Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I love my house....it's an 1886 farmhouse I put my heart and soul into! Its my dream home ....I really LOVE my house...I feel so blessed to call this home. Omg....it was meant to be....I've never felt this way before....I feel like I really belong here!!!!! Its a wonderful feeling...its my 'soulmate'....do I sound crazy?
At least for me, as a huge fan of old houses as you seem to be, it would be very hard not to love a 1886 farmhouse as long as its condition was good, has a serviceable floor plan and, of course, was in a location that met your needs and most wants. You are lucky to have found a home that speaks to your heart so well!

It would be equally hard for me to love just about any tract house built after 1970, regardless of its location or otherwise livable enough aspects.

But I also LOVE our '20s Spanish Revival on a lush, terraced lot and in a fun neighborhood. Our first, and hopefully, last home. When we first moved in with our hand-me-down crappy college furniture set on the gleeming, narrow strip white oak floors and plaster coves, arches and mahogany framed windows I just had tears of joy walking through the house for months, amazed that it was ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I love my house....it's an 1886 farmhouse I put my heart and soul into! Its my dream home ....I really LOVE my house...I feel so blessed to call this home. Omg....it was meant to be....I've never felt this way before....I feel like I really belong here!!!!! Its a wonderful feeling...its my 'soulmate'....do I sound crazy?
No, you don't sound crazy. I feel the same way. I have lived in my home for 27 years and I will most likely die here. It feels like putting on a comfy pair of jeans every time I come home. What is surprising is that you would think I would be just the opposite given the work I do. Every day I go out and appraise some of the nicest homes in Los Angeles, from Malibu beach houses to Kardashian mansions. Still, when I get home, I am completely happy. It is "home" and I love it. Oh, and it's been paid for for years. LOL

Old 09-29-2016, 09:01 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I love, love, love my house. I was thinking about moving - beyond vaguely considering it, but not seriously considering it at that point in time. I had started looking at listings in my target area (selected specifically for the schools plus the location in terms of my job) which was a planned urban community on the site of our former airport here.

While I had never considered buying new construction, I decided to check out a model home with the idea that it was likely to be the style home by the builder that was going to be the best fit for my needs and my budget even though I expected to buy a resale, not directly from the builder. I walked into the model and pretty much from the very first second, I could envision myself living there with my son. The layout had everything we needed and as I continued to look and think about the choices I could make to really make it my own, I was hooked. I had gotten the price list for all of the various design and construction options and I started to do a rough estimate of what it would cost to get the house to be exactly what I wanted. Once I realized it was going to be in my budget after all, I was hooked. I went back again to tour the model home later that day and signed the contract for one of the final two lots left.

It has worked out just the way I envisioned that very first day - it's the perfect fit for my son and me, and we have both enjoyed living here very much. He goes to the school I knew was the right fit for him, and is doing great. And I love all the options I picked which included a bit of changing around walls and similar, not just the design stuff). Pretty much every day I look around my home and smile at how much I love it (which admittedly included a few pieces of new furniture since it was larger than my old home so I needed to furnish more rooms).

I hope everyone is lucky enough to get the same enjoyment and pleasure from their home.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I love my house. Of the houses I've owned I love this one the most.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:04 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
I'm going through a lot of guilt as my house is being built, most of it being should one person have so much?

BUT, on the other hand, I have two fantasy concepts that directly help me relate and others that I can slide into. The first is Yosemite Sam's home in "Fair Haired Hare" because my place resembles his a lot. The second is Flint's place in ST:TOS "Requiem for Methuselah" for my ten acres is like his planet, my house like his castle. The sliding concepts are like being Red Riding Hood and her home in the forest.

OP, you asked if you were crazy?

All told and long story short, I may not love it yet but I think I will eventually get there. A house where the cats roam and a dog or two can be with me on the sofa, where they all can say "Why worry about (whatever)? You got ME!". A preserve for deer, foxes, birds of prey.....and fire ants, wasps, and other things that hurt.

I think the biggest things that sucks the happiness out of a home are clutter and then the loss of the ability to dream. Clutter we all know about and it deserves its own thread. The loss of being able to dream needs to be watched out for. In my own situation as a computer worker, it was being bombarded at work with the wonders of the Internet and then coming home to an apartment in Central Texas. It was being awake at 2 AM Sunday morning, when you are the only one awake and there is nothing but the glare of the spotlight on the neighboring apartment building.

These are examples of things that replace dreaming with drudgery so the thing is not to allow these things to occur. For example, one thing that family have suggested is that on the ranch, away from the city, I take up astronomy. As a Red Riding Hood, I will not come home to apartments in Central Texas, but to a forest I can marvel about.

In two months, I should be able to start moving in and then have about 3 months to move my mostly packed life (reserving the last month for current house clean up). I expect to experience another state which might take away some from loving the house in those months in that a degree of disassociation from living in two places at once.

