Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that has an HOA
Yes 166 40.99%
No 239 59.01%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
people like you belong way out in the country ,on at least 80 acres

......MAYBE...then you can say " don't tell me what I can park in my driveway "

Most towns ........DO........have restrictions what you can park in your driveway within the city limits.

Thus, it isn't so much as HOA vs non-HOA.

People with attitudes like yours would have trouble living in nearly any/town city even if there are no HOA's.
My brother owns about an acre and a quarter in the country and he parks his 18 wheeler in his driveway. His lawn on one side abuts right up to the neighbor's lawn and on the other side his driveway and the neighbor's driveway share a common culvert. Not 80 acres, but also no HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
My brother owns about an acre and a quarter in the country and he parks his 18 wheeler in his driveway. His lawn on one side abuts right up to the neighbor's lawn and on the other side his driveway and the neighbor's driveway share a common culvert. Not 80 acres, but also no HOA.
key words.........."in the country"

Old 11-29-2016, 05:32 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
No I've just owned commercial property for many years. Never mind the number of houses I've owned over 40 years. About 20 years in high end HOA'S. Why don't you share your background on real estate. Oh yeah your so busy being right that would never happen.

Wow yet another internet know it all. Thinks they know everything about someone who posts on the internet.
Ugh. Haven't run into one in years.

Does it really matter that much to you that many people enjoy the life in a nice HOA? With all kinds of amenities we couldn't afford on our own. No I'm not getting a tennis court, or several pools, hobby areas, a golf course, a dog park, ceramics kilns, club house activities constantly? And these home aren't worth more in your mind or hold their value? You think we care what your opinion is vs fact on homes in my area. We just had one sell at a record amount. And this was a record that broke the one set in 2005 before the bust. $100,000 higher than the previous record. Oh no these home don't hold value.

Frankly I think we are all talking about various levels of HOA'S. Yeah some HOA's offer nothing, but you don't pay much to live in that area.

I've had one great real estate agent in my life who is everything you don't know anything about. Wow you just managed to insult an whole industry of people. Yes, I know a couple honest ones, you attract what you are. Might want to take a look in the mirror if you think they are all bad. Do you understand the better agents now have niches they only focus on? She's not selling lower end homes. Everything is about finding a niche now and focusing on that.

You don't live in an HOA do you? This is what it all breaks down to.
Sounds like a used car salesman.

The amenities you refer to are not owned by the homeowners, they are owned by the HOA corporation. The homeowners have nothing but a financial liability to the HOA corporation. The HOA corporation may or may not maintain the amenities. There is no rational reason to value the house more because of the property that belongs to the HOA. Unfortunately many prospective buyers and owners actually think (wrongly) they have an ownership interest in "their clubhouse". It simply isn't so. There is no reason to pay a premium to get a liability.

As far as a house selling for more today than what it sold for in 2005 - are you actually impressed with that? It's not anything to brag about - especially given that the house wasn't yours....

No one lives "in an HOA". They might live in housing the owners of which are burdened by involuntary membership in an HOA corporation.

By the way the plural form of "HOA" does not require adding an apostrophe.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:40 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post

By the way the plural form of "HOA" does not require adding an apostrophe.
Never heard that, do you know the plural of attorney general?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
key words.........."in the country"
I was referring to your "at least 80 acres".

Old 11-29-2016, 07:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I was referring to your "at least 80 acres".
and 2 mules.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:22 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
In the future, cities are likely to have better security. Cars are likely to have transponders that identify them to security systems. Wherever you drive in a city, it's likely to keep track of you. If a crime happens, all cars that were near the crime scene would be identified by the city security system.
It's a good thing that all crimes will be committed in cities, and that criminals will never travel on foot or by bicycle, use public transportation, ride with friends, drive borrowed / rented / stolen vehicles, or steal/spoof/bypass/disable/destroy transponders, remote controls, etc.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:26 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Nope. Too many busy bodies in the HOA's I've had dealings with. New development down the road from me has a nightmare HOA too.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Nope. Too many busy bodies in the HOA's I've had dealings with. New development down the road from me has a nightmare HOA too.
Evidently they felt the need for the HOA.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:55 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Evidently they felt the need for the HOA.
Apparently arguing over the amount and type of holiday decorations as well as the precise location of ones' garbage can on collection day is extremely valuable.

Yeah- no thanks. I have no time for people that concern themselves with such trivial matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House