Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times

Advertisements

First chance you get, you should tell your neighbor you didn't appreciate it. Hope he tells the other neighbors too of how ungrateful you are so they won't help you when you ask for help.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:19 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
I could tell immediately from reading your first post. I could spot the "northeast" a mile away. (I'm from NJ)

People from the northeast (particularly NY/NJ/PA) are unbelievably paranoid about lawsuits.

Relax. Thank your neighbor.
LOL, your response made me laugh! Thanks for understanding! It's hard to break old habits but I'll try not to be so paranoid going forward! We'll have a friendly chat with our neighbor soon.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Okay, maybe I should be appreciative instead of annoyed, lol! I'm a native New Yorker; I was born and raised in Queens and lived in New York for more than four decades. This sort of thing wouldn't happen in New York! So since I'm currently living in NC, I'll have to adjust my way of thinking. I'll be sure my husband has a friendly chat with our neighbor, although I don't necessarily feel like we owe him a gift.
And people wonder why Southerners have issues with some Northerners? Seriously?

I find it sad that you find a helpful neighbor suspicious. I hope you and your husband will thank the neighbor - it really isn't hard - just go by and say 'Thank you so much!'.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
We would do the same thing for a neighbor and a neighbor would do the same thing for us.
We expect nothing in return however we would offer homemade cookies, homemade pie or a good meal.

OP: NC is very different than where you are from. Graccefully accept this gesture as it was intended.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
I've lived in the NY area my entire life and have always had neighbors who would do this. Only a couple of years ago people all over NY and NJ did precisely this type of thing after Sandy wreaked havoc. The OP and the chimer-inner from Staten Island don't get a location based pass and need to stop blaming their behavior on anything other than the man-in-the-mirror.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
No, you don't necessarily owe him a gift, and he didn't necessarily have to clear the debris.

But it would be nice and neighborly to give him a little something, and it was extremely nice and neighborly for him to clear the debris.

You're not in New York anymore, Dorothy.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:40 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
People, lighten up. The OP just needed a nudge to accept the gift of help. I think she got the message.

GPC, even just a simple 'Thank you' when you see your helpful neighbor will be good

Old 09-09-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I've lived in the NY area my entire life and have always had neighbors who would do this. Only a couple of years ago people all over NY and NJ did precisely this type of thing after Sandy wreaked havoc. The OP and the chimer-inner from Staten Island don't get a location based pass and need to stop blaming their behavior on anything other than the man-in-the-mirror.
You've been lucky with neighbors then. None of my NY neighbors would've cleared a fallen tree branch from my house. Sandy isn't a fair comparison. Sandy, along with other rare events like 9/11, are exceptions to the rule. When catastrophic things like that happen, all bets are off and people (thankfully) go out of their way to help others in ways they wouldn't normally.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
You've been lucky with neighbors then. None of my NY neighbors would've cleared a fallen tree branch from my house. Sandy isn't a fair comparison. Sandy, along with other rare events like 9/11, are exceptions to the rule. When catastrophic things like that happen, all bets are off and people (thankfully) go out of their way to help others in ways they wouldn't normally.
It will all be fine, you will come to adjust to the differences in human behavior and I am glad that you and your husband were not injured and your home did not have major damage. Take care.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It will all be fine, you will come to adjust to the differences in human behavior and I am glad that you and your husband were not injured and your home did not have major damage. Take care.
Thanks, it definitely does take awhile to adjust! You're right about the damage; it could've been so much worse. We were very lucky with how the branch fell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House