags. I'll probably spend $100.00 extra on bags and belts for the life of my vac. I had a bagless vac that was a dark color and after a while I started to notice fine dust on the housing, fine dust was getting past the canister.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 13,099 times
Wow - incredible amount of info on this thread! Here's my 2 cents: Dysons are great but also blow most people's budgets. If you can afford one and will actually USE all the attachments they come with, they do a great job. However, if you have a skinnier budget, Shark, Hoover and some other manufacturers aren't too shabby either. Robotic vacs are great but don't work for everyone (for one thing, you have to keep the floor picked up). This site has a cool comparison of pet hair vacuums you might want to check out?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:26 PM

15 posts, read 8,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Glad you like the Dyson, it sounds like a beast. Since you have thick carpet, a Roomba might just take care of maintenance vacuuming for you. It won't completely replace the Dyson though, since carpets require more suction than hardwood floors.

I don't have any carpet and use my Roomba to do all the vacuuming, then I use a damp mop every other month. The floors are pristine!

Old 12-11-2018, 01:04 AM

7 posts, read 3,978 times
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV352 has been our pick for best vacuum for four years running, and it’s a great vacuum for both hardwood floors and carpets. Its powerful suction cleans both surfaces very well, and smart design features make it easy for you to optimize its performance on each.

The most important feature for vacuuming hardwood floors is a spinning brush roll that you can turn off to eliminate any chance of sending big crumbs flying across the room, or even damaging the finish on certain types of flooring. On the Navigator Lift-Away you turn the brush roll off with an easy flick of the power switch located behind the canister and turn it back on just as easily for cleaning carpets.

In our bare-floor tests, the Navigator Lift-Away performed as well as any machine at picking up cat hair, dried chickpeas, ground coffee, shredded paper, sawdust, and sand in just a few passes. We were particularly impressed by how quickly and completely it picked up cat litter from a bare floor (in a single back-and-forth pass). We couldn’t get the Shark to clog in our clogging tests, but if it ever happens, the vacuum comes apart in more places than any of its competitors, making it easier for you to fix the problem.

The Navigator Lift-Away, compared with other uprights, also has a low-profile floorhead, which is important for hard-to-reach places like under furniture. “I can get under my kitchen cabinets with no problem,” writes reviewer Amrodam on Amazon, a sentiment we confirmed in our own tests. Its side-suction performance (that is, its ability to pick up debris from the left and right side of the floorhead) also stood out: It picked up almost all of the lentils and cat litter we scattered into a corner and up against baseboards, outperforming even some high-end vacuums we’ve tested in that regard.

The Navigator Lift-Away easily adjusts to accommodate different surfaces, from bare floors to medium-pile rugs. Twist open a release valve on the hose and the suction drops off enough to allow the vacuum to roll smoothly without choking on the carpet fibers. Close the valve and you get full suction on hard surfaces.

Best Vacuum for Hardwood Floors And Carpet Reviews By Getcleaningdone

Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
when they measure the speed of light in a vacuum , is it a hoover or electolux ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House