Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 04:21 PM

4,555 posts, read 3,754,316 times

Advertisements

I want to replace my regular flood lights on the back of my house to motion sensor LEDs. The reason is that the most amount of break-ins in my area have been through the back door patio or screened porch area of the house. I always keep my screen porch light on, but wanted some extra security lights.

I currently have 2 eave-mounted, switch-operated flood lights that I want to convert to motion sensor LED security lights. However, all of the highly reviewed LED lights I saw were not compatible with eave-mounted installs. They all asked for wall-mounted. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a product with eave-mounted installs, LED, motion sensor and VERY bright? Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Sec...security+light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:15 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Question Eave mount? Or Soffit mount?

The two most common markings are "Outside Type" and "Wall Mount Only", often a website description will indicate the latter but when you pull up the actual mfgr's instructions it says "Eave or wall mount"

Eave mount? Or Soffit mount? Sometimes the unit is designed so that the sensor and lights cannot be angled appropriately when installed in an under-eave location, either they won't angle sufficiently, or light bouncing off the eaves will trigger the daylight sensor and turn the security lights into rave lights.

Looking at the referenced unit, you can see how the lights and sensors would point poorly if mounted under eaves:

Last edited by Nonesuch; 08-03-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I have been looking into this for a while. Comparing LED to incandescent or vapor lights gets complicated.

However, it seems that you get to about 500 watt equivalent and then it jumps to stadium type lights which require unusual mountings and look stupid. But they are workable. Some of them are very expensive.

LED light is difficult to use for things like driveway or yard lighting because LED light does not disperse the way other types of light do.

I am still looking for what I want, which is an LED that is equal to one of the big mercury or sodium vapor lights and will connect with into the standard electrical light boxes I have mounted on the carriage house. I want to light up the entire drivewway parking area (about 60 * 50. I would like to try it with a motion sensor switch, but I think animals may set it off so much that it keeps us awake. It might be better to just have it on all night than flashing on and off on and off.

The best option I found was a three light set up where each of hte three LED lights is purportedly equal to a 500 watt bulb. If was $180. I cannot remember where I found it, but it took me less than two hours to find searching on the internet. I did nto buy it because I do nto yet ave a letter to get me up there and other items are bigger priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House