Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on how much you spend on the mattress and what store you get it from. If you spend a $1000 or more then you won't need another one for like 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 05:45 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
FWIW - I asked my chiropractor which was the best mattress and while she didn't say which was the best, she did say she didn't care for the pillow top mattresses. That's the one that is now in my guest bedroom. I've had my Tempurpedic four years and there are no divots but maybe because it's a Queen size and I'm the only person in it?

The topper from Target for Tempurpedic looked interesting however, it said "spot clean only". I'm one of those people who washes her sheets weekly and the mattress protector every few months.

Does anybody know if those feather down bed toppers go under the bottom sheet or on top? I want something that can be washed once in a while.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 AM

887 posts, read 1,216,217 times
The solution to a bad mattress is to start researching a new one on line. I've found that after about one hour of reading reviews I can sleep like a log on anything.

First innerspring mattress lasted about 20 years, second one about ten, this last one about four. In between the 2nd and 3rd they pretty much did away with flippable ones.

So much info and no place to get reviews that you can really trust.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:25 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,030,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I'm wondering how often you buy a new mattress? Over the past few months I have been waking up with a stiff lower back and am wondering if my mattress needs to go. I bought it around 13 - 14 years ago and it is a "pillow top" which means I can't flip it over.

Since we are talking mattresses do you have a favorite type? I looked and there are foam, gel, pillow tops and regular spring. I sleep on my sides and my back.
I used to replace my mattress every 7 or 8 years or when I couldn't stand it anymore, but we got a Sleep Number bed over 20 years ago and it's still perfect. We had one brace replaced under warranty a few years ago, but the firmness is still adjustable to right where we like it. If we decided to replace it, I would get that brand again.

If you are a side sleeper, I also super recommend using pillows between the knees and under the feet. That more than anything has solved my problem of muscle pain that I used to have daily upon awakening. I am able to sleep longer, too because pain isn't making me get out of bed earlier than I would like.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Wow. I didn't even know mattresses "wear out" in anything like these time frames. My sister is still using my parents' 40-year-old mattresses.

We slept on a rectangle of latex foam I had cut to fit a truck bed for camping. Put it on a platform and it was fine the whole 10 years till we moved and left it.

The mattresses here are really hard and probably sub-standard, but with a Tempur-pedic topper we schlepped down in a suitcase, now we sleep very well. No box springs here. Seems like they fell out of fashion in the U.S. too?

Btw, we are sleeping on 2 mattresses since we had nowhere to put the guest one when we converted to an office. I think this is even more comfortable, though it's unique being up this high.

Amen to pillow (small, flattish, firm, decorative one) between knees. Started this after knee-hip surgery and can't go without it now.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM

33 posts, read 26,422 times
Default How about sanitizing methods for a mattress ?

I would like to "sanitize" my mattress and have researched this subject to death. The company I wanted to do business with do not work outside of Florida. Unfortunately I am in the East Bay Area of Calif. and no other company does what this Florida company does. This company in Florida actually takes your mattress outside and puts it through a sanitizing conveyor belt on the truck. The mattress moves through the machine and uses some kind of light or sanitizing method to clean it. I don't remember if there was a second hot water cleaning or not. Then the mattress is brought back inside. The closest thing I might do is have a carpet cleaner person come over and apply a hot water/soap clean to the mattress. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS?
Please, can someone help?

Old 08-16-2017, 11:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
FWIW - I asked my chiropractor which was the best mattress and while she didn't say which was the best, she did say she didn't care for the pillow top mattresses. That's the one that is now in my guest bedroom. I've had my Tempurpedic four years and there are no divots but maybe because it's a Queen size and I'm the only person in it?

The topper from Target for Tempurpedic looked interesting however, it said "spot clean only". I'm one of those people who washes her sheets weekly and the mattress protector every few months.

Does anybody know if those feather down bed toppers go under the bottom sheet or on top? I want something that can be washed once in a while.
you do realize you should not wash anything with down feathers in it right ? the feathers can get wet and never dry properly therefore creating mold in btwn the feathers .

Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you do realize you should not wash anything with down feathers in it right ? the feathers can get wet and never dry properly therefore creating mold in btwn the feathers .
You can wash down pillows, comforters and feather beds. I have done so many times. They tumble dry just fine, assuming there is enough room in the dryer. I typically finish them outside in the sun, but you don't have to.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You can wash down pillows, comforters and feather beds. I have done so many times. They tumble dry just fine, assuming there is enough room in the dryer. I typically finish them outside in the sun, but you don't have to.
Also down jackets.

I usually go to a laundromat where they have the extra large washing machines (bring lots of quarters). Wash once with detergent, wash again with no detergent to be sure all the soap is rinsed out. Then dry on low heat. I have never done a pillow, however, because I think they are too thick to be able to get all the soap out.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:49 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
We still sleep on the mattress we bought almost 30 years ago. No sign of degradation. I am average in weight and my wife is lightweight.

At the time, I went to Sears & Roebuck and bought the stiffest mattress they had. (This was also the most expensive - though nowhere near how expensive top-end ones are now.) Unfortunately, it looks like the equation of good though not tippy top quality, for a reasonable price, that Sears used to embody, no longer appeals to today's consumer, as Sears is rapidly going down the drain. I have no idea where one could go today for goods of similar quality.

In my opinion, if you get a good high quality conventional type mattress, of the very stiff variety, and then set it on a piece of 3/4" plywood between the mattress and box spring, you will forestall back pain, and the mattress will last a very long time.

The idea of replacing a mattress every 4 to 6 years appears to be a marketing ploy by mattress companies, or the result of buying inferior products.

Now, if you are a giant heavy person, the results may be different.
Last year we bought a mattress from our Hometown Sears store. A hybrid Sealy Cobalt deal. They have always been great to deal with, and usually they can get the best prices for us.. This replaced a mattress we bought at Ikea when we got married- 27 years ago

We still buy our appliances, mowers and general shop/home supplies from them.

The Sears Hometown model seems to be doing well. Smaller, locally operated stores selling at discount/liquidation prices and some offer repair/warranty right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House