Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 12:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

You're pretty much describing a large portion of urban Phila houses.

https://www.pinterest.com/vintagephi...elphia-photos/

In South Philly (where Rocky was filmed) people accept there's only on street parking and generally are very patient with cars stopped outside or double parked for long periods of time. We have our own etiquette. Everyone knows each other and we know the deal. (LOL)

Sometimes you double park in advance as to not get double parked first.

Some blocks you honk three times and everyone sticks their head out the window to see who has to move.

We also do "median parking". It's our culture.

South Philly rite all wrong, says group pushing to end median parking on Broad

Ask Liz: Who

Built when there were no or few cars or nobody drove. Sometimes there was just an alley in the middle of a block for the horse/carriage or a block was renovated to use what would have been an alley.

Your description is kind of general but I don't recall seeing many single detached houses with no garage, carport or driveway in states I've lived.

Are you talking about urban areas? Then, yeah, it's not unusual.

Is buying a house in Queens with no driveway or garage a bad idea?

Adding garages is even a cottage industry in San Fransisco.

Garage additions in San Francisco, what you need to know. | Ashbury Construction

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-15-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 12:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I have a fairly short driveway but it's still a whole lot easier to clear that than it is to dig a car out. I speak from many years of living in Boston without a garage and have dug my car out more times than I want to count.

And if I had a longer driveway, I'd have a plowing service come and clear it when needed.
Really? I used to have a garage and would purposefully park the car in the driveway down near the street when it was supposed to snow. That way all I needed to do was brush/broom snow off the car and shovel a few feet behind the car rather than shovel the entire length of the driveway to get out. It saved me probably 3/4ths of the work every time I remembered to do it.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The garage startup is an egregious myth.

Apple Didn't Start In A Garage
Even the link states there is a grain of truth which begs the question of what would they have done without a garage?

Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Garages are an antiquated notion. Kinda like my Moms house had a "coal room", still a slot in wall in basement wall and a wooden walled room for the coal man so we could shovel it into furnance. She also had a "coke" dump in corner of plot. Burnt coal is called coke. A garage is like that now.

Kids near me are not interested in getting cars what is point with uber, taxis, public transportation. Soon we will have self driving cars. Several neighbors have lawn and snow service so no need for lawnmowers, shovels and many dont do any home repairs so who needs tools. Hardly anyone fixed cars anymore either and cars need little repairs.

When I was young my garage could not fit a car, it was filled with oil cans, antifreeze, tools, sparkplugs, buckets, sponges, lawnmower, shovel, rakes, bikes etc. All antiquated items.

The bike racks are empty, no one mows their own lawn, no one fixes their own car and very very few own cars they are leased so could care less if they get rained or snowed on.

It is 2016 not 1966. Cars dont rust and cars are now meaningless, an Iphone 7 is what kids think are cool not a chevy

It must be very different in Florida from my part of the SF Bay Area.

Never have come across anyone excluding a home because it has a garage... an old 10x16 garage in SF can rent for $400 a month easy...

I fix my cars, mow my lawns, maintain my equipment... never leased a car nor has anyone in my family or extended family...

Never had the pleasure to visit Florida so I will just have to take your word for it.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It must be very different in Florida from my part of the SF Bay Area.

Never have come across anyone excluding a home because it has a garage... an old 10x16 garage in SF can rent for $400 a month easy...

I fix my cars, mow my lawns, maintain my equipment... never leased a car nor has anyone in my family or extended family...

Never had the pleasure to visit Florida so I will just have to take your word for it.
I'm not sure they're talking about Florida. Or maybe sections of FL that I'm not familiar with. I've never been on the West coast.

I'm a dog walker and never ever was in a single family house without a garage or at least a driveway that MAY have had a garage at one time - but possibly was converted. Not including say, downtown urban areas with row homes, maybe. There are also many detached garages in the older historic neighborhoods.

And in new construction garages are a huge deal because of our outdoor lifestyle here. 3 car garages are very popular. One door with a small spot and a double door that won't technically always fit two cars - only if they're small - but a big SUV.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 PM

3-car garages are almost a requirement for upper end new homes... it is often a demarcation line as to status...

Old 09-15-2016, 02:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Garages are an antiquated notion. Kinda like my Moms house had a "coal room", still a slot in wall in basement wall and a wooden walled room for the coal man so we could shovel it into furnance. She also had a "coke" dump in corner of plot. Burnt coal is called coke. A garage is like that now.

Kids near me are not interested in getting cars what is point with uber, taxis, public transportation. Soon we will have self driving cars. Several neighbors have lawn and snow service so no need for lawnmowers, shovels and many dont do any home repairs so who needs tools. Hardly anyone fixed cars anymore either and cars need little repairs.

When I was young my garage could not fit a car, it was filled with oil cans, antifreeze, tools, sparkplugs, buckets, sponges, lawnmower, shovel, rakes, bikes etc. All antiquated items.

The bike racks are empty, no one mows their own lawn, no one fixes their own car and very very few own cars they are leased so could care less if they get rained or snowed on.

It is 2016 not 1966. Cars dont rust and cars are now meaningless, an Iphone 7 is what kids think are cool not a chevy

I don't know where you live, but I only know of one family on my street that has only one vehicle. And she's a single mom. Everybody else has at least two vehicles, and many have more. And we all use our garages. Garages are no more antiquated than bathrooms. The kids here call the bus the "loser cruiser". Public transportation here is for the poor. And who wants to ride in a filthy, smelly cab driven by some slovenly individual who doesn't even speak English? Uber is OK on occasion, if it's even available in your area. But nothing beats having your own vehicle. You have the freedom to go where you want, when you want. And parking it in the garage means you can stay warm and dry even on the coldest winter day. What's there to not like about that?

Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can't imagine ever living in such a neighborhood. The idea having to move my vehicle to avoid fines and/or being towed is incomprehensible. I simply would never put myself in such a position.
That leaves out a large swath of urban America. If you can be that picky, consider yourself awfully lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Nope, I still say it's STUPID. Just because the market is full of stupid people who prefer the garage turned into a bungalow or whatever, does not mean doing it is not stupid.

The only way it's not stupid is to do it and then sell out, move to a more reasonable COL area.
I love the way some people assume that it's a piece of cake to up and move. If only it were that easy!

Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
My home does not have a garage but does have a driveway. I am glad to have my driveway and would love to have a garage, but at my price point in this area, most of the homes did not have that option when I was shopping for a home, and other things like neighborhood, need for remodel/repair or not, etc., won out over garage when it came time to pick the place.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
3-car garages are almost a requirement for upper end new homes... it is often a demarcation line as to status...
Houses perhaps, but not necessarily homes. The most expensive homes in Manhattan for example are not the brownstone houses (though they are very expensive) but super duper apartments.

Generally those people don't drive cars themselves. They have one or more drivers. Its déclassé to have a garage in the building, its kept at least a block away. Like mews houses and carriages in the old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House