Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times

Advertisements

I got screamed on for turning on the AC with the back covered. I never heard someone scream so loudly. I was so scared . . I felt like an 5 year old. I was told this causes carbon monoxide poisoning so panicked and searched on the internet and I didn't see anything on it. I then made this thread to ask what CityData thinks. I saw some of the replies and then asked "how do you know it causes carbon monoxide, who told you that?" and I got "Everyone knows that! Whoever doesn't know that is lost!"

So I got SCREAMED on at home and then I got ROASTED on here.

Last edited by FreshFresh; 09-19-2016 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I got screamed on for turning on the AC with the back covered. I never heard someone scream so loudly. I was so scared . . I felt like an 5 year old. I was told this causes carbon monoxide poisoning so panicked and searched on the internet and I didn't see anything on it. I then made this thread to ask what CityData thinks. I saw some of the replies and then asked "how do you know it causes carbon monoxide, who told you that?" and I got "Everyone knows that! Whoever doesn't know that is lost! It's the same when it happens with a car . . ."

So I got SCREAMED on at home and then I got ROASTED on here.
Honey. Come sit by me.

Air conditioning and heating are two separate functions. While they are provided by the same piece of equipment, different components with different functions within that same piece of equipment provide the heat or cool air.

The air conditioner does not use combustion to produce cool air; it's all powered by electricity only, the home use of which does not produce carbon monoxide. Therefore, the air conditioning unit outside of your house cannot, does not, and will not produce carbon monoxide.

The worst you've done by turning on a covered air conditioning unit is to shorten its life a little through overheating.

When you turn the heat on in a month or so, the outside unit will not operate at all, so you can keep it covered. The furnace, which produces heat via combustion can produce carbon monoxide if it isn't functioning properly, so have it checked soon.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
That only works with radioactive radon. Radon from an A/C is non-radioactive. The worst thing you can get from non-radioactive radon is APS (acute paranoid schizophrenia) which is not nearly as bad as lung cancer, depending on your point of view.
Just in case anyone took that seriously, it was only a joke. There is no such thing as non-radioactive radon. Radon is always extremely radioactive, and would kill you fast if you were exposed to a significant amount of it. But the amount in the air is so little, it would take decades to kill you, and even then only if you got very unlucky. You can't even buy a significant amount of radon, unless you're very wealthy. People talk about radon in basements all the time, but the amount they're talking about is an extremely tiny fraction of the air. So little you couldn't even measure it if it weren't radioactive.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:24 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The worst you've done by turning on a covered air conditioning unit is to shorten its life a little through overheating.
You also make it not work very well by covering it. How cold does it feel when you try to run it that way? Probably not very cold at all.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:29 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Actually a complete burn of any of those yields no CO. It is incomplete burning that does it.
Every natural gas flame is subject to incomplete burning at times. That's why they all have a vent over them, such as a range hood vent or a furnace flue. The poison gas goes up that vent and outdoors, where it will be diluted so much by the outdoor air that it will be harmless.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:56 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
I...searched on the internet and I didn't see anything on it.
First clue.
First response on this thread- Second clue.

2+2= no.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:00 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The scary thing is that this person might vote !

Considering the majority of the OP's posts are in the Elections and Politics Forums- there's a very strong possibility.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 AM

45,399 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Back to some advice.

It's almost impossible to weather proof around an in situ window AC unit, covered or not. You'll get drafts. You'd be better served by removing it from the window and storing it while taking advantage of the closed window and storm window to keep heat in.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 AM

621 posts, read 1,124,196 times
Quote:
was told this causes carbon monoxide poisoning so panicked and searched on the internet and I didn't see anything on it.
No internet info that ties A/C operation to CO production...we call that a "clue".

Old 09-20-2016, 10:23 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Well, if the cover is on when the AC is running, then leftover oxygen will combine with the CO and now you will have CO2 and you know that it twice as bad as CO. I mean, 2 is greater than 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House