Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,894,895 times

Advertisements

My MIL has a large walk in pantry. It's full of small kitchen appliances in sets of matching colors, all in their original boxes, dating from the 70's to present day. She was talking about using some now that she's retired and I tried to explain to her that it might not be safe to use the oldest ones anymore. She was sure I was trying to trick her into giving them to me. This was while I was at her house replacing her stove because the stove top was held up with tin cans and she kept having to call the fire department because the stove (from the 60's) wouldn't shut off anymore. She got upset when I offered to take the old stove away, sell it for scrap (it was so heavy that I had to use the car jack to lift it to where I could get a dolly under it) and give her the money.

Before you start thinking I was nice for buying her a new stove, I didn't want her to burn down her house and expect to move in with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1 View Post
When I was about 10 I went to my friends house and the living room was complete mess , according to my friend , the dog kept making the mess so they kept it like that.

As a teenager, I knew a boy who's parents had the reputation of being eccentric. They didn't keep up their home the way others in the subdivision did.
The father was an engineer - but he dressed like a biker (which was very unusual for my area) and the mother looked kind of bohemian. She was known to go away to psych hospitals every once in a while. Looking back on it, I think she must have had bi-polar disorder.

Steve, my friend, and his brother were normal and good students.

I'd never been in Steve's house until one day, when my then boyfriend and I stopped by to pick him up. He had the tickets to a concert a few of us were attending.

For some reason he invited us in through the back door of the recreation room, which looked like a normal rec room of the era - paneled walls, rugged furniture, big console.

We went upstairs to the level where the living room was and to my shock - the living room had no furniture!

INSTEAD in dad was working on an old Citroen IN THE LIVING ROOM. His father was UNDER the car and there were car parts all over the Living room.
And motorcycle parts. At least one Harley. And that car...

We then went up to Steve's bedroom to get the tickets. My boyfriend and I exchanged glances.

When we left the house, Steve just said "the neighbors complained to the Town about my dad working on cars".

That was it.

It felt like a David Lynch movie.

I forget what concert we attended. But I will never forget seeing that car and motorcycles.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,109,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Penis enlargement pump. I had no idea what it was. Somebody had to explain it to me. Sitting out on the table like it was nothing.
You had no idea huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTSYPg-KxhQ

Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When we get baby chicks, we keep them in the bath tub until they are big enough to go outside. Never thoguht anything about it until someone visited and went to use that bathroom. They kind of freaked out.
Think of what the chicks must think.

"OK, Henrietta, what was MY childhood like? Well first I pecked my way out of that shell (boy was that a job), got dried off, then was stuffed in this giant box with two dozen other chicks and MAILED across country, to where I was placed with them in the big metal half-egg where we had to listen to humans farting all day. Is it any wonder I have PTSD?"

Old 01-16-2017, 12:59 PM

1,092 posts, read 834,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Outdoor porch swing.. in the living room. I think they brought it in for extra seating during a party and never put it back outside. Kinda of a novelty.. swinging a little while watching TV.

Weird that you posted this. Until I read it, I had forgotten that once at a bed & breakfast, the guest bedrooms had the prettiest white wicker swings! All decked out in pretty cushions & throws. Impractical, but lovely.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,950,051 times
We visited some friend of my dad's back in the late 1950s or early 1960s, and he had a complete chapel set up in his house with pews, an altar, and stained glass windows. He had miniature vestments and altar stuff made for his young son so he could play Catholic priest. Everyone needs a hobby, I guess.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,322,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A giant concrete sculpture of a penis.

Yep. For me, a giant plastic one.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,935,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
What?!?!How?!?
The decomposing body had rotted out the flooring and sub-flooring, so they had to cut it all away to get rid of the rot. The floor was to be repaired and replaced as a condition of the sale. The funny thing was that the buyer was there for the appraisal and when I asked whether it bothered her to have someone decompose in her living room, she just shrugged and said no.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,581,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post

1. A home in ritzy Hancock Park where the entire floor on the first floor was clear Lexan panels with water underneath and a couple dozen giant Koi fish swimming everywhere.
That would be pretty awesome to see!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
The most unexpected thing I've ever seen in a house was a glass enclosed open area in which a tree was growing in the middle of the home. The enclosure was open at the top, so the enclosure resembled a very small atrium. There was a door in one of the glass walls, to tend the tree, I guess.

Many years ago DH and I visited a home for sale in a partially rural area. If memory serves, there was an overturned chair in one room and what looked like a bullet hole in the window opposite the chair. We left there quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House