Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:00 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
As a electrician I found a light fixture in a shower where the water ran down the light bulb. The home owner had to be crazy.
I used to have a water heater shower head. 220 volts with the water flowing over the heating element within the shower head. If you got too close to it with your head, you would get a rather large tingle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
That must have been an old house.

The building code has required GFIs in bathrooms since the early 70.

I actually helped design one of the first GFI integrated circuit chips while working as a design engineer at Motorola in the early 70s. I'll bet GFIs have saved many lives since then.

Several years later, while using an electric saw plugged into a long extension cord in my backyard, my stupid dog Phineas chewed on the cord while I was using the saw. He tripped the GFI

If you buy an old house without GFIs, make sure you install them anywhere close to water: Kitchens, Baths, and all exterior sockets.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
They could have been electrocuted, shocked, paralyzed, and/or subsequently drowned. It happens. There's a also a big difference between "water-resistant" and waterproof. This instance reminds me of the Texas pastor who as electrocuted by microphone while in the baptism tank.

NBC

Fox News
In the story you cite, there was a fault in the system that caused the electrocution. The microphone never entered the water. Note that the woman with him in the baptismal was not injured.

In your original post, was the microphone wired or wireless?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Survival of the fittest
Your user name says a lot about your choices of responses to this tragic situation.....enjoy your pathetic existence.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:59 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
How would that have hurt you?
Seemingly innocent things can kill you, like an ungrounded guitar that killed Keith Relf of The Yardbirds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Relf

Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Police Release Last Text Message 14-Year-Old Sent Before She Was Electrocuted in Bathtub.

Police have released the last text message that 14-year-old Madison Coe sent before she was electrocuted while texting in the bathtub at her father’s New Mexico home.

Coe, of New Mexico, reportedly texted an image of her phone charger plugged into an extension cord to a friend along with the message, “When you use [an] extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you’re in the bath.”

Police Release Last Text Message 14-Year-Old Sent Before She Was Electrocuted in Bathtub
How does someone get to be 14 and still be that stupid?

Yes, I know that sounds callous, but geez, people. C'mon.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:34 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I used to have a water heater shower head. 220 volts with the water flowing over the heating element within the shower head. If you got too close to it with your head, you would get a rather large tingle.
Huh.

Did it have an extension hose so that you could take it down and use it on other parts of the body?

Just wondering.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 PM

490 posts, read 583,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How does someone get to be 14 and still be that stupid?

Yes, I know that sounds callous, but geez, people. C'mon.
I don't know. I wonder what stupid risk you were either aware of or not and taken so far escaping the reaper?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:19 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default A life cut short

Yah. Condolences to the family & friends. Absolutely, anyone who lugs around a cell phone & concentrates on it to the exclusion of recognizing risky behavior - is in trouble. She could have tested the CFI, I suppose, before she ever got in the tub - if she knew how & why it was important to test it.

Without that knowledge, she may not have known that any kind of extension cord in a bathroom - especially if the floor or towel is wet - is a very bad idea. If the cord was frayed, so much the worse. Some mistakes you simply can't recover from.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:39 AM

106,596 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, and don't take electrical stuff into the bathtub.
my favorite bath toys were my radio and my toaster .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House