Whether it occurs or not, the point is to recognize what is causing one, me in this case, to love the place or not and then work on that factor. Do not misidentify the base state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Back in 1988 I custom built a home on 11 acres. It had everything, swimming pool, in law quarters, 3 story detached workshop/3 car garage plus a 2 car attached garage. immense pond with waterfalls, pergola and pagoda, 2 bay greenhouse with palladium windows, lush landscaped gardens, privacy, huge home with all the bells and whistles.

2 years ago we sold the house to retire and move from Pa to Northern Michigan and never looking back has made me realize that we did the right thing. We downsized to 2300 sf on a third acre lot and we are so happy. This house is a perfect fit with a 1st floor Master, Open concept kitchen, vaulted ceilings and much less work!

I think in every ones life the quest for the McMansion is alluring. The truth is it took 5 1/2 hours to cut the grass every week, because of work we rarely used the pool or sat in the shade of the pagoda. The humidity of the area made weeds grow like the tropics, our long driveway was a pain to clear snow and ice all winter, and my husbands business trips presented a feeling that the privacy and remoteness of the house would be a perfect scenario for a break in.

Sometimes simplicity is best. Our house now is tasteful and beautiful and I never miss my custom home in Pennsylvania!!!
To each their own. Quite frankly, McMansion is a bad word to me, having seen Hilton Head Island changed by that.

Myself, I wanted the acreage for water and shooting rights, for a place with lots of room to turn my engineering dreams (natural power production & water purification) into reality. Will the wild grass be a problem? That's what the goats are for.

I see this future as a learning one such as utilizing my land to learn how to produce to make a salad. Growing the vegetables, the goats for feta, maybe a catfish-crayfish tank for the "meat". Nothing will be perfect, of course, from learning how to handle livestock to figuring how to finance such and more.

Back to the in love theme, when all the answers are found, when there is no more to learn, that could be one way that love is lost.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-30-2016 at 01:21 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I love my current house (custom designed in 2001) and it's over-big- 1300 sq.ft. for me and the mutts. I never use the upstairs (a huge loft with full bath). I love the setting in the woods.

I plan to love my next and last house- my retirement house in the Mountain West, 2200 miles from the humid metro area in the East where I now live. It will be 780 sq.ft. and an in-town setting with the most gorgeous outta town you ever saw- and no humidity. I am also designing this house from a kit that can be customized. I expect to be very happy with the house and love the setting.

There are so few smaller houses for sale, I have rarely seen one I wanted much that was for sale. I can remember each one I've seen over the years. Just no small houses, and certainly none being built.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:25 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I love how open this house is ...I don't love the neighborhood though some trash and some who like us keep the house up and then some . Yes my next house will be my retirement home and my last house .

Old 09-30-2016, 05:22 AM

922 posts, read 792,182 times
I first saw this house 6 years ago when we came out here to visit DH's mom. She was living in it at the time, and I fell in love with it. She owns three houses in a row on this block, and the one she lives in now was her parents' house. All of them are totally paid for and the yearly taxes are very reasonable. This one was built in 1930, and has a lot of character. The back bedrooms and laundry room were added on. The kitchen is huge, and since I am in a wheelchair, it is great for me. When we moved out here she let us rent this house, and is now in the process of deeding it over to us. The only thing I don't care for is the bathroom because the tub is very old and it's a long, narrow room with the bathtub at the far end. We don't plan on ever moving again. We are happy in this house and feel lucky that it will soon be ours.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:02 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
It's funny, I have loved every one of the four houses I have owned. Each had very different features from the previous one, but all had unique and lovely features.

The first house was a townhouse in LA. It was just about the most ideal first home ever. The award winning design combined a great floor plan with a beautiful outdoor patio. Although it was smallish, it was charming. I loved it because it was so beautifully designed.

The second house in VA was huge and grand. It was over 3,000 sq ft of comfortable and stylish living. It was set on almost an acre of land and it was ideal for raising the two kids. Lived there for 16 years. I loved it because of it's comfort and beauty.

Next came the 1910 Cape Cod in MD. It was a 2 bedroom house that I renovated down to the outside brick walls. It was in an absolutely gorgeous garden type community and it was a lot of fun there after the renovations. I loved it because of the grace and charm of it's old age.

Finally, my current home in VA is modern, comfortable and very contemporary. It has large, open rooms, vaulted ceilings, beautiful light, and privacy. It backs to woods and a pond and sitting on the deck in the evening is peaceful and relaxing.

I am in the process of looking for my next home. I will need to relocate to PA in a year or so. Although looking for the "right" house is time consuming, I have always known it was "the ONE" the minute I saw it.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
There are a lot of things I like about my house. I like the large yard, the roominess of it, even though it's not huge, the four bedrooms, and the nice bathrooms. The master bedroom is huge. The kitchen is way too small, however. I don't love it though, and that's because Houston has very few historic homes. Most homes are cookie cutter tract homes in subdivisions with similar layouts that look alike; beige one or two story homes with two car garages, usually built in the 1990s or later, and the younger ones have microscopic yards, all in the builders' never ending quest for profit. It's like Pleasantville in real life. We will eventually move either to the East Coast or NM, and our plan is to buy an old house with character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House