Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:33 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,292,153 times

Advertisements

My mother used to keep her cataract in a jar of formaldehyde on the mantle after her surgery that removed it. She would show it to people and ask, "What do you think this is?" After I don't know how many years, it started to disintegrate. I don't know if she finally threw it away or if one of my sisters did when we closed up her house.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 09:56 AM

3,509 posts, read 771,068 times
went to a friend of a friends house one time and sat on a sofa and took a look to my left and there on the floor was a huge mounted rattlesnake in half strike pose .. haven`t been back ...

Old 01-15-2017, 10:04 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,809,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
My next house I want to have a room hidden behind a bookshelf. The centerpiece will be a guillotine. On one wall will be an electric chair with a (fake - or maybe not, you'll have to guess) cord leading to a plug and a big switch on the wall. A nice comfortable barbers chair in one corner for reading. And a casket on the other wall for naps. Finished by a suit of armor. With flickering sconces on the walls.

What?

I'm thinking it will be a very effective place to negociate contracts.

I should give you Bob. He's a rattle snake head with it's mouth open showing it's fangs under a solid plastic dome. It used to sit on an antique organ in our living room, but my husband sold the organ
Marry me

The strangest thing I saw in someone's living room was my husbands grandmother in her casket. What can I say, his family is weird.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:11 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,446,795 times
animal crazy, I have lived in two different Victorian homes which have heavy sliding wooden doors to close off the parlor. The deceased would be placed for viewing in the family home, the parlor kept unheated and the doors kept closed for viewing until burial.

If you ever travel to WI and want to see some strange things in a house make a visit to The House on The Rock. They have everything!

https://www.thehouseontherock.com/HO...otoGallery.htm

Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,809,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
animal crazy, I have lived in two different Victorian homes which have heavy sliding wooden doors to close off the parlor. The deceased would be placed for viewing in the family home, the parlor kept unheated and the doors kept closed for viewing until burial.

If you ever travel to WI and want to see some strange things in a house make a visit to The House on The Rock. They have everything!

https://www.thehouseontherock.com/HO...otoGallery.htm

I just saw it on an episode of American Pickers. There were some incredible Victorian hearses that were in a barn that were not on display. They were so beautiful. I'm so jealous of you Victorian houses by the way. Unfortunately my husband's grandmother was displayed in a crummy worn out ranch house.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,876,341 times
Probably the dead cat wrapped in newspaper that my "eccentric" aunt had in her freezer.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 AM

18,534 posts, read 18,779,287 times
I saw coal in a bath when I was little...our house didnt have a bath and one of my friends asked me to her aunts house to see that she had four bedrooms , a kitchen and a bathroom... to me back then that was like a palace and I dreamed about how it would look.. a bit like in the movies...NOT a bit.. the brass taps were green, the bath was also green and mouldy and filled with coal...

Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
When I was a kid about seven or eight years old, My father took me to visit a friend who lived in a huge converted loft apartment in Manhattan. What was interesting was the size of the single room space (I would estimate around 2,000 sq. ft.) lined with huge multi-paned windows, possibly about 8-10 panes high on two sides.

But what was really weird was that the toilet, a huge, ornate clawfoot tub, and pedestal sink were dead center in the room and merely surrounded by Japanese paper screens.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,913,790 times
A fetus of a foal in a large bottle filled with formaldehyde, kept in the guest bedroom (I was the guest). My dear friend whose possession this was taught college-level biology and anatomy. I never asked her where she obtained it...but I had to toss a towel over it before heading to bed to avoid nightmares! (see what I did there??)

Old 01-15-2017, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
A giant concrete sculpture of a penis.

Then there was the trailer our college debate team stayed in for a tournament. It belonged to a friend of the coach and we stayed there for free. We could only use the back bathroom though. The front bathroom had a partly (fully) butchered deer hanging in the bathtub and blood all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House