Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times

Advertisements

for those who have hardwoods in kitchen.. how do you routinely clean your floor.

I don't like the idea of simply dry mopping it etc. When I clean my kitchen I need to mop the floor as well with a cleaner that has a fresh smell.

I was thinking a swiffer... they don't get really wet. I also considered my hoover floor mate. It came with cleaner for linoleum and also hard wood floors... the cleaner for hardwood floors was I think by End dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
I'm a bachelor and not very good at keeping house. I have one of those open concept floorplan houses and when I moved in, I put in maple floors through the downstairs: dining room, living room, kitchen and breakfast areas.

I put down a rug in front of the sink and stove areas. I sweep about once a week. Other than that, I mop about once a month (ok ... I'm lying ... actually my cleaning person mops it).

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
we have hardwood in our kitchen and family room and hallway. it is an open floor plan. we do have rugs by the entryways to catch the junk on our shoes etc. and a rug in front of the sink. we dust mop with a dry swiffer, not wet. then we mop, but it is a special mop we got at the flooring store. the cover is like a towel. you only get is slightly damp, then place it on the mop. you don't want to use any type of "cleaners" on your floor. if you have any dark marks etc. there is a bottle of hardwood floor cleaner stuff you can buy for just those spots. whatever you do, you definitely don't want to get it really wet!!! just a light, damp mop will do the trick.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
I have hard wood floors throughout most of the house except for the bedrooms and the bathrooms...I use one of those mops with the towel-like covering also. I use that with my bottle of Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner and it does a great job of cleaning them and getting them very shiny. I use a dry swiffer beforehand to pick up any dust or dirt and I also use rugs throughout each room including a long runner in the kitchen in front of the sink and the island. That helps tremendously with catching any dirt too.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM

130 posts, read 524,648 times
hardwood all the way, and laminate fakewood none of the way. even if hardwood is more expensive than laminate, in the long run u will regret going with laminate.

one thing ppl might consider about "hardwoods" in kitchens. if u live in an area where u are constantly having power outages it may be a problem, because the ice in the refigerator may melt and the overflow plan might fill up and spill over onto your hardwood floors. and lets say, if it happens when your out of town, u will cry when u see what happens to your once beautiful hardwood floors .

Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,694 times
I vacuum the floor first. Then I use the microfiber dry mop with Bruce's Hardwood floor cleaner. Like the previous poster said, it does a great job. Leaves it all shiny and very clean. The microfiber/towel mops are a wonder for hardwood floors! And I've been told to never use Murphy's oil soap, the kind where you add water to it, because it has too much water and can eventually lead your floors to warp.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
I have hardwood floors in my kitchen, I have a generous sized rug in front of the sink/dishwasher area to catch any crumbs/spills, etc.
I vacuum the floor (straight suction attachment), use a dry swiffer to go over the floor, then I use the Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner with the special mop/pad that came with the kit... I buff the floor dry with a soft cloth or let it dry naturally, which doesn't take long at all. I vacuum/swiffer every couple of days, but do the mopping 1x a week. The floors look beautiful. In fact my entire first floor is hardwood flooring and do the same for those areas...Foyer, Living Room, Dining, Kitchen, & Half Bath...my laundry/mud room of the garage is vinyl flooring, nothing like wood floors IMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I have hard wood floors throughout most of the house except for the bedrooms and the bathrooms...I use one of those mops with the towel-like covering also. I use that with my bottle of Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner and it does a great job of cleaning them and getting them very shiny. I use a dry swiffer beforehand to pick up any dust or dirt and I also use rugs throughout each room including a long runner in the kitchen in front of the sink and the island. That helps tremendously with catching any dirt too.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I regularly use the Ergorapido Electrolux vacuum, and damp-mop about once a week.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
find everything you need to know here-

National Wood Flooring Association - Regular Maintenance (http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/maintReg.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
If I had my choice, I'd rather have tile in my kitchen, but I have one of these open floor plan things that I'd be hardpressed to find where to end the wood and have the tile begin without it sticking out like a sore thumb. I use Mohawk floor cleaner on my Mohawk floor for fear that "warranties" would be voided by using other products. I tried Bruce before and found that it still left that filmy residue. Guess for right now, I'm stuck with the hardwood, or rather engineered wood. Somewhere in some thread here in CD, I read that laminates or engineered wood is actual better if you have pets since they are tougher and will scratch less than real hardwood. Is this fairly accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House