Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times

Advertisements

When building a new home or renovating an old home, what factors determine if 150 amp or 200 amp service is available, provided and/or installed? Does the amount of 220 volt outlets for things like AC/water heater/range/dryer have anything to do with amp service installed?
If 200 amp service is available, why would the contractor/electrician install only a 150 amp service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 PM

100 posts, read 550,462 times
Expense. Blueprints. Contract. Utility Company. Planned useage.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I can't think of a single good reason why new construction would go with 150 amp service instead of 200. I would lay it to a REALLY cheap builder, and I'd be looking for other places where corners were cut to save pennies.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:29 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Hell, I don't know where they'd even find a 150amp main breaker.

That just sounds so bizarre to me.

Are you sure you didn't mean 100 or 200 amp?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I agree with Harry. I have seen many 150 amp services, and many 100 amp. Sometimes people who want to upgrade an existing home do not want the expense of changing the service entrance cable, so they just replace the main panel box with whatever the main service cable is rated.

In new construction, it is foolish to go less than 200 amp. The cost difference is minimal. One should also go with a quality box with a good amount of spaces for breakers......for the resale value alone this is a wise choice.

Frank

Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Sometimes people who want to upgrade an existing home do not want the expense of changing the service entrance cable, so they just replace the main panel box with whatever the main service cable is rated.

You can't make a 100amp service into a 150amp service just by changing the panel.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You can't make a 100amp service into a 150amp service just by changing the panel.
Of course not. I did not say they could. That is why I stated that folks who want to "upgrade" the service panel only could upgrade from fuses to breakers only up to the size, (rating) of the service entrance cable.

I usually suggest that both the service entrance cable and the box be upgraded the same time. Many times if the panel box is so old as to be in need of replacing, the service entrance cable is also frayed, or the seal between the cable and meter is compromised, thus allowing water intrusion. If one is going to pay an electrician to do one, they might as well do the whole thing.

If one is proficient in such things, you can do this yourself, as long as you schedule the utility company and the electrical inspector, having everything ready and inspected before the utility company does the switch at the masthead.
Of course, you have to know what you are doing. I have upgraded at least half a dozen electrical services on my homes, doing an excellent, code compliant job, saving hundreds of dollars. It is not usually a DIY project though.

Frank

Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
I have a 5 year new custom home in S E Florida and I requested the builder to install a 200 amp 40 breaker panel box..200 amp here is standard..

Low and behold when I first viewed the panel it was a Cutler Hammer 30 breaker panel and I was ticked. Our home is 3,200sf and the builder's electrician said the box was the higher priced one and the amount of money set aside for the upgrade only took care of the better box...... Kinda stupid of them not to contact me but when building a home from scratch lots and lots of things take up time... We are very much in love with the home, however everyone got hit hard in Real Estate. Prices have been cut in half. No one can build a new home at what the RE is said to be worth. We paid 400k+ 46k in upgrades and it is now worth 245k...

Oh well we still love Florida and the climate. Imagine going to a Christmas party in shorts and a polo shirt? Living in PA for 55 years I find it hard to get adjusted to the Fall + Winter not being cold...OH well. No shoveling...

Come on down! ! !

Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Agreed Synergy.
My 15 year old Florida home has a 150 amp service.....wish it were 200 amp. I doubt I could change it pretty easily, since they have a different setup here then I'm used to up north. The main panel box is mounted outside right next to the meter, with a subpanel in the garage servicing most of the regular conductors in the house. The service entrance then goes underground to a transformer somewhere down the street.

If THAT cable is 200 amp, and it is stepped down from the meter to the main panel, it would be an easy upgrade......if it is not though, I'm sure it would be expensive to upgrade the service from that transformer.

I could live with a 150 amp service down there.....we'll see, as I am continually upgrading the house down there to be built as well as I built this NY one....

Frank

Old 07-25-2010, 04:34 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When building a new home or renovating an old home, what factors determine if 150 amp or 200 amp service is available, provided and/or installed? Does the amount of 220 volt outlets for things like AC/water heater/range/dryer have anything to do with amp service installed?
If 200 amp service is available, why would the contractor/electrician install only a 150 amp service?

a load calculation determines service size.

200A is overkill for most homes, but it is standard in a new home.

if you ever get a chance to notice, the overhead lines supplied by the power company to homes w/ 200A services are half the size of that the electrician is required to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House