Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times

Advertisements

Has anyone got a combination washer/dryer? I think I'd like to have one, but I just wonder if john q. public is happy with them, which model they have, pros/cons. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Are you speaking of a stacked unit or a single dual function machine... I have both and they have worked great.

The only reason to get a stacked unit, in my opinion, is when floor space is an issue.

The dual function machine I have came with a house I bought years ago... It is great in that I can do a load of wash and when the wash cycle is finished it starts the dry cycle... I only need to handle the laundry once and I don't need to be home to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I inherited a stacked washer/dryer when I bought my house and hated it.

The load sizes are small, and it takes forever for the clothes to dry because it plugs into a standard household outlet. Thank goodness the neighbors moved soon after we moved in, because I bought their "real" washer and dryer for a song.

The dual function machine sounds interesting. I had no idea such things existed!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Lots of variation on the Stack Units...

Sounds like the one you have is also the one that is popular with fifth wheel RV trailers.

It takes up about 24" x 28" floor space and only needs a single 120v outlet to function... as you said, you can only wash or dry at the same time... not both and it takes much longer to dry with a 120v dryer.

They also make 220v versions as well as larger... full capacity and also gas dryers...

The Dual Function Washer/Gas Dryer was a high end Philco, made in USA, Front Loader built in the early 60's???

Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Has a dual function unit once. Neither function wroked well, especially the dryer.

The Kenmore HE3 or whatever the newest version is are stackable full sized washer dryer units that work great. The washer spins at unusually high speeds so the dryer can dry a load as fast as the washer completed the next load. I think that the whirlpool Duet is basically the same.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,812 times
how do u get the dryer to work on the washer dryer combo, i just moved to macau and the apt came with the appliance but no manual. i got the clothes to wash but i don't know how to get it to dry. all i see is symbols and more symbols and only start and stop in words
a little help will go a long way as it raining and there is no where to dry my clothes.
thanka alot

Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
I have an Edgestar ventless washer/dryer, and yes it is is one small machine, and ideal for a single person. I chose it because I did not have to install vent ducting, it takes little space, and I was able to tap the cold water (it has a built in heating element) and place it in the bathroom. It runs on 110V.

This is not a toy, it is typical of models you find in Europe where space is very limited. The drying takes place in the same tumbler as the washing, you don't have to take the wash out to dry it. It uses the condensation method of dryng (sort of like an air conditioner) but it does take quite a while and can be fussy if you don't like wrinkles. I drain the water by using a hose to the sink or tub. It does about 12-14 pounds per load, and is a front loader. For drying I tend to split up the wet clothes and dry it in two batches.

For me it was the perfect choice, and it is now two years old and still working fine.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macau2008 View Post
how do u get the dryer to work on the washer dryer combo, i just moved to macau and the apt came with the appliance but no manual. i got the clothes to wash but i don't know how to get it to dry. all i see is symbols and more symbols and only start and stop in words
a little help will go a long way as it raining and there is no where to dry my clothes.
thanka alot
Try looking online for the manufactures website. You can usually find the manuals there.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I had a combo unit that washed and dried in the same machine. I will never have one again. The drums are small so the loads are small, they take forever, and if you let the dry cylcle finish, your clothes come out all wrinkled.

I now have a Whirlpool compact washer and a dryer that stack. I am happy with this unit for 2 people.

Lisa

Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,292 times
I have a Thor washer dryer combo - Thor: Washer Dryer Combo & Ventless Dryers - it's small but works well for two people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House